We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trocadero area

Rockford, Michigan
Level Contributor
56 posts
338 reviews
Save Topic
Trocadero area

My wife and I are making our first trip to Paris, 5 nights. We are staying at the Hotel Le Parc - Trocadero (Marriott). I would appreciate any tips about the hotel or the area. I understand this is a quiet area, does anyone have any suggestions about restaurants (nothing too fancy). Is this a nice area to just wonder around and enjoy the neighborhood? I know this hotel is not exactly in the heart of the tourist area, I am just wondering if we are too far away for the center? Any commments or tips would be appreciated.

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Paris
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
White Umbrella Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Retro Tour Paris
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
City Wonders
City Tours, Night Tours, Cultural Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours
Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
174 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trocadero area

There is a great little cafe in the main traffic circle of the trocadero....I am tempted to say Cafe American of all things. If you go early, you can enjoy your breakfst looking out the window with a direct view through the Trocadero and of the tower. The sun rises behind it and it is void of the tourist buses. There is also a metro stop and a lot of other stores and cafes right in this main circle. I am not sure how far your hotel is from there, but it is a nice area....

Sean

Paris
Level Contributor
643 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trocadero area

I work and live in the area; it is lovely, with its own history and charms.

Here are a few ideas:

Some of the best macaroons made in Paris are on sale at the Carette, in place du Trocadero.

Le P'tit Troquet, rue Mesnil - bistro, very cool and traditional

Cafe de l'Homme, Trocadero - expensive, great view of tour eiffel, maybe try for lunch

Le Paris Seize , rue des Belles-Feuilles - very good food, local

Tampopo, rue Lauriston - top sushi

Le Gare - cool spot in an old train station

Passiflore, rue Longchamps - fine dining

Passy Mandarin, Place de Costa Rica - excellent Chinese

Palais de Tokyo, ave Pres Wilson - good terrasse for lunch with a view of the tour eiffel.

Find a walking tour of the old village of Passy, now part of the 16th. There is great architecture, for example, including some top Guimard buildings.

California
Level Contributor
324 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trocadero area

mgiroux, thanks for those suggestions; I will also be at the Le Parc in September. Do you know Chez Giraud in the 16th? Is it walking distance from the hotel? I hear it is excellent.

Rockford, Michigan
Level Contributor
56 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trocadero area

UpgradeQueen - Please post your thoughts of the LeParc Renaisance (Marriott) Trocadero. We are staying there for 5 nights in the middle of Oct. I would appreciate and information on hotel, sites, restaurants in the area. Have a great time and let me know how it goes via email or TA post.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
804 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trocadero area

There is also on Trocadero Place the Carette pastry shop, that provided nice macarons (less trendy than Laduree, though). Good place too to have your breakfast in the morning while watching the Tour Eiffel.

Also do not miss the marché on avenue du président Wilson Wednesday and Saturday morning. A very good one, I use to go there :-) (incidentally, the equestrian statue of Washington is right in front of it).

California
Level Contributor
324 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trocadero area

BigDaddy, I haven't stayed at Le Parc yet. We always use reward points in Paris, and I've been to the Hyatt Vendome (wonderful!) and the Marriott Vendome (very nice). This time, I couldn't get into the Marriott Vendome so I'm going for the Trocadero over the Champs Elysees. I don't see myself staying on the Champs Elysees. The reviews on this board of Le Parc are not inspiring, but it's only two nights for us and I'm looking forward to seeing a different part of Paris. As for the Marriott Vendome, I love the rooms and the location. There's a Pain Quotidian around the corner for breakfast, and it's a 2-minute walk to the #1 Metro. But you have to choose either a noisy street view (if you can get it) or a tomb-like "courtyard" view. I never have gotten anything but a wall outside my window, and we are Platinum Elite members. However, the hotel is elegant, small and personal, and we've gotten great service there. Sorry I couldn't be more help with Le Parc. I will let you know in September!

Dallas
Level Contributor
7 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trocadero area

Ditto for us in Sept. 09. I understand they have remodeled this hotel. I am most interested in the neighborhood and how far to the Metro...how was your trip last fall? Any info would be appreciated.

Dallas
Level Contributor
7 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trocadero area

so glad to me in touch with someone who lives in the area. We are making our first trip to Paris and using Marriott miles to stay at the Tracadero. My biggest concern is the neighborhood. We like to eat breakfast in the neighborhood before taking off on our adeventures. Do you know this hotel? Does it have close coffee shops/cafe's open for breakfast?

simpsonville,sc
Level Contributor
1,355 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trocadero area

Carette's pastries and macarons are lovely

California
Level Contributor
324 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trocadero area

We did the walk through Passy and went to Marmottan Museum, which is not to be missed. Passy is a lovely neighborhood, men playing (boci?) in the park, people living and working. It was my first time in this area, and we liked it a lot. Like all tourist spots, the area right around the tower is very crowded - watch your wallet - and avoid it unless you need to be there. The Marriott is very well located on a nice side street, quiet, short walk to Metro, lots of cafes nearby. Get a carnet (tickets) for the Metro and use it - best way to get around. But also make sure you walk along the Seine, preferably at dusk, walk over the Pont des Arts (footbridge) where young people are picnicking on the weekends...

Contact the hotel in advance and request a room on a high floor overlooking the courtyard. The higher floors have some views over the city. I think you'll like it. They serve breakfast in the courtyard and dinner, but the dining room was closed a lot while we were there (also in September) so ask about that. But it's better to get out of the hotel for breakfast, anyway. And remember, you'll pay more sitting at a table than standing at the counter!