We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Next Week- Waterproof Raincoat or Wool Type Coat and...

Ocean Grove, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Next Week- Waterproof Raincoat or Wool Type Coat and...

Yes! I'll be in Paris next week at this time. I am so excited.

What would be better for November weather? A waterproof raincoat from somewhere like TravelSmith or a comfortable 3/4 wool coat? I saw a Loden and/or red raincoat that I loved. The long black ones just look so.... serious!

Does a raincoat really need to be black or beige? Is black really the non-color of choice? Of course, once I start to speak there will be no doubt that I'm not French. (My hair may give it away also.)

I also need help planning out day one which should only be 2/3 of a day.

Then suggestions for Friday, Saturday, Sunday - as much touring and sightseeing as possible with a few glasses of red wine mixed in. We're staying in the 5th district.

I know that everyone's suggestions will really help. When I went to San Francisco Trip Advisor 'friends' really helped to guide me and create a great vacation.

Garden Grove...
Level Contributor
3,196 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Next Week- Waterproof Raincoat or Wool Type Coat and...

I took a wool coat to Paris the first trip and I hated it. It got wet and smelly and heavy.

I have a London Fog trench type coat with a zip out liner in red and another in brown. I take one or sometimes both of those coats.

Be sure you have gloves, scarves and hats.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,589 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Next Week- Waterproof Raincoat or Wool Type Coat and...

On the first trip to Paris I took a 3/4 length water resistant car coat and, luckily, it's zip-in/zip-out quilted vest-like liner. We hit rain which was taken care of by an umbrella, but also mist and very light rain for which I used just the coat. A cold, rainly day for which I used the coat with the liner, and the rest of the time I got by with just the liner over a shirt or a sweater. Whoever first invented this combo deserves my thanks as it was perfect. It was my fathers.

Pjk

USA
Level Contributor
27,935 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Next Week- Waterproof Raincoat or Wool Type Coat and...

If you look in Webster's for '..unpredictable.."....the citation will read '..see also: Parisian weather..'. So with this in mind...any good weather-resitant coat w/ zip-in/out liner will serve the vageries of '..unpredictable..' best.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,133 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Next Week- Waterproof Raincoat or Wool Type Coat and...

As you say, it's going to be obvious that you are not French - I would say buy something you can use the rest of the winter, and wear as needed during your trip.

Tralee, Ireland
Level Contributor
655 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Next Week- Waterproof Raincoat or Wool Type Coat and...

well i just got back the other day and alhtough the weather was perfect for sightseeing, crisp and dry it was VERY cold say for example , up the eiffel, early morning starts as we did, late evening strolls and definately on the seine boat trip.,i recommend a wooly hat scarf gloves and i wore a black wind proof thermal fleece type zip up jacket just to hip level. it was perfect. you dont need long coats as they are awkward for climbing steps eg;arc de triomphe.My poor daughter only had a wind breaker and was frozen with the cold!! So much for putting the childrens needs first!!!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Next Week- Waterproof Raincoat or Wool Type Coat and...

I am currently in Paris and the weather has been perfect. There is a slight chill in the air especially in the morning, but sun is out, and with all the walking, it gets hot fast. We've left scarves and heavy jackets back at the hotel. Best of all, no rain (yet)

BJL
Ormond Beach, FL
Level Contributor
466 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Next Week- Waterproof Raincoat or Wool Type Coat and...

I'll be in Paris Nov. 8-12 and have been watching the forecast and so far so good for no rain...looks like the early mornings and evenings might be pretty chilly, though.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Next Week- Waterproof Raincoat or Wool Type Coat and...

So are wool coats definitely out, then? I'm leaving in 10 days...

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Next Week- Waterproof Raincoat or Wool Type Coat and...

I'd say that wool coats are out... They get heavy when wet, plus they take up a lot of room in your suitcase. Why not take a medium weight, mid-length jacket, and just layer? Bring, or wear a scarf that you can tie around your bag if you work up a little sweat while walking, and put hat/gloves in your handbag/shoulderbag, with a compact umbrella.

I like black because it's easy to mix and match - and slimming:) But bring what you like and what works for you. Paris is pretty diverse.

Enjoy your trip!

Newcastle
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Next Week- Waterproof Raincoat or Wool Type Coat and...

I take a raincoat....a navy blue one ...I take a dark one because the metro is so dirty and it doesn't show so much!

Bring clothing to layer and also gloves and a rainproof scarf or hat and a small umbrella. The wind cuts thru one so I wear panty hose for under my slacks for warmth.

Have fun!