We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

age-old question but still confused - district to stay in?

Singapore
Level Contributor
141 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
age-old question but still confused - district to stay in?

HI everyone

I know this has been asked countless times on this forum but after reading through everyone's reply and searching for possible apartemtns...i'm still thoroughly confused!!!

I will be bringing my parents to paris in dec. It's their first foray outside malaysia and singapore in their whole life after toiling to give my brother and I a good education. So i would like it to be absolutely perfect for them.

I have read that staying in the 6th district is the best. But when I search for apartments, district 5 seems nearer to most attractions. So i'm a bit confused. I'm looking for somewhere quintessential paris but not too far off from the essential sights eg st chapelle, notre-dame. I know that eiffel tower and lourve and champs elysees is a bit further off, but i don't think my parents would enjoy staying near those places too much. Of course i would definitely get a place close to a metro stop, but i would like them to be able to wake up in the morning and walk down straight into the charm or paris!!

Please help!!!! Thanks a million!

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
548 Reviews
from US$72.50*
Skip the Line: Eiffel Tower Tour and...
658 Reviews
from US$73.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,213 Reviews
from US$121.30*
Eiffel Tower and Louvre Museum...
821 Reviews
from US$123.80*
Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
313 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: age-old question but still confused - district to stay in?

Two years ago, my husband and I took my parents to Paris for their 40th wedding anniversary. They had never been outside the US, despite paying my way throughout junior high, high school, and college for various overseas trips. We stayed at the Hotel Jardin de l'Odeon in the 6th. We were very comfortable, and my parents had a great time. Our trip was very short, only 4 days, but we managed to get a lot of things done. The Odeon metro stop if very near the hotel, which is within walking distance of so many sites, the Luxenburg, great cafes and restaurants. I think that my parents truly felt that they got a full taste of Paris in a short time. I highly recommend the 6th as a great place for a parental trip.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
nashville
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: age-old question but still confused - district to stay in?

I am as old as your parents and prefer either the 4th or 5th over the expensive, shop laden 6th -- unless upscale shopping is their motive and one would hope not -- I'd go for the 5th or the 6th near the 5th

but really you aren't going to go far wrong at any of the inner circle of arrondisement

Singapore
Level Contributor
141 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: age-old question but still confused - district to stay in?

Thanks everyone!!! Actually my gut feeling tells me that they would prefer the 5th as well. No thankfully they're not into high-end shopping. In fact none of us are!!! The shopaholic in my mom only comes out when faced with glorious produce and foodstuff!

I have read that there's a famous market in district 5, but i forgot the name. Would it be advisable for us to stay near there or would it be too out of the way?

Thanks again!!!

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,475 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: age-old question but still confused - district to stay in?

You are probably thinking of the food market on Rue Mouffetard(sp?)It is in the 5th district and would probably be great for your Mum. You probably wouldn't want to stay in that street itself as it seems to be busy all the time but anything near Place Monge metro would be handy for it and for travelling on the Metro to other sights. My daughter and I stayed in a hotel called Grand Hotel Des Gobelins on Boulevard St Marcel which is in the 13th just to the south of the 5th and only about 10 minutes walk from Rue Mouffetard. It is a little further from Notre Dame etc but still handy for Gobelins or Saint Marcel metro stations. We really liked that hotel and I would recommend it to anyone. Breakfast room was the only real drawback being small and cramped but there are plenty of places round about where you could get breakfast instead.

Mentioned in this post
Place Monge
Place Monge
73 Reviews
Paris, France
Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: age-old question but still confused - district to stay in?

jennee --

You're a good daughter.

If this trip isn't a surprise, why don't you let your folks pick out the hotel. The arrondisement really isn't of much importance, they're all accessible by Metro, and in my experience (a female) travelling alone, they're all safe.

You can look at reviews here on the forum ar you can Google 2 star hotels, or 3 stars, or 4 stars, whichever class you'll be looking for, and let them read reviews and descriptions and see which they would like.

If you want to make the decision, take a look at the hotels on the Ile St. Louis, which is right behind Notre Dame, and an easy walk to get there.. The Ile is charming, and has 4 hotels I think, or more correctly, two B&Bs and 2 larger hotels. It's a quiet location and is gorgeously Parisian in appearance.

Bon voyage.

6. Re: age-old question but still confused - district to stay in?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 01:17