We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving tour - rental car Paris to Normandy?

Annapolis
Destination Expert
for Annapolis
Level Contributor
724 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Driving tour - rental car Paris to Normandy?

Starting to firm up our plans for an early July trip. We have reservations for three nights (Fri-Sun) in Paris at Henri IV Rive Gauche. We will also pend a week in Brest with friends. In between, we have two days to do something - could be stretched to three, if necessary, or we could go directly to Brest if you don't think two days is sufficient to see anything. I really am not interested in touring castles, etc., but am looking for scenic small hamlets, pretty countryside etc. I had originally thought about driving West, through Angers, to the coast, stay in a chateau somewhere, and drive up the coast. But in an affort to avoid the route of the Tour de France which will happen at the same time, I am now thinking of driving north to stay overnight near the Normandy beaches, visit Mt St. Michel, perhaps Honfleur and then drive west to Brittany.

Questions:

1. Which route would be most scenic/interesting/recommended?

2. Where should I rent a car (we will drop it off at the airport in Brest) bearing in mind that I am really worried about driving in Paris?

3. Any other comments or suggestions?

Thanks so much for your help!!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,133 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving tour - rental car Paris to Normandy?

You might want to visit the Normandy forum for specific information and suggestions about that area. You also might want to pick up a guidebook to see what interests you.

If going there, I would suggest taking the train from Paris up to one of the towns in that area, and just renting a car there (there usually are car rental agencies right at train stations, so it's quite simple to do that). Some people don't mind driving in Paris, but if it makes you nervous that's an easy solution. Then, you can just drive around that area and see whatever seems interesting.

Level Contributor
3,493 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving tour - rental car Paris to Normandy?

I would take the train to Honfleur, rent the car there. Drive through Trouville and Deauville which are on the coast. Continue along the coast to the D-Day beaches and Arromanches, maybe stop in Bayeux if time permits, continue to Mt. St. Michel if you're interested in seeing it, then head to Brest.

VERY scenic....

Annapolis
Destination Expert
for Annapolis
Level Contributor
724 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving tour - rental car Paris to Normandy?

Thanks so much for your suggestions and advice. Do I need to purchase the train tickets in advance and can I get this train from the St.Michel metro stop which is right neatr my hotel? I would like to avoid dragging baggage through various metro stations, but could do a cab to Montparnassse, if necessary. Thanks, again.

West Linn, Oregon
Level Contributor
69 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving tour - rental car Paris to Normandy?

We are doing basically the same thing, but in reverse. We are arriving in Cherbourg in late July by ferry from Portsmouth, renting a car and staying 3 nights at Le Chateau de L'Isle-Marie (near Ste Mere Eglise) and then driving to Paris, where we will drop off the car and spend the rest of our vacation using trains and buses, and on foot.

I am not worried about driving in France. I'm sure I will get lost in Paris, but luckily the rental agent for our apartment in Paris (Pascal Zytomirski) is very helpful, and if I get lost I can call him on his cell phone and he will help me.

If you haven't confirmed your stay in Normandy, check out the Chateau. The owners are Simon and Dorothea, the Chateau is a castle. You can google it by name.

5. Re: Driving tour - rental car Paris to Normandy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 00:19