We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

good book or website for conversational French?

California
Level Contributor
324 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
good book or website for conversational French?

I have a good basic knowledge (from high school a million years ago) but could use a brush-up on phrases that will get me around in restaurants, shopping, ordering, asking directions, etc. Does anyone have a favorite? I bought Michel Thomas's CDs and they bring it all back but the tenses are giving me a serious mal a tete.

Merci.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: good book or website for conversational French?

My favorite is Barron's "French at a Glance" for carrying around. Nicely organized, lots of other useful information, phonetic pronunciations.

If you have a PDA, the UltraLingua French/English//English/French is excellent. Includes phonetic pronunciations and verb conjugations. Love it!

Any cheap CD you can play over and over again in the car helps with pronunciation. But, I wouldn't worry about it. More useful for understanding them than trying to speak like a native.

A good French Food Glossary is handy - one that is totally alphabetical and not "grouped". There's an excellent one on Patricia Wells' website you can download and print as a booklet (if you can figure out how to do that on your PC). It's far more comprehensive than nearly all the printed guides.

"French in Five Minutes a Day" is excellent, if it's not out of print. Looks like an elementary school primer, but invaluable for brushing up.

I took five years of French in High School and another two in college. I recall the verb conjugations well, but little else!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
790 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: good book or website for conversational French?

I have found this BBC website useful for brushing up on conversational French. I think it's quite good!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/french/

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: good book or website for conversational French?

I don't know if it's the same book as the previous poster mentioned, but my husband and I took a class this summer where we used "French in 10 Minutes a Day" and it's been very helpful.

amazon.com/French-10-Minutes-Day-Cd-rom/…

There's also a cheaper version without the CD.

sydney
Level Contributor
659 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: good book or website for conversational French?

Great website abcd. I have never learnt French so I've got a long way to go, but at least now I know the difference between Bonjour and Bonsoir. Thanks.

California
Level Contributor
324 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: good book or website for conversational French?

Merci, those were great suggestions. I have the 10 Minute book in Italian and love it, so I will get the one in French as well, and that BBC site is fabulous! Is the whole thing free? This is the first lesson I have ever seen that has audio with written French and English at the same time, which is my favorite way to study.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
790 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: good book or website for conversational French?

In my experience, the whole BBC website is free, and I think it's very well-done. It's been very helpful for me for trips to France, and to Spain and Italy, too.

Kansas City, MO
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: good book or website for conversational French?

Take a look at this website. bonjour.com