We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Steak prep to med-well or well-done

New York
Level Contributor
476 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Steak prep to med-well or well-done

Will I get really strange looks if I request this? LOL, how naive am I being?!?!?

Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
481 reviews
from US$72.10*
Best Seller
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,157 reviews
from US$108.20*
Best Seller
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
571 reviews
from US$51.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
460 reviews
from US$331.40*
New York
Level Contributor
476 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Steak prep to med-well or well-done

I realized after I sent this that I should add that I'm asking this because I've been talking with friends and told that meat mainly is prepared rare and I don't care for it that rare - I'm more a med-well person.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Steak prep to med-well or well-done

Unless you order filet mignon (often called tournedos), cuts of beef tend to be chewy and/or tough. To cook them past medium/medium rare makes them worse, unless they are braised.

If you have something in mind similar to a NY Strip or Delmonico, you probably won't find it in Paris. Even the steak served with "Steak Frites" tends to be very chewy.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,713 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Steak prep to med-well or well-done

You may ask for well done (bien cuit) and I doubt you will receive strange looks. I also doubt that you'll receive a steak cooked as much as you are expecting.

If indeed your steak is insufficiently cooked, I recommend you take a drink or two of wine then eat it as is. Sending things back to the kitchen is ill advised in a French restaurant.

If you need steak cooked this much to be able to enjoy it, I strongly suggest you order chicken.

Final point: do not ask for a doggy bag. You are guaranteed to receive "really strange looks" with such requests.

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Steak prep to med-well or well-done

Medium is called : "à point" (ah pwah)

Well done is "bien cuit" (bee-en qwee)

There doesn't seem to be anything like "medium well" in the translation lexicon. If you ask for anything between rare and medium-rare, you're likely to encounter a blank stare.

Bradford, Yorkshire
Level Contributor
575 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Steak prep to med-well or well-done

You may get strange looks, as I have done occasionally. Are you bothered? After all you have to eat it, and you are paying!

If you make eye contact with the waiter/ess, give a smile, and most importantly order in french you shouldn't have a problem.

Steaks well done (bien cuit) in France generally equate to English med-well. Enjoy your meal.

UK
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Steak prep to med-well or well-done

Just an observation but 'well done' in England tends to be a lot more cooked than 'bien cuit' in France. The French say the English kill their meat twice: once in the slaughterhouse, then again in the kitchen!

They love us really, though!

New York
Level Contributor
476 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Steak prep to med-well or well-done

Sorry it took me so long to check back, but THANK YOU for your responses!!

The official countdown begins....one month to go....