We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help with planning paris

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
help with planning paris

My husband and I are traveling to Paris in February for 5 days. I have the flight booked, but that is all. Can anyone help me plan my trip? Is 5 days too long to spend in one city? I'm not sure if we should stay in Paris the whole time, or see some area cities as well. Has anyone been to Disneyland? Is it worth it? Should I get the Paris Pass for the museums and sights? Do you have any suggestions for hotels at moderate prices close to attractions?

Thanks for any help.

Groves,Texas
Level Contributor
389 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: help with planning paris

We have been to Paris twice in 2006. 5 days is barely enough time to scratch the surface. We stayed at the Hotel du Champ de Mars (very moderately priced) in the 7th for our first visit and rented an apartment in the 16th for our 2nd visit. The 7th is really only home to a few attractions (Eiffel Tower, Invalides). So you may want to stay elsewhere. We stayed a week both times we were there and so we bought musuem passes especially for the ability to bypass the lines. I am not sure how crowded February will be. We were so glad we had them last November with the kids when we saw the line for the l'Orangerie and it was raining. We got right in, no wait. We did not go to Disneyland when we were there as we can get that at home (although I am sure Disneyland there is nce too). We wanted to see Paris. Our kids (16,19,20) loved Versailles. That was our one day trip. I think that I would spend my time in Paris and not worry about visiting other cities unless there is something specific you want to see. You will find that Paris will take up all of your time.

Knoxville, TN
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: help with planning paris

Is 5 days too long? Well, I spent 5 months there and still cried when I had to leave. That's a great amount of thime for you to at least see the "Major" sights. You would still have time to venture out to Versailles or through Chantilley.

The Museum Pass is a great idea because it will pay for itself in no time. You also get to skip the lines at the museums and save a half day.

I personally don't think Disneyland Paris was worth it, but I also go to the one in Orlando annually, so I'm a little biased on that one.

As far as hotels, It really depends on your budget. I would rather pay a little more to be central and not have to make too many Metro transfers. I really like Timotel Le Louvre, but there are many more options. Part of the beauty of Paris is that you don't need a "Plan."

Once you have your hotel booked, you are there.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
400 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help with planning paris

Leave your schedule open enough to walk, walk, walk throughout the city. It will be a little chilly in February, but I hope that won't deter you. Hanging over our breakfast room table is a photo I took many years ago in January of the tip of the Ile de la Cite covered in snow, with ice floes floating down the Seine, and it was a wonderful trip! I love walking around the Ile St. Louis, the Rue Buci-St. Michel-St. Germain des Pres area in the 6th arrondissment. Look for concerts at churches in the evenings. I saw a wonderful little choral concert in the Eglise St. Germain des Pres last time I was in Paris.

I definitely wouldn't bother with Disneyland. Try some of the wonderful smaller museums: Musee du Moyen Age (Musee Cluny, where the unicorn tapestries are housed), Rodin Museum, Musee Carnavalet. Take a ride in a vedette on the Seine.

Five days is definitely not too long for Paris, but you might take a half-day trip to see the chateau at Versailles or Fontainebleau.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,857 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help with planning paris

My shortest stay was 9 days, and it was TOO short, and I had been before!

Five days is a whirlwind.

nashville
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help with planning paris

remember 5 nights is 4 days -- you need six nights to get 5 days -- 5 nights is IMHO a bare minimum for Paris

Westbrook, Maine
Level Contributor
579 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help with planning paris

I worried about having too much time in Paris, too...we had 7 nights. I took one day-trip to Chartres. I have to chime in with others and say that you will easily fill your time there, and still wish you had more. If you want a change of pace, do a daytrip. I love Disney, too, but opted not to spend a day in Disneyland Paris - just too many other things to do!

I thought the Museum Pass was well worth it. Just try to plan your days to make full use of it. as best you can without driving yourself crazy. It's so great just to flash the pass and speed up entry in the museums.

We rented an apartment, so I can't recommend a particular hotel, but I agree that a central location wil be worth a bit extra. It is so great not to waste time getting in from the outskirts. I think there is a strike going on right now...not sure if it will last, but it's still a good idea to walk as much as you can. The metro is great, though, for saving time. I opted to walk a couple times when I would have gotten there sooo much faster on the metro.

Have fun!

Oregon
Level Contributor
5,095 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: help with planning paris

One of the biggest mistakes many travelers make is to go to too many places in too short a period of time. There is easily enough to see in Paris that you could spend months there and not see it all--I mean just the really interesting things. I just returned from a month in Paris and it was my fourth trip. I can't wait for my 5th trip to see some of the things I still haven't seen. Forget about going anywhere else. Just enjoy your time in Paris. Don't waste any time on the road traveling or it will mean you are missing something wonderful in Paris. Don't get me wrong. I have been to the west of France, central France and southern France and they are wonderful. If you want to see them, then plan another trip which is either longer or specifically designed to see those other locations. Since you can't do it all, I say see Paris! Five days is a drop in the bucket. However, it is enough to wet your appetite and get you planning your next trip there.

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: help with planning paris

To all of you:

Thank you so much for your help! We have decided to forget about Disneyland and will be getting the museum pass. We have also decided to stay near Rue de Cler, so I think that should be fun. Hopefully the transportation strike will end by then. :-)

Thanks again!

9. Re: help with planning paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 21:20