We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

restaurant for grandma?

york, pa
Level Contributor
48 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
restaurant for grandma?

i'm looking for a restaurant to take my grandma to on her first trip (my 6th) to paris.

i've checked out the website for Le restaurant Jacques Cagna and Le Coup Chou. Does anyone have anything good/bad to say about these?

Can you suggest any other ones? I'm on a pretty tight budget, but would still like her to try something delicious and "french".

thanks!

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: restaurant for grandma?

not exactly the same price. A lot of tourists on TA talk about Le Coupe Chou, have a look on their posts, personally i don't no neither one nor the other. French people are more sceptical about Le Coupe Chou. 2 suggestions : www.baths.fr (french and modern cooking) or www.ambassade-auvergne.com (traditional cooking) or, more for the decoration than the cooking, 2 typical brasseries : www.legrandcolbert.fr or www.bofingerparis.com ... Bon appétit

dallas
Level Contributor
166 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: restaurant for grandma?

I've eated at this restaurant many times and never been disappointed. Prices are reasonable and, well, you can read the review below...

WADJA

10, Rue de la Grande-Chaumière

Paris 6.

Telephone: 01 46 33 02 02.

Métro: Vavin.

Closed Sunday, Monday lunch, and the week of August 15. Menus at 15.50 € and 25 €. A la carte, 35 €.

I’ll be frank. Sometimes my dream bistro dinner – on a quiet weekday with friends – is the most simple of all. Happiness comes in the form of a truly simple green salad, a full-flavored historic French bistro dish (such as a great blanquette de veau) and a shared bottle or good red country wine.

I often find simple bistro bliss at Wadja, starting with their Salade Simple (oh, a chef who actually OFFERS just greens in their best form, perfectly dressed), and a marvelous seven-hour leg of lamb, part of it cooked long and slow until it melts into a confit, another part cooked oh so quickly so you get the best of both.

For lighter fare, try to grilled swordfish or espadon, or for non-lighter fare try the cassoulet, loaded with good beans, a crusty, hearty dish that does the trick when you are really hungry.

The place is tiny, service lovely, and the wine list a revelation, full of all the greatest hits from the Loire, the Rhône and the Languedoc. A fine neighborhood spot if there ever was one.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
16,077 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: restaurant for grandma?

Jacques Cagna is amazing. One of the best meails I've ever had in this city. But it is a long, drawn out gastronomic affair and not what I'd recommend for one on a tight budget.

LCC is a tourist joint loved by foreign and French tourists a like. You don't go there for the food, although many people on TA seem to love the atmosphere.

Josephine, Chez Dumonet and Chez Denise, La Tour Monthelry are too of my favorite traditional joints these days. J is much more high end gastronomic, the meal takes longer, and is a much calmer, more relaxed affair. CD is bustling and classic and delicious and offers outstanding people watching.

york, pa
Level Contributor
48 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: restaurant for grandma?

thanks! i'll pass these on to mom to see what she thinks! :)

USA
Level Contributor
28,044 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: restaurant for grandma?

Unfortunately, neither of your choices offer Hogmah, Ham & Green Beans, Pork & Sauerkraut, etc on their menus....and you won't find decent Funnel Cake anywhere in Paris...and just for a laugh, try asking the sommelier for Naylor's '..York White Rose..' to go with your fish.

Of the two choices...I think you'll fine that RESTAURANT Le COUPE-CHOU is going to be kinder to a tight budget. The food here is good...but nowhere near as good as Jacques Cagna. But having said that...you will find basically good food, at moderate prices, attentive service and a positively '..charming..' ambience. What you get at Le Coupe-Chou is a '..package..'..and in this respect it's a wonderful little place.

In the same general vicinity, check out--

L' ATELIER MÂITRE ALBERT--1 rue Maitre Albert (just in from quai de Montebello), 75005, Metro: Maubert-Mutualité--

ateliermaitrealbert.com/fr/…maitreAlbert.html

A bit farther to the west, just across into the 6eme-Saint Germain des Prés, check out--

RESTAURANT ALLARD--41 rue Saint André des Arts (at rue de l'Eperon, 75006, Metro: Odeon--

bestrestaurantsparis.com/restaurant-paris/de…

RESTAURANT Le CHRISTINE--1 rue Christine (at rue des Grands Augustins) 75006, Metro: Odeon--

http://www.restaurantlechristine.com/

ROTISSERIE d'EN FACE--2 rue Christine (at rue des Grands Augustins...a Jacques Cagna '..baby bistro..'), 75006, Metro: Odeon-

http://www.jacquescagna.com/usardf.htm

FISH--69 rue de Seine, 75006, Metro: Mabillon--

http://www.yikes.com/~patty/html/fish.html

RESTAURANT VEGENENDE--142 Blvd. Saint Germain (at rue Gregoire de Tours), 75006, Metro: Odeon & Mabillon--

http://www.vagenende.fr/

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,593 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: restaurant for grandma?

I liked this little restaurant on the Ile St Louis when I dined there last October with TA's Paris_1204. We had the cheapest menu and it was very nice and the owner and waiter were friendly and attentive. I think it would be just the thing for your grandmother.

http://www.letastevin-paris.com/

Level Contributor
767 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: restaurant for grandma?

I would second Phread on Josephine, Chez Dumonet. We ate there this September and it was eating in a restaurant with amosphere from a Paul Muni, Humphrey Bogart film. Excellent food and very attentive service at moderate prices. We also enjoyed Senderens, Taillevant and Ambroiserie but they are much morre expensive although the set lunch at Tailevant or at Le Grand Vefour could be doable.

But if your grandma is in her 60s or older she will enjoy Chez Dumonet. Geat duck confit!

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,351 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: restaurant for grandma?

I would strongly and happily recommend the classic bistro Au Petit Marguery, in the 13th.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
67 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: restaurant for grandma?

We (family of four - two adults, two teenagers) ate at Christine's on Sunday night after reading these recommendations and it was the best food we have eaten in five weeks of travelling around the UK and Ireland (Mitchell's in Kenmore Ireland is a close second!!). I can happily endorse the recommendations for Christines - the ambience was lovely, the staff friendly and the food sublime. Mind you, we bought food to take home to our apartment in Paris from Lafayette's food hall and, while expensive, was perfect in every way, so for quality 'take away' I can recommend them too!!!

york, pa
Level Contributor
48 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: restaurant for grandma?

mmmm...pork and saurkraut! KDKSAIL that sounds like a great idea! i might have to eat some of that before i leave on thursday! :)

your suggestions are all REALLY appreciated! i made a word document with all the restaurant info (address, phone, etc). i think we are going to play it by ear!

thanks!