We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Le Marais or Rue Cler area? First trip to Paris!!!

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Le Marais or Rue Cler area? First trip to Paris!!!

Hello all-

My boyfriend and I will be going to Paris for the first time in July. We are having trouble deciding where to stay; in Rue Cler or Le Marais. They both seem like great areas.

We want centrally located but not super touristy and a reasonably priced hotel (100 Euro or less). Can anyone give us any advice? Also, I think we will be arriving on Bastille Day, July 14th, if I'm not incorrect. Any ideas what we should expect?

Thanks.

Adrian, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Le Marais or Rue Cler area? First trip to Paris!!!

I vote for the Marais.

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Le Marais or Rue Cler area? First trip to Paris!!!

me too, and another suggestion : St Germain area, the 6th ...

July 14th is the French National Holiday as July 4th for you .. A lot of fun and concerts, especially the evening on the Champs Elysées ...

Paris, France
Level Contributor
666 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Le Marais or Rue Cler area? First trip to Paris!!!

Hi;

In the Marais you might take a look at the Hotel Pratic on the Place du Marche St Catherine...

Hotel was recently renovated, good reputation, great location on a quiet side street, loads of charm outside the window and close to metro.

It's in your price range....

In the rue Cler try Hotel Champ du Mars, or a little more adventurous the Grand Leveque

UK
Destination Expert
for Istria, Rovinj, Pula
Level Contributor
2,750 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Le Marais or Rue Cler area? First trip to Paris!!!

Another vote for the Marais.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
290 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Le Marais or Rue Cler area? First trip to Paris!!!

We are taking our first trip at the end of August to Paris. We are staying in the 6th after doing a lot of research here on trip advisor. We are staying at the jardin de l'Odeon which is just north of Luxembourg Park.It seems about as central as you can get. If you book and pay for it now, they have rooms for 98 euro as opposed to like 150-200 euros.This hotel is ranked pretty high on Trip Advisor and had great reviews.

Durham. UK
Level Contributor
311 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Le Marais or Rue Cler area? First trip to Paris!!!

We loved the Marais, you can check it out on this web site www.parismarais.com

nashville
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Le Marais or Rue Cler area? First trip to Paris!!!

have stayed in both areas -- Marais hands down --

on Bastille Day there are airplane flyovers and parade -- and fireworks which are announced for 10 or so but go off closer to 12

each arrondisement has at least one public party which you can just join and dance

the Louvre was free that day when we were there -- and as my husband put it 'the tourists don't know it's free and the French won't be going to the Louvre that day, so it won't be crowded' and he was right (unlike free Sundays which are a zoo)

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Le Marais or Rue Cler area? First trip to Paris!!!

Thanks for all of the advice. How did you get your deal on hotel rooms; online or did you have to call the hotel directly?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
290 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Le Marais or Rue Cler area? First trip to Paris!!!

I booked online for jardin de l'Odeon under the summer rates - i think the only do a limited amount.

Jamie

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,172 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Le Marais or Rue Cler area? First trip to Paris!!!

Between the two, The Marais.

I really like the 6th. I'm going to stay in the 5th this next trip because of the apartment I'm renting and budget. I've stayed in the 7th. Very nice but to me a little more residential which isn't a bad thing at all. Still a lot of places to eat, etc. But I travel alone alot and there's more to do at night in the 6th, 5th and 4th.