We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight In Paris - Eurostar

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Berkshire, UK
Level Contributor
101 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Overnight In Paris - Eurostar

Hi,

I am thinking of doing 1 night in Paris on the eurostar with a friend.

The deals on the eurostar website are good and include a hotel for the night.

We just want a relaxed couple of days looking at some tourist bits, bit of shopping and maybe a look around the montmatre area and a bit of girlie shopping!. Is this the arty/pavement cafe part ?

Can anyone suggest where to stay or what area to base ourselves, which would be quite convenient to all ofthe above ?

Any tips would be great.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
3,416 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight In Paris - Eurostar

Dear catldyBerkshire

If you want girly shopping and access to montmatre you need to stay in the north of the 1st arrondissement anything with a postcode of 75001.

You would be best to be near the large department stores Galleries Gafayette and Printemps on boulevard Haussmann. These are also situated near the Opera Garnier and the Madeline Church.

Expensive designer stores are near the Ritz on place Vendome and Rue St Honore.(good for window shopping and people watching!) Also in the 1st Arrondisement.

You would need to be near a metro for access to Montmatre which is in the North of the city in the 18th arrondissement (75018) or you could get a taxi. Personaly I don't like Montmatre but that is a matter of taste and you have to visit once to decide.

It would be a good idea to buy a map from Waterstones that you can use on your visit to find out where the hotels that are on offer are situated. Location is all important to your enjoyment.

Have a wonderful time. I hope you fall in love with Paris.

Denise

PS if you look for reviews on the hotels on offer that will help and also ASK on this forum.

Berkshire, UK
Level Contributor
101 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight In Paris - Eurostar

Thanks for the reply!

I have had a bit of a read on the forum, and lots of people are saying that the ST Germain area is quite nice, cafe's, people watching, jazz, bisto's, shops etc. Is this correct? Is that the 5th and 6th arrond. ? How close to the river would that be, and how far would eiffel tower etc be from there?

Are Taxi's expensive?

Just out of interest, what don't you like about Montmatre ?!

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
3,416 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight In Paris - Eurostar

Hi catlady.

Yes I LOVE the 5th and 6th arrondisements and have stayed there. They can both be near the river but extend back quite a long way beyond the Luxemberg gardens, Sorbonne Pantheon and Rue Mouffetard.

There are lots of shops cafes etc in these areas but for shopaholics I think the Grande Magasins (large stores) and the "posh" shops are a must see for a first visit.

As you are only staying overnight it would be useful to have the above shops on your doorstep, but you could always stay in St Germaine/St Michel, near to the river, for the "buzz" and get the metro to the 1st arrondisement, it's not difficult.

Notre Dame is on an island in the middle of the Seine oppossite St Germaine 6th arrondisement it's about 3 miles west to the Eiffell tower. It's an interesting walk along Boulevard St Germain/ Rue St Dominique, or you can ride the number 87 bus from Church St Sulplice (drection Champ-de-Mars) to the parc Champ de mars on front of the Eiffel Tower. (much easier on the feet)There is not alot of interest around the Eiffel tower as it is in the centre of alot of upmarket appartment buildings but it's a place everyone want to visit at last once. It's lit up at night with alight show every hour that can be seen all over the city.

The queues to go up the tower are often long and you can often be hassled by gypsy begger women and scammers, just say "NO" and don't take them on.

Regarding Montmatre, I visted once in 2001 it's a "must see" like the Eiffel tower, but I was shocked by the graffiti, tacky tourist shops, rip off prices, scammers and general "red light" feel of the area.

We visited the Sacre Coeur church and the views were magnificent. Others on this forum rave about Montmatre so maybe I saw the wrong part of it. It may have been cleaned up since because so many people can't be wrong, but I have always found something better to do than go back.

Which hotels are you being offered on your deal?

Happy planning.

Denise

Love from Bolton!

4. Re: Overnight In Paris - Eurostar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 13:17