We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Champagne?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,375 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Champagne?

I am going to Paris in October and want to bring home a bottle of champagne for my daughter who is planning a trip to Paris in February. Can anyone suggest a good champagne? I'm not a champagne drinker so I don't know what to look for.

Thanks!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,207 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Champagne?

Please do a search - I listed a bunch of them a couple of weeks ago under a post about Champagne but cant retype all that info now

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,133 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Champagne?

What your daughter would enjoy of course depends on her own preferences. If she is already a wine drinker, she might like one type - but if she rarely drinks wine, she might like another type (for instance, a bit sweeter than might be preferred by someone who drinks wine regularly). For that matter, does she already drink champagne? If so, what she drinks now is a big clue to the type she would like, and you can use that to select a good one that she would not see in the US.

I suggest that you go armed with names of good champagnes (for instance, the thread mentioned above), but then ask for advice from a wine merchant in Paris (e.g., one of the Nicolas chain, which are all over) based on what you know about what your daughter likes to drink. The champagne that might really impress someone who knows a fair amount about champagne might not be to her taste at all, so a waste of euros - besides which, of course, your aim is to please her!

Have fun, and enjoy the surprise.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,375 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Champagne?

Thank you for your quick responses! My daughter is a wine drinker and she prefers Dom Perignon or Christol for champagne.

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Champagne?

well buy a Ruinart Rosé .....

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,207 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Champagne?

Well, then bring her back one of those 2. I dont pay that type of money for Champagne since I drink it all the time, not just for special occassions. They'll be significantly less in Paris...

Was at a tasting before New Years and the guy from Louis Roederer served Cristal and what he called Petit Cristal - the Louis Roederer Brut Reserve. I couldnt taste the difference and its more in the range of what I'm willing to spend for every day drinking.

New York
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Champagne?

My best suggestion is to get her a bottle that she can not get here in the states all the ones others have listed though everyone is very good but you can get them all at home.

Go into a shop and ask them for something you can only get in France this will make it all the more special. You can also ask your daughter ahead of thime what her favorite one here and then you can tell the shop owner and that will give them a good idea.

Can anyone recommend a good champange that you can only get in France?

Cheers,

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,375 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Champagne?

Great suggestions! I think I will try to get her something she can't get here. Thank you again.

New York
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Champagne?

wow I just realized in my last post that I can not put together a sentence today. I think it may be all the Champange hidden under my desk....LOL

Cheers,

Level Contributor
3,493 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Champagne?

My favorites are Moet et Chandon and Veuve Cliquot. Mmmmm

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,133 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Champagne?

Don't forget that you will have to put this into your checked luggage (unless you are going to wait and purchase at airport duty-free, but that risks not getting what you had in mind). Not a reason not to do it, but just don't forget that point. There are some styrofoam holders available in the US for regular wine bottles (not sure about champagne); it might not hurt to see whether you can find one here and just take it with you, since this is a very special purchase and you really want to be sure it gets back here intact.

As to which champagne, I would suggest, since you know she likes Cristal and Dom, see whether there is a version that is not imported to the US (often this is the case), and get her that. Otherwise, I would go with the Ruinart, or Veuve Cliquot (the Grande Dame, perhaps the rose), or Billiacart Salmon rose, or a high end Tattinger rose. But, have fun choosing it (you might want to see whether whatever you choose has a presentation box for an extra special effect).