We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The classic Carte Orange is outa here

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
The classic Carte Orange is outa here

Announcement posters went up this week in all buses and Metro stations announcing "Le coupon de la Carte Orange disparaît bientôt !". (Imagine a picture of the carte orange ticket with a big red X across it in the middle of the poster). The posters are announcing the last days of the CO "coupon" ticket and the shift to the Carte Orange Découverte electronic transit pass. KDK has already covered this in previous posts but basically, from now on, you'll need to pay a one-time fee of 5€ and provide an identity picture to get a Carte Orange Découverte card, and then you "charge it up" on kiosks or at any ticket window in the Metro system. Initially, it's a bit more trouble to buy the card but recharging is easy and usually doesn't involve standing in lines. All the same rules as the coupon version still apply (week begins on Monday morning, ends on Sunday night, etc).

The new system is fully operational now so you should expect it to be in force from here on out.

Norway
2 posts
Save Reply
51. Re: The classic Carte Orange is outa here

Thanks travelnutty!

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
33 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
52. Re: The classic Carte Orange is outa here

Travelnutty:

This is Taylorstrip

Thanks for your advice! I will take it...I do have one more question? The Zone 1 and 2 ticket - will it take me to the 11th ardonisment? I was thinking of dinner at Le Temps au Temps one evening.

Florida
Level Contributor
17,361 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
53. Re: The classic Carte Orange is outa here

Zone 1-2 covers all of Paris. It is the same coverage that the regular metro ticket gives you.

If you want to see the Zones, here is a map:

ratp.info/picts/plans/gif/reseaux/zones.gif

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Florida
Level Contributor
17,361 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
54. Re: The classic Carte Orange is outa here

JETS23 - if you have the orange id card, you only need to buy the ticket or 'coupon' that represents the C.O. pass. You might be able to just buy from a machine, but I'm not sure if the machines take American credit cards (that don't have the 'smart' chip; if you are American?)...

If you end up having to buy the Navigo Decouverte, you could possibly pry up or cut out your photo from the id card (for the new id card), but you could also just carry new pix with you. You can take your own photo with a digital camera and print on plain paper, or you can cut out from a photo print you might happen to have. You don't have to do anything special to get a satisfactory photo.

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
33 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
55. Re: The classic Carte Orange is outa here

travelnutty- thanks for all your valuable input - you are so generous to share your knowledge with us travelly challenged people. If you have any recommendations of must does..I'm open to suggestions. Also- I would like to take my daughter to Normandy and the WW2 sites - you do have info on that? thanks again, Taylorstrip

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Level Contributor
17,361 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
56. Re: The classic Carte Orange is outa here

I don't really 'believe' in telling people what they 'must do'. How do I know what you'll like? You can get a list of typical first-time sights from any guide book or online site.

We went to Normandy / beaches with a France tour in 1998, so I don't have 'how to' info on that. You should start a new topic if you haven't already done so. The American Cemetery was very very moving.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
American Cemetery
American Cemetery
301 Reviews
Verdun, France
Northern Virginia...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
57. Re: The classic Carte Orange is outa here

I just got back from Paris on Sunday and tried to use my non-European, non-smart chip credit card to buy the Carte Orange in two Metro stations. The machine rejected the cards (I tried a few just to make sure the machine wasn't not reading the strip). We ended up going to another station and having to pay at a ticket window. Just an FYI to save some time standing in line at the machines.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
USA
Level Contributor
29,045 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
58. Re: The classic Carte Orange is outa here

>>>I just got back from Paris on Sunday and tried to use my non-European, non-smart chip credit card to buy the Carte Orange in two Metro stations. The machine rejected the cards (I tried a few just to make sure the machine wasn't not reading the strip). We ended up going to another station and having to pay at a ticket window. Just an FYI to save some time standing in line at the machines.<<<

This is a bit of information that has been frequently reported and advised about here...and on many other travel forums and sites.

The automatic vending machines at Metro, RER and SNCF train stations will NOT accept US-issued, 'magnetic-strip-read' credit cards. They will only accept European-issued, 'smart chip' embedded credit cards.

You may use your US-issued credit cards at any manned ticket window or booth, which are equipped with dual-technology, card-readers that handle US-issued cards with no problem.

As a general rule, few automatic vending machines will accept US-issued credit cards...so it's usually a good idea not to even insert your card into one of these automatich vending machines...against the annoying and potentially aggravating possibility that your card may be damaged...usually at the LEAST convenient time.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
3,417 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
59. Re: The classic Carte Orange is outa here

Bump for poster julespreston.

I am waiting for this whole thread to finish so i can decide which travel pass to get.

One question, how do you ask for the zone one to six or whatever in French?

Thanks

Denise

Love from wild, windy and wet England. First day of spring? HUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mentioned in this post
England
England
United Kingdom
USA
Level Contributor
29,045 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
60. Re: The classic Carte Orange is outa here

>>>One question, how do you ask for the zone one to six or whatever in French?<<<

What little French I have is of the barely intelligible, '..horrible tourist..' variety but simply using the individual '..numbers..' (une à cinq) usually suffuces. In the past, friends and acquaintances with no French beyond 'Merci...bon jour...sil vous plait...' have gotten by quite nicely by simply printing out the appropriate web page from the RATP site, CIRCLED what they wanted on the print out and showed this to the Metro ticket agent...along with their 'head-shot' photos, €uro cash or credit cards...and had their CO package passed back across the counter to them without problem...or much French beyond '..Bon jour, monsieur ..sil vous plait..' and '..Merci, au revoir..'.

"..Je voudrais une Carte Orange pour la semaine pour les zones une à cinq..'

But since you're probably interested in purchasing the Navigo DECOUVERTE 'device'...PLUS...the weekly CARTE ORANGE fare to 'load' onto it for the first time....the '..conversation..' is probably going to involve a few more complications than simply which Zones of validity.