We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Location Advice Paris

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
110 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Location Advice Paris

Hi, I am planning a visit to Paris in the Spring/Early Summer.

I am after some advice to identify an area or areas that will allow me to look for a hotel.

The area needs to be easy accessible from CDG Airport by Rail/Metro/Bus without many changes or too far to walk.

Close to the main attractions either by walking or by easy accesible transport (not too far out)and be in an area that has a local feel about it, local bars/cafes, not tourist traps.

Ive already looked at some of the FAQ's, but need some expert or recent experience advice.

Many thanks in anticipation of replies.

SB12

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Paris
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
White Umbrella Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Retro Tour Paris
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
City Wonders
City Tours, Night Tours, Cultural Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours
Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,145 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Location Advice Paris

Hi

Attractions in Paris are spread out over a large area so in my opinion it does not matter that much where you stay as long as you stay close to a metro station. The last time I went to Paris I stayed at Hilton near the Eiffel tower. Send me an e-mail on gardkarlsen@hotmail.com and I'll send you my Paris trip report from April last year. I hope that you can find some useful information there :-)

Regards

Gard

Marietta, Ga
Level Contributor
117 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Location Advice Paris

If you are concerned about accesibility from CDG you can always take a shuttle/limo for direct access.

A great area to stay is Rue Cler, close to many things you seem to want.

Stayed at Hotel Muguet last July and were very Pleased with the Total experience, surrounding area etc.

Florida
Level Contributor
17,262 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Location Advice Paris

Most people enjoy their stay if locating nearest the Seine as possible, or in arrondissements 1-7. The 9th is also convenient if near the Opera Garnier area.

There are actually very few 'tourist trap' areas - I'd say the Place du Tertre in Montmartre might be one, but there aren't any hotels right there anyway. Also, the 'rabbit warren' of streets just off Place St Michel in the Latin Qtr would qualify (rue de la Huchette area).

If you want to locate off the RER from CDG, you can use www.cybevasion.com for Paris and click on the RER-B station names for lists of nearby hotels. You can use "find a business" on the Google map function also, using "hotels" and the nearest small street name, Paris France as the address...

The same applies if you want to use the Roissybus which only drops off at rue Scribe, or the Air France buses which drop off at 4 locations from CDG (Porte Maillot, Etoile, Gare de Lyon and Gare Montparnasse).

Joliet, IL
Level Contributor
190 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Location Advice Paris

Two of my trips to Paris, I have stayed at the Grand Hotel LeVeque on Rue Cler. The hotel rooms are tiny, but spotless with air conditioning. A double is runnning around $125.00 USD. Skip the breakfast at the hotel and eat on Rue Cler. There is a coffee machine in the lobby (1E). It is within blocks of the Eiffel Tower and close to a Metro stop. There are lots of little Mom & Pop shops/restaurants on Rue Cler. Rue Cler is a pedestrian street. You can pick up picnic supplies at several shops on Rue Cler and picnic on the Champs Du Mar in the shadow of the Eiffel Tower. There is a fantastic self serve laundromat right around the corner from the hotel. Shuttle or taxi from the airport to the hotel. The Metro/Rail/Bus is just to hard with luggage and jet leg.

Plymouth...
Level Contributor
574 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Location Advice Paris

For convenience of travel, lovely views, and overall quality it's hard to beat Hotel Splendide Etoile. I did a review in 2006 that may be useful.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187147-d229… .

There are several cafes and bars nearby, but this is in big city Paris, as opposed to charming cobblestoned street Paris.

6. Re: Location Advice Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 07:18