We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spending extra days in Paris instead of London?

Hawaii
5 posts
Save Topic
Spending extra days in Paris instead of London?

Hi Everyone,

First time on TA. I posted the same question in the London forum. My friend and I are planning our very first trip to Europe. The problem is whether to include London in our itinerary. A couple of people we talked to had mentioned to skip it. My friend would also rather spend the extra days in Paris or Rome instead of London. Coming all the way from Hawaii, this maybe my only chance to go to Europe. Do you think it's worth it to skip London and just spend the extra days exploring Paris?

Also, what is the weather usually like in May?

Thanks...Kayla

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
481 reviews
from US$72.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,158 reviews
from US$108.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
572 reviews
from US$51.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
460 reviews
from US$331.40*
paris, france
Level Contributor
2,114 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
51. Re: Spending extra days in Paris instead of London?

well i remember 5 years ago when i was in london, i had an omelette a lettuce salad and a coke in a creepy place that cost me...16 pounds!! the same food in any cafe in paris would cost you max 10-12 euros. london is very expensive, food shopping and apartments rent i could never afford what i do inside paris in london (and i live in an expensive district).

paris, france
Level Contributor
2,114 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
52. Re: Spending extra days in Paris instead of London?

i meant what i rent in paris. and yes i was speaking of the general cost of living, but even for tourists, an omelette and a coke for 16 pounds, my gosh! it was the same everywhere even a mcdonalds was more expensive, and again this was 5 years ago.

London, UK
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Reply
53. Re: Spending extra days in Paris instead of London?

LOL... and you accused me of giving fake info??

An omelette and a coke for £16... you have got to be kidding me!! Now THAT is misleading information!

London accommodation is eye-wateringly expensive (especially inside zone 1- forget it if you are not a millionaire)- but goods and services are fairly comparable to Paris, generally speaking.

paris, france
Level Contributor
2,114 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
54. Re: Spending extra days in Paris instead of London?

im not lying, thats what i had in a spanish kind of restaurant next to the french district...i thought i was going to get an attack...

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,567 posts
1 review
Save Reply
55. Re: Spending extra days in Paris instead of London?

Alex

Nice to know your trip to London 5 years ago makes you an expert:-)

Your idea of £16 for omlette and coke sums up some ideas on this thread.

I said it before on the other related thread, it's not worth arguing with people that rely on surveys and gossip. Naming a one off, rip- off place in either city assists nobody.

If in doubt. stay in Paris.

Stoofer

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,567 posts
1 review
Save Reply
56. Re: Spending extra days in Paris instead of London?

Sounds like you wnet to A Spanish restaurant for Tortilla and got charged for side salads and all the service stuff.

So that's London is it????? Best all tourists stay away in that case:-)

Omlette and coke £5 tops in a cafe.

Stoofer

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
57. Re: Spending extra days in Paris instead of London?

There was a time when budget accommodation was harder to come my in central London, but that's no longer the case. Apart from the deals that can be had for some hotels, there are many B&Bs (equivalent to a Parisian two-star) where prices are roughly the same. Travelodge also now has a large number of hotels in Central London, with prices ranging from £26 up to £80, dependiong on when you go or when you book. Next month I'm actually staying at the Royal Scot near Kings Cross for £19 a night, but I admit that was a special offer.

London, UK
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Reply
58. Re: Spending extra days in Paris instead of London?

"French district" in London???? No such thing!

paris, france
Level Contributor
2,114 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
59. Re: Spending extra days in Paris instead of London?

who said i was an expert? are u able to understand what i wrote or you just like to extrapolate? anyway all of my friends who have been recently thought the same, so maybe we are all idiots, and yep id better stay home lol!! (could buy a lot more stuffs and eat a lot more -and better)

paris, france
Level Contributor
2,114 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
60. Re: Spending extra days in Paris instead of London?

MRD yep when i was there there was a distrcit where many french would live and my friends who lives there called it the french district. maybe that not how u londoners call it but there is a district with lots of french, not sure about it maybe kensington? or something that sounds similar