We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A first tip to Paris!!

Ireland
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Topic
A first tip to Paris!!

I hope to travel to Paris in February. It will be my first time to go there and I have no idea as to where I should stay location wise. I am travelling with my parents both of whom are in their seventies. While they are pretty mobile I would like to base them in an area that is within reasonable striking distance of the attractions and will have plenty of parisien atmosphere. Any suggestions would be really appreciated!! Tthanks.

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: A first tip to Paris!!

want to rent an apart in a great location ? try id122 on www.vacationinparis.com

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,950 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A first tip to Paris!!

If you rent an apartment, make sure it has an elevator as some I have looked at are on 4th and 5th floors plus, and have no elevators, fine for most, but after a long day sightseeing 8 or 10 flights of stairs could exhaust a 70 yr old( or me ! LOL) .

Central arrondissmonts for being close to many sites to walk to are 4th 5th 6th and 1st. . .. 3rd and 7th are nice too. For my first choice I now like the 6th, although I have stayed in the 1st, 5th, 6th and 9th.

Get as close to river as you can as most sites seem to line one side or another ( except of course Sacre Couer.

nashville
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A first tip to Paris!!

Joan is right -- be sure to confirm there is an elevator -- if it doesn't mention one, there is not one -- if it does, there may not be one

I think some apartment copy is boilerplate and things may creep in that are not accurate -- we once had a 5th floor walkup in the Latin Quarter that was advertised as having an elevator but didn't -- we didn't mind -- I am sure the walk down and back up 5 flights every morning to get the croissants probably kept me from gaining wait munching through the chocolate pastries -- but for my mother at 80 when we toured with her, or your parents in their 70s it might be a catastrophe

I would recommend the Latin Quarter and perhaps even the Hotel des Grande Ecoles -- easy stroll to many restaurants and to Notre Dame and the Seine -- and the hotel is I think only 2 stories -- and you could request a ground floor room

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,142 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A first tip to Paris!!

Hi

I think the main issue should be to have a hotel near a metro station so that you can get around. The attractions of Paris are spread out so it is not possible to walk to all places...well, unelss you really enjoy walking of course :-) I stayed at the Hilton near the Eiffel tower on a business trip a couple of months back and I understand that you can get good deal there via hotwire.com . Check out my Paris Google map on http://gardkarlsen.com/paris_france_map.htm . I have tried to mark where the hotels that I have used are located (yellow pins) and where some of the attractions are located. Click the markers for more info. Hope this helps :-)

Regards

Gard

gardkarlsen@hotmail.com

Anacortes...
Level Contributor
2,671 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A first tip to Paris!!

Close to a bus stop, rather than a Metro station, would be better for your parents. The Metro has a LOT of stairs, and long walks changing trains. I'm in my 70's, and my wife and I got around almost exclusively by bus last month.

The buses are frequent, and easy to board and get off. Besides, you get to see a lot more of the city from a bus than by going down into a black tunnel, and coming up to a strange place with no idea where you now are, in relationship to where you have just been.

I'm sure you will all enjoy Paris!

:-)

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: A first tip to Paris!!

well folks sometimes people in their seventies are more active than youngers...

Ireland
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: A first tip to Paris!!

Thanks so much for all your help! I'm looking forward to the trip away! Regards to all.

8. Re: A first tip to Paris!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2007, 15:48
9. Re: A first tip to Paris!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 10:24