We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must Eats in Paris ?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
nyc
Level Contributor
643 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Must Eats in Paris ?

I have seen several places mentioned multiple times like:

Taverne du Sargent Recruiter, and Le Coupe Chou. What other ones would you say a 1st time visitor should eat at ?

France
Level Contributor
1,787 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Must Eats in Paris ?

Highly depends on the budget and personal food preferences, I'd say.

Without giving any particular names here, go at least to:

- one typical brasserie

- one small neighbourhood bistrot and, if your budget allows, to

- one starred restaurant, preferably for lunch, because it's considerably cheaper.

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must Eats in Paris ?

What kind of restaurants are you seeking? if you can narrow down a few of your preferences, I think you'll get some great responses on this site. For instance:

Price range for the meal per person. Dinner or lunch?, Simple French meals or the haut cuisine? Regional preferences if any, and of course atmosphere. For instance, if the food is great but the restaurant isn't very romantically Parisian or it's out in the boonies... etc. Anything specific?

nyc
Level Contributor
643 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must Eats in Paris ?

Metromole -

Yes, lunch or dinner for typical French - looking for good food priced anywhere up to 40 euros/pp, somewhere near center of Paris. Looking for quality food (1st priority) with a nice/friendly atmosphere as the second priority. Any suggestions ?

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Must Eats in Paris ?

We try a new restaurant every one to two weeks. We usually only eat out at lunchtime because most restaurants in the low to mid-price range don't offer a significantly different menu for dinner.

I'm sure I'm beginning to sound like a broken record to the regulars on this site because the places we are frequenting this month are especially pleasing. Here's what I've posted on other threads in the last few days:

-----

We just had another superb lunch today at "le 3" in the Marais. Fixed price menu is 15EUR for lunch and 23EUR for dinner and includes 3 courses and a 1/4 of wine. Food is excellent and the presentation of the highest order. Add a couple of coffees and 2 people are out of there for less than 35EUR.

3 rue St. Croix de la Bretonnerie at rue Vieille du Temple

75004 Paris 01 42 74 71 52

Metro: Hotel de Ville or St. Paul

Another good bistro is "l'Industrie" in the Bastille. Great sauces and meat dishes. Friendly and informal atmosphere and staff.

Corner of rue Ste. Sabin and rue Sedain directly north of Bastille.

Metro: Bastille or Breguet Sabin

"Jacques Melac" is a wonderful little restaurant owned by the infamous handle-bar moustashed Jacques. The food is traditional French from the Aveyron region and it's terrific.

In the old French style, when you order wine, you get a bottle and a glass. When you're done, a wooden measuring stick is held to the bottle and that's what determines the cost. The wines are excellent and affordable.

It's a little out of the way in the 11th Arr. but worth the journey.

42 rue Leon Frot

Paris 75011

Metro: Charonne

-----

For the record, I'm not trying to be a restaurant critic and don't have any aspirations... Claudia and I are always seeking the best 15EUR lunches (<30EUR dinners) in Paris and we seek them daily. We have found dozens of jewels but what I offer here is what we keep returning to. next month it'll be different I'm sure.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
15,725 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Must Eats in Paris ?

You can skip Le Coupe Chou. Some TA members met there and left terribly disappointed.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
15,725 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Must Eats in Paris ?

Oh never mind, I think that it was Chartier that bombed...

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Must Eats in Paris ?

A BIG yes from me on Jacques Melac. Well worth going out of your way for, IMO.

And, said he joining the broken record club, one of my favorites is Le Petit Marguery on the blvd du Port-Royal, metro Gobelins. No it's not quite in the center of Paris, but it's really not that far away. It's in your price range, and has just the right combination (for me at least...) of really good food, "correct" service and friendly atmosphere. I think some of the waiters have been there since the day the place opened, which wasn't exactly yesterday. But they don't seem to age, and they give the impression that they wouldn't be happy anywhere else.

The only thing wrong is that it's even better in the fall when game is in season than it is the rest of the year...

And I will definitely pay "le 3" a visit when I am there in September. Thanks, metromole!

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,877 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Must Eats in Paris ?

I would give Chartier a nod - maybe not because of the food, but because of the ambience.

Sure it isnt a Michelin restaurant - It's Paris in the raw. A heaving thriving barn of a place. Avoid the "Menu" if possible (usually bit on the weak side) but for a big meal at reasonable prices, you will go a long way to beat it

summerfield nc
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Must Eats in Paris ?

Bistro du Papa, 81 (or 82) Avenue Bosquet, 7th, metro: Ecole Militaire- the BEST french onion soup!

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Must Eats in Paris ?

Our favorite spots in the Marais are:

- Le Coude Fou (lit. "Crazy Elbow"), 12, rue du Bourg-Thibourg

- La Chaise au Plafond, rue Vieille-du-Temple near the corner of Ste-Croix-de-la-Bretonnerie

- Le Tresor, across the street from the above

- A 2 pas de 3 ("2 steps from 3"), next door to "Le 3" mentioned in this thread