We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shipping packages to the US via Fedex/UPS or Post?

KTfromNC
Level Contributor
352 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Shipping packages to the US via Fedex/UPS or Post?

Many thanks to all those who have helped us to date.

And with that one more request.

We need to ship some packages back home to the US and would love to be able to do it via a company that is close by to the location we are at here in Paris.

Anything like Fedex, UPS or the Postal Service in the area of rue Pierre Lescot?

Thank you,

KT.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
666 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Shipping packages to the US via Fedex/UPS or Post?

Hi;

Depending on the size of your packages, one of the most cost effective ways to ship is at the post office.

You can buy pre-paid boxes, Colissimo, of varying sizes for international shipments.

Rates are much better than UPS or FedEx, but again depends on the size.

The largest Colissimo boxes will hold six volumes of Will Durant's Story of Civilization with room for a few small tins of foie gras...

KTfromNC
Level Contributor
352 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shipping packages to the US via Fedex/UPS or Post?

So, our first foray into the small local "poste" went not to well as the lady behind the counter spoke no English and she could no, or did not care to, comprehend that we wished to send approximately 6kg.

We ended up with a box that will hold all of 6 paperback novels for a cost of 18 euros!

Off to the main "Poste Office" on rue de Louvre tomorrow where we'll take along the multiple legal size file folders that we need tosend back to the US in th ehopes that we can get this matter resolved.

Any estimate of the actual postal cost?

Thx,

KT

Paris, France
Level Contributor
666 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Shipping packages to the US via Fedex/UPS or Post?

Hi

If your French is limited, consider the Post Office in the underground mall at the Louvre.

Also if you are sending files to multiple address you can try the post machines.

They have a scale on top and they are multi lingual.

Good Luck

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
328 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shipping packages to the US via Fedex/UPS or Post?

We used Mailboxes Etc or one of those type places to ship two boxes home from Italy. Both were pretty light but it still ran us 150 euro or so. Not sure if the French post is cheaper... needless to say, we haven't tried to ship anything since!

KTfromNC
Level Contributor
352 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shipping packages to the US via Fedex/UPS or Post?

Our problem is that we have several file folders of business papers that will put us overwieght on the airline, at a cost of $150.00 US minimum, and it would be much easier to ship them via post than to lug the extra wieght in our luggage.

If it costs the same, or similar, for post, then that would be a beter choice in my mind.

Great Barrington...
Level Contributor
4,260 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shipping packages to the US via Fedex/UPS or Post?

For some reason, on of the few places I have had language issues is at the French post offices.

I thought the post office at the Louvre would be the best place to ship stuff since it was located in an spot where you would expect the postal workers to be able to communicate with non-French speakers but it didn't work out too well.

I found that if I asked my hotel concierge to take care of it, it worked out very well.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,861 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shipping packages to the US via Fedex/UPS or Post?

UPS, FedEx, and DHL all have offices around the world. A visit to their individual websites will tell you the locations.

8. Re: Shipping packages to the US via Fedex/UPS or Post?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 02:18