We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long to drive to northern Spain (for the Vuelta) from...

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
410 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
How long to drive to northern Spain (for the Vuelta) from...

We'd like to try to go see a stage of the Vuelta A Espagne while we're in Europe this Septemer. Approximately how long does it take to drive from Paris to the northern border of Spain?

Thanks so much.

Katie

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long to drive to northern Spain (for the Vuelta) from...

Hi Katie -

I think you're probably talking about Barcelona or that area, yes?

It might be way cool to see the race as it passes through Andorra too, and there are places where you could probably watch the peloton grinding up a longish hillclimb before flying down the other side. (I'm thinking that there is a pretty bare mountain top I've stood on where you could position yourselves and see a good bit of both sides.)

Anyway, Paris to Barcelona is around 1000km and would take 10 hours or more by car. You should probably reckon on at least 150 Euros for fuel and tolls. You could get there by train (overnight?) or plane and rent a car when you get there. Might work better for you.

Andorra is actually about 150km closer, but probably not a whole lot quicker because you will have more non-Autoroute driving. But you could take the TGV to Toulouse and rent a car from there which would probably save you a good bit of time over the Barcelona route. And the scenery going up into the Pyrenees is awesome.

Try playing around on these sites, the first for driving times and directions:

www.viamichelin.com

the second for train times if you are open to that option:

www.sncf.com

have fun!

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
410 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long to drive to northern Spain (for the Vuelta) from...

Irish, I was actually thinking of the Andorra stage!

lavuelta.com/05/ingles/recorrido/etapa11.asp…

Great minds think alike. :D

There is a climb finish, as well as four other climbs, so we should get some good action on that stage. Excellent advice. I'll check out those links you gave me.

Ten hours drive, huh? Hmmm.... This might totally remake our roadtrip down to Nice, then.

BTW, my "Espanga" was a complete brain fart. Emailing several French hotels, plus just the Friday ditzes. :D

Thanks again.

Toronto
Level Contributor
462 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long to drive to northern Spain (for the Vuelta) from...

www.mapquest.com click on "Directions" icon, click on "Europe" input start point, input end point, hit enter, gives you road directions, distance, driving time and a map print out.

It seems to be a new functionality of the site and I have been putting it to good use. Have a great trip.