We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wearing ballcaps?

Nevada
4 posts
Save Topic
Wearing ballcaps?

My mother-in-law is Parisian (living in US), and she has a small stroke whenever my husband wears a hat (usually a ballcap of some sort). This includes casual events such as a family BBQ...

For my upcoming visit to Paris, I wanted to know if it is okay for a woman to wear a ballcap in the early mornings when shopping for groceries at the outdoor markets and/or grabbing coffee, pasteries? I'm not sure if that is bad manners.

Thanks for any advice!!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,942 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wearing ballcaps?

It's not bad manners, but is approximately the same as wearing a 5' x 5' flashing neon sign saying "TOURIST" above your head.

My female Parisian friends wear ballcaps, but only on picnics or at the beach.

If you're hiding your hair, find a cute packable straw hat -- Magellan's has quite a few, if your local stores have already packed them up for the season.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
157 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wearing ballcaps?

I guess that means crocs are out of the question!

Newcastle
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wearing ballcaps?

Crocs just came into style this last spring to France .

We saw lots of German and Dutch tourists wearing them a year ago!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
157 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wearing ballcaps?

dhdees,

I think you should buy a baseball cap associated with the World Cup teams!! You will look like another one of the sports enthusiast running around Paris instead of an American.

(just a thought! LOL!)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
197 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wearing ballcaps?

IMO, Parisians do not think baseball hats are bad manners...just bad style. To them, baseball hats should only be worn when playing baseball. They will instantly be able to pick you out as a American. If you want do as a Parisian woman would do, wear a scarf around your head...there's a ton of ways to tie it. And maybe you can buy a scarf while you're there as a nice souvenir!

Nevada
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Wearing ballcaps?

Thank you for the advice - - I will NOT be bringing my cap!!

Anacortes...
Level Contributor
2,779 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wearing ballcaps?

Dhdees,

Your Mother in Law and I would get on fine. That is one of my pet peeves, too.

I come from a generation in which men did wear hats or caps, but would not be caught dead wearing a baseball cap. Those adjustable size things were given away during the depression at filling stations, or sporting events, to men who could not afford to buy a real hat or cap that fit them, or for little boys.

The sight of those sets me off too --- almost as much as visible tattoos.

Ok, end of rant.

:-)

Tours, France
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wearing ballcaps?

In my opinion there is one thing worse than a man wearing a baseball cap; and that's a man wearing a baseball cap back to front.

Can't make up my mind whether they do that deliberatly, or whether they just haven't realised it's back to front!

South Dakota
Level Contributor
669 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wearing ballcaps?

Ha! I think they wear those baseball caps backwards deliberately ...likely as a style (counter establishment, perhaps)..but it certainly is foolish as it defeats the purpose of a hat! (if using for shade/sun protection, that is!).

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,134 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wearing ballcaps?

I have never seen a women wear a baseball cap in Paris, but I have seen a few men, yes, it does scream " Amrican tourist," so if one does not care ( and not everyone does) then wear one. Frankly I don't think a women should wear one, wear a scarf,, or a nice sun hat.