We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobile phones

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Townsville...
Level Contributor
144 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Mobile phones

Hi all

just wondering what the latest is with cheapest way to use your mobile phone.Is buying a SIM card the way to go over in France, or what about those phone cards, where you ring a number to acces account, then the number you want. Works out cheap In Aus when ringing overseas, but not sure when over there.

many thanks

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mobile phones

I just returned from 18 days in London and Paris. I had a lot of problems with my cell - can elaborate if you want to hear but because of this I did not look into getting a SIM card in Paris.

In Paris, I bought a calling card at the post office that was wonderful - it was 15 euros and I still have about 7 left on it. Was able to talk to the US for a long time from my hotel room - I think the rate was something like 3 cents a minute. We actually could not use the thing up and I have a chatty 10 year old with me!

We had a phone in our hotel room that was free to use - the problem I ran into in London with using a calling card was that we had no landline in our flat, and using a payphone drained the card quickly (this was another phone card I bought in London) - and using the cell drained the prepay on it. So if you go for a calling card, read the fine print about what kind of phone you can use it from and figure out how you are charged by your provider (local or international rates).

Townsville...
Level Contributor
144 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mobile phones

Thanks aibco, yes, I thought this sounded a better option, so will go for the phone card .... after reading the fine print : )

3. Re: Mobile phones

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 17:18