We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Day In Paris

Mooresville, NC
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Topic
One Day In Paris

alright, I may catch some criticism for this but my wife and I are doing 7 days in Europe, but only going to Paris for one day (not overnight). We will be arriving from Brugge, via train. In the course of about 7-10hrs, what are the must-do's, within the time allotted?

Thank you for your opinions and assistance!!!!

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
550 Reviews
from US$72.00*
Skip the Line: Eiffel Tower Tour and...
659 Reviews
from US$73.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,218 Reviews
from US$120.40*
Eiffel Tower and Louvre Museum...
824 Reviews
from US$122.80*
nebraska
Level Contributor
313 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: One Day In Paris

Will you be toting your luggage?

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: One Day In Paris

of course, it's a shame (but keep smiling, your's choice) ...so for a day visit, i suggest you to use the drop on/off www.carsrouges.com

and good luck for your ...japanese (or chinese) trip ....

Mooresville, NC
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: One Day In Paris

no we will not have any luggag, or at least no more than a backpack.

Mooresville, NC
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: One Day In Paris

bump

kohala coast, hawaii
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One Day In Paris

what time of year will you be in Paris? are you & your wife art lovers? food lovers? monument lovers? church lovers? garden lovers? walkers? please fill us in on what you both really enjoy doing.

if it's a summer day, you could have a very nice time walking on Ile St Louis and having a long lovely lunch at a sidewalk cafe with a view of Notre Dame. I would try to do only 1 -2 things that day, so you can really experience whatever you choose to do more fully, without running from one place to another.

Mooresville, NC
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: One Day In Paris

my apologies, we will be there 3rd week of March of this year. we love all of the above, but obviously with only 8 hours-10 hours what is the best way to get a feel for the city in that time...I know I know not exactly possible, but thanks for your help!

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
401 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One Day In Paris

The previous poster who suggested strolling the Ile St. Louis has the right idea. If you really want to get a feel for Paris in a short time, don't try to "do" museums and major sites like the Eiffel Tower; just walk! I would definitely go into Notre Dame and the Sainte Chapelle nearby, both stunningly beautiful and impressive medieval marvels, and visiting them won't consume huge amounts of your precious time. From there you are very close to the Marais on the right back and the Latin Quarter/Quartier St. Germain on the left. Both are great for walking and absorbing. You can pick up a crepe from a streetside vendor in the Place St. Michel/Place St. Andre des Arts on the Left Bank and a Berthillon sorbet on the Ile St. Louis, if you don't want to spend a lot of time in restaurants. There are also great bakeries in the Rue de Buci in St. Germain des Pres (and elsewhere of course!). You could wander over to the Louvre and the Jardin des Tuileries on the right bank and/or the Jardin du Luxembourg on the left to enjoy some green space, and maybe squeeze in a ride on Seine on the Vedettes du Pont Neuf so you can get a better idea of the city's layout.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
657 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One Day In Paris

I agree with the last poster. Get a map of Paris and find where the Notre Dame is. Walk from there and through the left bank, winding through the cobblestone streets to Rue de Marzipane (something liek that - its been a whiel for me). Enjoy the streets and the cafes, the little shop, and shopkeeprs, feel the air and breathe in Paris. Ask if there are any markets nearby open on the day you are there if you like markets. If you do want to see the Eiffel Tower and some major sites, then I personally would see the eiffel tower and go up it. Go the louvre, but choose in advance what you want to see - for example the big sculptures and statues, or monet or the african section - because you will only get time for a qucik visit, and if time permits, I wold go to the Jardine Gardens (apologies for incorrect name - as I said, its been a while).

Whatever you choose, enjoy it. Say hi to Paris for me. I hope to be back.

Mooresville, NC
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: One Day In Paris

Those are great ideas. Just walking around is great for us. While I would like to see the Eiffel Tower, we would not have to go up it.

So walking down Ile St. louis would allow us to go by Notre Dame and Sainte Chapel? This sounds like it may work for us and we can sample the food and drink while on the move. Latin Quarter seems very interesting.

Thanks!

Oregon
Level Contributor
5,195 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One Day In Paris

Yes, if you go to Ile St. Louis to walk around, you will be right near Notre Dame and St. Chappel. St. Chappel usually has a line because they do security checks. It is worth seeing the stained glass window.

I'm glad you don't feel compelled to climb La Tour Eiffel--it isn't worth it when time is of the essence. Hopefull you will get to be there long enough to see the lights twinkle for 10 minutes on the hour when it turns dark--or perhaps you will be gone by then.

I guess no one has felt it would be useful to question the format of your trip. But I will say that I think, unless you are being required to jump from place to place in Europe, that I think you are doing yourself a big disservice. I think it must be heartbreaking to be in Paris for part of one day. I don't know where else you are going, except Brugge, but can you redesign your trip so you have time to slow down and savor the places you go?