We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fonquest: Help

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
14 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Fonquest: Help

I have been involved, like many other posters here, in a dispute with the french phone rental company Fonquest.

I authourised €800 to be deduced from my account, and when my invoice arrived it amounted to €596. I disputed this, and requested an itimised bill. In fact, I have requested an itimised bill in total 14 times - from both Richard Sullivan and Diane Risse, but have not recieved one to date.

Among the incidents that I encountered, was to be sent a cheque for €800 - a gesture of goodwill from Fonquest. Two months later, the cheque bounced, and (to add nsult to injury)I was charged an additional €40 from my bank for their bounced cheque.

These events happened - the facts are undisputable - I have documentary evidence of everything. This post follows Trip Advisor's guidelines. Now, TRip Advisor's most valued function is, I feel, its ability to provide a platform for travellors to advise fellow travellors of negative experiences. I hope TA will not renage on it's promise, feel the pressure from fonquest and ask me to remove this posting.

We will see...

New York, NY
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Fonquest: Help

My experience with them was very good and I never had to complain, used their services on two occasions last summer and was more than satisfied. They were very customer friendly and most helpful with my husband when he needed help with his BBerry.

We visited Austria and Germany, and although we expected a high bill, ours came to $120 from what I remember.

I did not ask for a $800 goodwill gesture though! Like kelurian and others on this forum I will without hesitation rent again unless I find a better proposition from fellow travellers….:-)))

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,133 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fonquest: Help

The above post by smionaK is a duplicate of a post in the other current Fonequest thread. And as I said there, curiosity compels me to ask "who is kelurian" (even a search did not turn that up) and, if that's one of the now delete one-post wonders from the other thread, how did simonaK know that?

P.S. to Fonequest: give it up!

3. Re: Fonquest: Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 November 2007, 18:17
4. Re: Fonquest: Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 November 2013, 16:48
Portland
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Fonquest: Help

Hi John,

I wanted to share my GOOD EXPERIENCE with FONQUEST on TRIPADVISOR and was very surprised to read your review.

I also paid the EUR$800 deposit and only ran a $70 bill! I also received the balance due to me in the meantime, some EUR$700; I do not understand what happened to you but must inform you that my partner had recommended that I use FONQUEST in PARIS as he uses them with his firm almost every month now, as he keeps going to EUROPE all the time.

I did not even know we could rent phones before my partner told me, I liked the idea (last year the phone bill at my hotel reached EUR$200!).

They are indeed very friendly and their phones worked perfectly. I had a very recent NOKIA, very small, even smaller that the Motorola I use here.

My brother is going in December for XMAS and I did advise him to also rent from FONQUEST.

I have also seen their brochures at the MERIDIEN ETOILE, no question this is a reputable firm.

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
14 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fonquest: Help

Hi John,

I was sent a cheque for €800 from Fonquest that bounced. That is a fact. If anyone wants verification of this fact, I would encourage them to contact me personally. And - this practice of sending cheques that bounce is not, in my experience, the practice of a reputable company.

Despite over 20 emails to fonquest, I have not recieved a call list, as I absolutely refute the invoice I was sent.

Now if you and your partner had a good experience with them, I'm happy for you.

But I have found my dealings with Fonquest, to be EASILY the most frustrating transactions of my life as a consumer.

In any event, as I mentioned in a post elsewhere - should you consider renting a sim from a company in a foreign country, remember that your statuary rights are very limitred. In fact, they are non-existant. No one will interceed on your behalf. And at the end of your SIM rental period to Fonquest (or any other SIM hire company), when you post back your SIM, it is a clear sign that you have left French soil.

If you're happy with Fonquest, that's great. In my experience, I wouldn't wish their service on my worst enemy.

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
14 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fonquest: Help

For those burnt by Fonquest, I have an invitation for you...

I am preparing a file for a chap in MIPTV - based in Cannes,with whom Fonquest is a sponsorship partner of some sort. MIPTV are kinda like the Film festival for TV.

I plan to chronical my horrendous experience with Fonquest. If anyone wants to relay their experiences, with verifyable evidence that they contracted Fonquest's services (ie fax of contract), please let me know. I will collate all experiences and send it to them.

MIPTV are reputable, and should be advised of the moral character of their 'communication partners'. If they can be persuaded that there is a pattern of negative customers' experiences which includes a withholding of deposits, sending bounced cheques (in my case), and disputed invoices with no proof of requested call lists (my case) - then they might reconsider advocating their services, and save people the anguish that many of us who post on this site have suffered.

If you are one of the many people burnt by Fonquest over the last year, and want to help isolate Fonquest from their existing partners, let me know and I will do something about it.

Portland
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Fonquest: Help

john54321-You are posting DUPLICATE MESSAGES! I found the EXACT SAME MESSAGES on another board...

Boston
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Fonquest: Help

I fully agree with adrian, I am also a client and never had to complain.

I tried to call Fonquest to book a phone for Christmas and had no response; I therefore looked on the web for another phone number and found this forum, I felt like I had to also share my experience.

I've always been happy and have also (always) been charged reasonably.

Sorry to hear about your problems John, I can only strongly recommend that you try to escalate this to a higher level at Fonquest.

I was in contact with a sales representative, not sure she would be able to help, but you should ask your contacts who is accountable for your disappointing episode…I am sure this can be taken care of.

Montreal, QC
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Fonquest: Help

I recommend not renting phones. This is a tip for those who don't mind a little extra work to save a little money. When we went to Paris and Amsterdam a few weeks ago, we set our US GSM cell phones so that all calls would go to voicemail. If callers left a message, we'd get a notification on our cell phones at no cost. Then we'd call our voicemail number using a pay phone and telephone calling card, retrieve the message, and, if necessary, call back from the pay phone. This technique allowed us to stay in touch while avoiding the higher fees for using our cell phones. If you do not forward cell calls this way, the call gets bounced to you overseas and you may pay international roaming rates even if you don't pick up when the call comes in.