We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cheap fast transport CDG to 4th?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
157 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
cheap fast transport CDG to 4th?

We're 5 adults with just carry-on bags (if I can persuade oldest daughter to ditch the "cute" suitcase she wants to inaugerate), and we'll be travelling from CDG, terminal 3, into Paris mid-afternoon (2:30?) next, well, May--I like to plan ahead!!

When we flew into Rome last year, we booked a minivan that took us from the airport to our door for a very reasonable rate, and it was nice to think that at the end of a long flight, someone else could take over the rest of the journey.

But I'm guessing, from starting to poke around into the same topic for Paris, that we could probably find a minivan-type-taxi at the queue outside the airport, and just go from there without trying to book ahead? Alternately, It looks like the RER option would cost us E.8.50 each from the airport to the Quai de la Rapee, which I think is the closest stop to our apt. at 3 Blvd. Morland, from which we'd have to walk a few minutes (not very many, though). I gather we'd have to switch to line 5 of the metro somewhere in the middle of Paris.

So my question: if it's a case of a few euros difference, is a taxi the better bet, or is it likely to take quite a bit longer and cost quite a bit more than the RER + metro? We'll be quite tired but are also trying to be economical and experience what it's like to be in France (rather than just in a taxi).

your thoughts? Thanks!

Dallas
Level Contributor
193 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cheap fast transport CDG to 4th?

Hi! This is a very common topic on this forum (I've been one of the people asking about this lately).

From what I've heard, and from what I've researched, a taxi ride into the city can cost anywhere from 40 - 50 Euros, plus there will be extra fees for additional baggage and people (although I'm not sure if there is a difference when you hire a van taxi instead of a regular taxi). The RER/Metro route will be MUCH less expensive, and with only one carry on item each will not be difficult to navigate at all. You might also want to consider other alternatives such as the RER to the city and then a taxi, or the Rossybus + taxi.

Hope this helps. I'm actually planning several different options just in case.

CA
Level Contributor
7,118 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cheap fast transport CDG to 4th?

Taxi rates are the same van or not.

The fees are 2,60€ for the fourth and fifth persons and 1€ per bag plus the metered fare. Just proceed to the taxi line. You may have to wait a little bit for a van. I would say not more than 12€ per person.

Shuttles charge by the person and would cost more than a taxi.

Your Metro stop is Sully-Moreland. Take RER B to Chatelet, then Metro line 7, direction Marie d'Ivry. Chatelet is a very large and confusing station.

UK
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: cheap fast transport CDG to 4th?

Personally, I'd take the RER option, changing to line 5 at Gare du Nord and getting off at quai de la Rapee, as you suggest.

That may just be a personal prejudice because I've gone back and forth on this route lots of times and never feel terribily comfortable with French taxi drivers, particularly if they get the chance to go fast on the autoroute. (You know the speed limit is 130 kph and if traffic allows them to reach that speed or faster, they will.)

Have a look at this site

http://www.ratp.fr/

and click on the British flag to switch to English. Enter the departure <station> as "Aeroport Charles de Gaulle" and the arrival <address> as "3 boulevard Morland Paris 4". Then click on "Route Planner".

The result initially will probably be a different route. But if you select the correct time of day, choose Shortest Walking Distance and Rail (subway, RER...) they recommend RER and line 5 too.

I'd suggest avoiding city buses if you're carrying baggage - that's my reason for selecting Rail rather than All Modes, which includes buses. And I'd avoid Chatelet station for changing trains if you can because you would walk for several minutes underground to get from one line to another.

The route planner says it's a six-minute walk from quai de la Rapee to 3 bld Morland but I'd guess that's a generous amount of time.

Unlike the city buses, Roissybus is fine for luggage as it's designed for air travellers but personally I'd opt for the RER.

CA
Level Contributor
7,118 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cheap fast transport CDG to 4th?

You are sort of equidistant to the two Metro stations, but going through Gare du Nord is a better deal--Chatelet is a mess.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
157 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cheap fast transport CDG to 4th?

Thank you all!

This is just what I wanted to know--which way YOU would do it, and the pain-threshold necessary for each option.

I will now do my homework on the website as directed and work out the best options for us.

I do appreciate all this advice--I know it's a common request, how to get into town from the airport, but the variables of # of people + lack of familiarity + budget have been hard for me to compute in the familiar formula.

Newcastle
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cheap fast transport CDG to 4th?

You could take the shuttle called www.bluvan.fr and pay a fat fee for 5 people on your credit card no luggage charge.

You could take the van taxi with a per luguage charge and the rate charged also depends on traffic slowness as to the cost. I paid 65 euros to go from CDG to 5 th two years ago.

USA
Level Contributor
28,020 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cheap fast transport CDG to 4th?

I'm a huge fan and most usually ardent advocate of the public transportation alternatives for airport transfers from CDG....but given the circumstances of you're particular situation....I'm inclined to recommend that you take A TAXI PARISIAN from the regular ranks outside CDG directly to your final destination. Even allowing for the 2,75 surcharge per person for the 4th & 5th passenger and 1 Â per bag after the 1st (these surcharges are added to--not included within--the metered fare) the taxi fare will probably work out to 70-75€ for five(5) passengers....which is less than any of the airport shuttle-van services.....and saves you leading a traveling circus parade through the RER amd Metro system.

An fixed-rate transfer alternative to a Taxi would be a pre-arranged, private shuttle pick-up for your group. If you book as a round-trip CDG-PARIS-CDG, rates usually discounted approx 10%. One such service that generally get good reviews from groups like yours is--

GRET SHUTTLE--

http://www.greyshuttle.com/

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: cheap fast transport CDG to 4th?

As the mother of a daughter who brought a ball gown home for Christmas, "just in case", I suggest that you tell oldest daughter that she's welcome to take her "cute cuitcase" with her but she must handle it herself, and if that means waiting for it at CDG, you'll be happy to make sure she has RER and Metro directions so she can make her own way to the hotel.

Sometimes you just have to wave the big stick.

Bon voyage.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
157 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cheap fast transport CDG to 4th?

Thanks, all! Contemplating your suggestions, I am having a ridiculous vision of myself leading a spangly circus-parade, waving that giant sequined stick--oh, I'm looking forward to it all!

anyway, on a more realistic note--I do appreciate your thoughtfully detailed advice. Laura.

USA
Level Contributor
28,020 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cheap fast transport CDG to 4th?

>>>I am having a ridiculous vision of myself leading a spangly circus-parade, waving that giant sequined stick--oh, I'm looking forward to it all!<<<

Actually...in Paris sequins and spangles....jugglers, fire-eaters and sword-swallowers, et al....might not even attract a '..ho hum..'. But the prospect of leading four others, rolling bags in their wake, through underground train station Correspondance passageways , up and down stairs, onto and off of Metro cars isn't necessarily one that I'd look forward to....

On the other hand, if you were also traveling with a menagerie...you could minimze some of the wear and tear on your party by loading the baggage onto the elephants and riding the camels, lions and tigers. Now THAT would be fun.