We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

paris to chinque terre

Orlando
Level Contributor
31 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
paris to chinque terre

Has anyone driven a car from Paris to Chinque Terre? If so, how long did it take you to get there? Thanks.

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: paris to chinque terre

Go to www.michelin.com for their mapping service which will also provide the driving time. The Cinque Terra are located on the Italian Coast, and all are not accessible by car. Chose just one of the villages as your destination.

Orlando
Level Contributor
31 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: paris to chinque terre

I have looked at what some sources say are the times, but my friend told me that when they were there, the driving times going around France were really less than what all the sources said. I would like to go to Chinque Terre since I have heard such great things of it but not if it means we are spending too much time traveling instead of experiencing. So I was hoping someone had actually done the drive to tell me what their experience was. Thanks.

tim'otea
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: paris to chinque terre

Actually the name is Cinque Terre ;-) If you plan to go directly there, it will take about 1 day and 1/2 would I say (without driving by night). I would suggest you to take more time 2-3 day, and visit some cities during the trip...

Paris, France
Level Contributor
333 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: paris to chinque terre

Hi,

I have done it from Rapallo (a little further up the coast) to Paris. We came back via Nice, spent a couple of days there and then had another stop further up. It is really quite a long drive, and as the previous post says one or two stops on the way is a good idea.

Viamichelin gives a route via Geneva and Turin following the motorways and give a time of nearly 10 hours, we have also driven on various trips on these roads as well. I have usually found that viamichelin is very accurate re driving times - sometimes (as your friends found) you can do it more quickly but I wouldn't be sure of it. The route has lots of places where you can get held up - e.g., going through the Mont Blanc tunnel, also the route from Genoa down the coast - which is lovely and scenic but in and out of galleried tunnels for miles and really can't be done much quicker than the sources say - and if you hit traffic will be longer. It is also very tiring - lots of concentration required (also on the motorways going through the alps - which although very good you really need to concentrate and again there is a limit on the speed you can do, especially if you hit any bad weather).

So, I would say the 10 hours that viamichelin says is accurate, and it may well take you more than that. If you do decide to drive I would take at least one, preferably 2 overnight stops - for me it is too far and the roads need too much concentration to do it in one. But don't let this put you off - I would do it again with no hesitation - you drive through some wonderful scenery and if you can take your time it is a great trip.

Hope this is helpful

Alison

Orlando
Level Contributor
31 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: paris to chinque terre

Thanks for the replys. Yes, if we did it, we would make some stops along the way. I appreciate the time you all took to answer me.

6. Re: paris to chinque terre

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 04:19