We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So what did you do NYE?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rumson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
127 reviews
Save Topic
So what did you do NYE?

After countless posts with questions regarding where to eat and what to do on New Years' Eve, could returning travelers post their experiences with food and activities?

My daughter just returned and spent her time just eating crepes and baguettes. They went to the Eiffle Tower for midnight. She had a blast, and had no problems but she said scores of riot police were standing by. Personal fireworks were tossed up in the air and firecrackers were randomly thrown without incident. When police later moved in to clear the crowd, however, many of the young responded by throwing glass bottles at them.

Care to share your stories?

T

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
12 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: So what did you do NYE?

We were there for NYE as well. I expected spectacular fireworks (as we were in Sydney to welcome '07) but sadly, Paris had none like it.

Totally my fault for not researching in advance here in TA how NYE is like in Paris. Only found out when we got back that they only do fireworks on special years.

So a bit dissapointed there but oh well...

And yes, I agree with your daughter. Walking back to our hotel, I felt a bit unsafe with all the rowdy and drunk people there and broken glasses everywhere! I was so glad our hotel was just walking distance. I felt so sorry for those who had to take the Metro as it was packed all the way to the outside.

Rumson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: So what did you do NYE?

Daughter rode Metro with friends; it was crowded but safe. She saw no obvious pickpockets, but suggests leaving backpacks & handbags at hotel as they did. Other friends wanted to walk back to St Michel, safe walk but arrived hours later @ 4. She much prefered the Metro.

Did anyone eat out that night at cafes offering regular menus rather than more expensive NYE special?

T

UK
Level Contributor
3,265 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: So what did you do NYE?

We had a very enjoyable early evening dinner at Le Jardin d'Ivy on rue Mouffetard followed by a relaxed stroll in the local neighbourhood.

We were back at out hotel before midnight and greeted the New Year with some sparkling wine while watching the live entertainment on TF1 - a mix of circus acrobats and magicians.

There were no firework displays in Paris this year.

Bonne Année à tous!

Peterhead, United...
Level Contributor
337 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: So what did you do NYE?

We had a meal at a brasserie at the start of Boulevard De Grenelle, then went back to hotel to put on warmer clothes. We then took a short walk to Champ De Mars and saw New Year in their. The Eiffel tower changed to a Christmas tree and in my opinion was pretty spectacular. The crowds at the Champ De Mars were friendly and unthreatening.

Returned to our hotel and watched everyone go home on the metro, it looked pretty crowded. I did see one threatening moment from our hotel room when a drunk guy tried to grab at a single girl going by but he was so drunk he missed her completely and landed on his backside. Scary but funny at the same time.

All in all Paris was brilliant,view from top of the Eiffel Tower was spectacular, Notre Dame was a humbling experience, Sacre Coeur on the 2nd was really nice, Les Invalides was also nice. Disney Parcs was actually well above my expectations and the evening parade down main street was superb.

Bonne Annee!!!

Peterhead, United...
Level Contributor
337 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: So what did you do NYE?

Does TA have a dyslexic mode? I should have said we saw the New Year in THERE.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
67 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: So what did you do NYE?

We stayed in a hotel a block from the Eiffel Tower by the Seine. Through the hotel we had booked dinner at Le Coupe Chou and caught the metro there without incident. Superb dinner in a gorgeous restaurant - expensive but memorable. Caught the metro back and found when we went to change lines that it was really packed - this was about 11pm. With two children I felt a bit concerned, but we waited until we were at the front of the platform and let a couple of trains go by until enough people got off for us to get on. The crowd was happy and rowdy, not threatening or scary at all. Crossing the Seine from the station, we stayed on the bridge with a view of the Eiffel Tower rather than going to the tower itself as we had planned. Lots of happy people letting off their own fireworks. the Eiffel tower lit up like it usually does on the hour and while the lack of spectacular fireworks was disappointing (it is done very well here in Melbourne and in Sydney!!) it was very special to be in Paris and have that view for the new year! We crossed over to our hotel, passing lots of police along the way. We heard a bit of noise during the night and I was a bit shocked to see a lot of broken glass on the ground when we left the next morning for London, but personally we didn't experience anything untoward and it was a very pleasant, memorable new years eve for us.

La Mirada...
Level Contributor
72 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: So what did you do NYE?

We had made reservations late November for NYE and through this board found a wonderful quaint restaurant Le Tastevin. Dinner was outstanding and all the tables taken (about 12) so the crowd was an intimate affair. Annick was outgoing and the staff treated everyone like a friend. Thought it was a great deal for NYE at 112 Euro per person.

For a first timer to spend NYE in Paris it was especially gratifying.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
963 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: So what did you do NYE?

Spent the NYE at La Tour d'Argent. Were surprised that most of the crowd were french or french-speaking excluding the english bulldog pup, although his owners did address him in french as well :-D

http://www.pbase.com/image/91063210/original - this was the view from our table by the window.

A pleasant NYE, but no music and no festive atmosphere with exception of the first floor decorated with snowed-in pine trees to create a winter forest feel, I'm guessing.

This is our third consecutive NYE in Paris with last year at Crillon being the most fun (DJ, dancing, masks, etc) and with a celebration in Jules Verne before that, which was ruined by 2 couples smoking up the whole place. Too bad the ban wasn't in effect then.

virginia
Level Contributor
31 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: So what did you do NYE?

We (16 year old daughter and Mom) went to The Nutcracker at Opera Bastille. I had really obsessed about the dinner thing, and we decided not to try and do a late seating, multi-course blowout because we had such an early departure the next morning. I'm sure for really nice places one has to reserve weeks in advance, but all week I saw lots of signs on restaurants of various kinds advertising NYE menus, often at around 65 euros, plus plenty of places were just serving normally. So we could have made last minute plans easily, and I'm sure people staying in hotels can get help from the concierge.

We ended up having a lovely little post-ballet supper in our apartment - foie gras, exquisite various cheeses, asparagus in vinaigrette, little brioche thingies vith various fillings, pastries from Laduree and champagne. In bed about 11:30.

The funniest thing was heading out to the airport at 6:30am, and seeing plenty of people still on the streets, just starting for home (I guess)!

Rumson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: So what did you do NYE?

Paris makes for such wonderful memories! Thanks for sharing. We go back in February and I can't wait.

Anyone else care to share yours or offer suggestions for next year's revelers?

T