We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bread and Baking

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Winnipeg
8 posts
Save Topic
Bread and Baking

My wife is allergic to modern wheat, but can eat baking made with ancient grains, spelt and kamut. We are going to Paris in May and would like to find a bakery that uses these grains. Spelt is becoming much more common and is also referred to as farro in Italy and I believe epeautre in France. Any leads?

Canada
Level Contributor
484 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bread and Baking

I can not give a first hand recomendation but if you don't get another reply that answers your question then try dropping by:

Bernard Ganachaud 150 r. Menilmontant in the 20th

Jean - Luc Poujauran 20 r. Jean - Nicot in the 7th

Max Poilane r. Brancion in the 15th

or Max's late brother's (Lionel Poilane )boulangerie 8 r. du Cherche - Midi in the 6th.

All of these boulangeries have a reputation for pain d'autrefois (ancient or old fashioned) and if they don't have it they will know who does.

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bread and Baking

well don't worry : go to www.paul.fr one of the most known backery(ies) in Paris and other places. They are just round every corner ....

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,137 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bread and Baking

At Paul's you can watch the bakers at work through a large window on the street.

Kayser also has excellent breads in the old manner.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,649 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bread and Baking

Poilane is supposed to be a bread using traditional ways. You will see Pain Poilane of many menus re. croque monsieurs etc.

However, if serious allergies, I would stay away from bread unless you buy it at stores like "la vie claire" that describes content of their products. Markets also sell breads and if you can communicate with vendor you may be able to find right kind. Some crepe stands also use dark grain esp. for salty crepes.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,649 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bread and Baking

PS Looking at Paul website "pain integral" seems to be what to order - all whole grains.

6. Re: Bread and Baking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 16:16