We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which location to stay in?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, England
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Which location to stay in?

Not been to Paris before. Flying into CDG. Which is a good area to stay in? Don't mind using Metro, but would like to be fairly central but without expensive taxi ride. Also good 2 star hotel?

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,207 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which location to stay in?

Hi:

I suggest you start your seach by looking in the forum under "best place to stay." You'll find many suggestions. Personally, I recommend the 6th arrondissement. It's close to some of the main tourist attractions and there's lots of dining, shopping and nightlife nearby (depending on what you like to do at night...). Last visit, I stayed at the Hotel Chaplain Rive Gauche and it was a good deal at 80E/night. There are lots of other budget hotels. Do a search in the forum on "two star" and "budget hotels" and you'll find many suggestions to get started.

Good luck.

Sechelt, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which location to stay in?

Why not take the Chunnel train from England into Paris? I loved coming into Paris this way the last time I was there. It brings you into, I believe Gare du Nord, which is central and easy taxi ride to 5,6 or 7 arrondissments. Any of these areas is attractive, nice to walk around with lots of restaurants and charming hotels, street markets where you can buy some fresh fruit and flowers or even charming shawls.

A taxi from CDG is cher, however it is worth it. The French taxis are new model cars, clean and the taxi drivers really know their way around.

Bon Voyage!

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,207 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which location to stay in?

You don't have to take a taxi from CDG. You can take the RER (train) and then walk or transfer to a metro line to get to your hotel (depending on where you decide to stay).

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which location to stay in?

>>>Why not take the Chunnel train from England into Paris?<<<

Maybe because the "Chunnel train" leaves 200 miles from where the poster lives.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which location to stay in?

First, fellow Canadian, do not call it the " chunnel train" . It is called the Eurostar, and only those out of the loop call it the " Chunnel" anything anymore. I made this similar mistake a few years ago, and have since learned how silly it sounds to even use the term chunnel anymore, although it is still commmon at home.

Op, take the RER into Paris, if you book a hotel in the 5th or 6th you can mot likely walk to it from the ST Michel station , but even if you can't it would be a cheap taxi ride to a hotel once you are in the city.

What is your actual budget, stars mean nothing, I have seen them for 50-60 euros to 200+ euros.

Manchester United...
Level Contributor
236 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which location to stay in?

>>>Why not take the Chunnel train from England into Paris?<<<

Maybe because the "Chunnel train" leaves 200 miles from where the poster lives.

You can now book a through train ticket Manchester to Paris on line

By the time you factor in getting to Manchester airport what? two hours before flight time and then getting into Paris from CDG the end to end time of Pendolino to Euston, a ten minuste walk down to St Pancras and onto the Eurostar the end to end times are not so bad.

BTW this only works on weekdays, enginering work at the weekend makes a non starter

We did Manchester to Paris via Waterloo in may and MUCH prefered it to flying into CDG

Marietta, Ga
Level Contributor
117 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which location to stay in?

From CDG you can take the RER, but be careful all those steps with luggage can be a real pain.

For a more direct route you can also take a shuttle. We used Golden Air last July and were very pleased.

Two Very Good two star hotels are Hotel des Grand Ecoles in the Latin Qtr and Hotel Muguet in the 7th, near Rue Cler. I have personally stayed at both and the only major difference is Muguet has a/c in June, July & Aug.

8. Re: Which location to stay in?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 12:20