We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Paris -just 3 days -what to do ?

Limerick
3 posts
Save Topic
First time in Paris -just 3 days -what to do ?

Hi all.

I'm a first time poster, so please don't be angry if this has already been 'talked to death' on this forum !!

We are getting married on Valentines day 2008, and since we're on a tight budget, we have opted for a romantic 3-day weekend break in Paris as our honeymoon. Neither of us has ever been to Paris before.

Given that we don't really want to spend those few precious days standing in queue's for the major sights...i'd appreciate any advise.

We already have a free 1 hr cruise on the Seine, compliments of the travel agency, and are booked into Pavillion Pereire Arc De triumph (which doesn't seem to have gotten great reviews on this forum i'm afraid ...but was one of the cheapest !!).

The Eiffel Tower i suppose is a 'must see', and of course we have the cruise to look forward to, but other than that i'm not sure what else

Any advise where to go would be very much appreciated..

Thanks in Advance

Cal

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
548 Reviews
from US$72.50*
Skip the Line: Eiffel Tower Tour and...
658 Reviews
from US$73.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,213 Reviews
from US$121.30*
Eiffel Tower and Louvre Museum...
821 Reviews
from US$123.80*
Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in Paris -just 3 days -what to do ?

well what i always suggest is a city tour which allow you to have a global sightseeing of Paris, try : www.carsrouges.com (hop on/off tour). Then interest in visiting museums : most visiting museums are : musée quai d'orsay and musée du louvre ... Any interest in african, asian and oceanian arts : musée du quai branly ....

Don't miss Notre Dame de Paris, the St Germain des Prés area with numerous arts galleries at rue de Seine and surroundings,

walk on the Champs Elysées, walk in the Marais and the Place des Vosges ...Don't miss the Tour Eiffel scintillation the first 10 minutes each hour from dark till midnight or ?? . More time to spend, try the Canal St Martin boat trip, very intersting ....You will be ready for a second trip in Paris, no doubt ....

enjoy your stay ....

Limerick
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in Paris -just 3 days -what to do ?

Thanks a million or your response philpetrus.

I've been browsing the forum ( you can tell i'm a newbie !!), and i've now started looking at Paris Tours at Viator.com.

Seeing as its our very first trip (and our honeymoon), we won't want to try to pack too much in..so i've taken note of your suggestions, and am going to do as much research as possible before we go so that we can have a relaxing weekend while still getting to see at least some of the sights, without getting lost/cold/tired/fed up !!

Best to take one of the Tours, and leave the decision in the hands of those who know the city better !

Again, thanks for your response.

Cal.

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in Paris -just 3 days -what to do ?

Congratulations!

We're also planning our honeymoon... we're going in May for 9 days, and I feel like we're short on time! I was fortunate enough to spend a month in France when 20+ years ago, and we got a quick bus tour of Paris before we flew home. I was hooked, and have been waiting to go back ever since!

There are some tours (bus and boat) that allow you unlimited stops for a single fee... I'd recommend taking one of those tours by riding the whole route without stopping, making note of what you'd like to see, then re-ride the route and hop on and off where you'd like.

Batobus also seems like a great way to get around the center of town, since it cruises the Seine, and stops near all the major attractions.

Must-sees: Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, Champs Elysees, Louvre. I'd recommend a half-day at Versailles if you can swing the time.

Most important: you're on your honeymoon. Relax, enjoy yourself and the company of your new spouse!

Oregon
Level Contributor
5,195 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in Paris -just 3 days -what to do ?

I'd recommend not spending the time to go up to the top of the Eiffel Tower. The best part about the Eiffel Tower is looking at it, not looking down from it. It is gorgeous when it twinkles. You can get a get view of the city either from the top of the Arc de Triumph (and don't have to stand in line to do it--either climb the stairs or take the elevator--yes there is an elevator. You get the best view in the city from the Tour Montparnasse--56 stories high--and they have the sites labeled on a board so you can see what you are looking at.

I recommend taking a segway tour from viator.com or Fat Tire Bikes. They have a morning tour or an evening tour. The evening tour allows you to see the beautiful lights of Paris plus La Tour Eiffel twinkling. It is so much fun! It is a great honeymoon event because it is so unusual.

Tour the outside and inside of the Paris Opera Garnier. Easily one of the most beautiful buildings on earth. They charge 8E! Once you have seen it, you will long to return to Paris to see an event at the Opera Garnier.

Be sure to walk through Le Jardin du Louxembourg. There are many beautiful parks in Paris but this one is so spectacular!

Florida
Level Contributor
17,382 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in Paris -just 3 days -what to do ?

I would advise changing your hotel, if it is possible. For such a short visit, and in cold weather, you want to be more centrally located than by an outer edge of the city. There are many affordable hotels in better locations that you could book.

Hotel Familia 99-109€ breakfast INCLUDED

http://www.hotel-paris-familia.com/

11, rue des Ecoles 75005 Metro: Cardinal Lemoine

Hotel Louvre Forum 95-105€ breakfast 9€ pp extra

http://www.paris-hotel-louvre-forum.com/

25 rue du Bouloi 75001 Metro: Louvre-Rivoli

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,133 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in Paris -just 3 days -what to do ?

There are several threads where people have posted and gotten comments about proposed intineraries for a short stay (here's a link to one: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k1393513-3_day_Itinerary_Comments_Welcome-Paris_Ile_de_France.html). It can be helpful to look at what other people have posted, just to get some ideas.

Another suggestion (which I have not tried myself, but several others have commented favorably) is a free walking tour that got some good comments in an early thread, and that might be an introduction to the city: tripadvisor.com/…8958066

Have fun with your planning, and enjoy the trip!

Limerick
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First time in Paris -just 3 days -what to do ?

Thank you all for your responses.

Fantastic advise. Much appreciated.

Cal.

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,145 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time in Paris -just 3 days -what to do ?

Hi

There are lots of things to see and do in Paris....Notre Dame, Versailles, Arc de Triomph, beautiful churches, Rodin museum etc. My wife and I went to Paris in April last year and we stayed there for a week. Send me a mail on gardkarlsen@hotmail.com and I'll send you my trip report with pictures and links. Maybe you can find some useful info there to start with :-)

Regards

Gard

County Durham
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: First time in Paris -just 3 days -what to do ?

Hi Cal,

Congrats in advance!

My Wife and I have only been to Paris for three days in October 2007? What we enjoyed most was finding the Louvre, admiring the beautiful buildings. Strolling through the fairly quiet gardens up the Champs Elysees towards the Arc De Triomphe. The gardens are lovely with modern outdoor art on display, such as, van in a pond, giant wellies, stiletto heels made from saucepans? Plus outside bars for a snack or drink. Coffee when you get higher up the Champs Elysees, then the splendid Arc de Triomphe.

Plenty of opportunity for hand in hand, sitting on benches (rare in Paris!) cuddling etc. Our slow romantic stroll took about four hours, including lunch.

Have a wonderful wedding/honeymoon!

10. Re: First time in Paris -just 3 days -what to do ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 00:16