We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ugh ! I can't eat that !

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Irish in Paris
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Ugh ! I can't eat that !

I was just looking over the threads in TA where first time visitors are worried about not being able to find food that they'll be able to eat while in Paris/France. The idea that we eat raw mince / snails / frogs legs /duck liver *all the time* seems to linger still but I can see how some of those foodstuffs can turn people off.

Now IMHO most countries have something that most tourists are just not going to eat.

France has snails. In Scotland they have Haggis (stuffed sheep's stomach). In Ireland a lot of visiters keep away from the blood sausage.

But I can't think of anything from the USA that I've never said 'Ugh' to that I was served in a restaurant or saw on a menu. Granted there are some processed products that worry me (cheese that you spray out of a can for example) but none that I wouldn't try at least once.

Have I missed something here? Any Us folks that can tell me what I should try next time I'm in the USA that I probably won't want to try a second time? :)

Tucson, AZ
Level Contributor
359 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ugh ! I can't eat that !

Hmm...I avoid Liver and Onions like the plague. :) I love pate, so it's not ALL liver that I hate...I think here in the US liver-and-onions is made with beef liver or calf's liver and the taste is so strong and the texture is awful in most places. I have heard that done right, it is delicious. But I won't chance it.

If you go to some rural places, you might be offered rattlesnake. But I hear it tastes like chicken and is no big deal. But the thought of it scares people away.

BTW, I adore escargots, frog's legs and foie gras. Maybe I ought to try liver and onions again....hmm....

Seattle
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ugh ! I can't eat that !

Being from the Northwest, many people are repulsed by a regional shellfish geoduck (gooey duck), it's about 10 inch long shell and a wrinkled 4 inch diameter neck that protrudes upto another 10 inches. Actually quite good, but needs to be prepared correctly with lots of tenderizing of the neck.

Same can be said for the look of the raw octopus in the market!

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ugh ! I can't eat that !

I'm quite fond of liver and onions, with bacon and mashed poatatoes, of course. But then it's not really American, is it? It's British, I think. That's the problem here. Almost nothing that we eat in the US is actually American.

One thing you COULD eat in the US - I never have, and though I MIGHT taste it once, I think that would be enough - is lutefisk, which I understand to be cod preserved by soaking it in lye. Of course that is a Norwegian "delicacy" so there we are again...

The one thing that is, I think, American that I really don't like is grits. Yes, I know, I've never tasted grits the way your grandma from Louisiana makes them, but I've eaten them enough all over the south and I've never liked them.

Funny thing is I like polenta, which is quite similar, and I really like porridge...

Paris, France
Level Contributor
804 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Ugh ! I can't eat that !

how do you call these potato skin fried ?

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,992 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ugh ! I can't eat that !

Stuff from the USA that makes you go 'ugh'...

I'm repulsed by anything that I can't identify like McDonald's burgers/fries and other fast food items. Why don't these things decompose like normal organic substances? What will it do inside of me?

It's hard to find a real cup of soup or pile of potato chips in the US now. Everything's loaded with msg to the hilt. American food's also loaded with butter, fats, hormones and salts everywhere; and if not, false scary substitutes for butter, fats and sweeteners. If it causes cancer in laboratory animals, what will it do to me?

yechhh.

American food is Purina People food & soylent green.

Pass the snails, haggis, blood sausage, etc. I have a better idea where these came from.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ugh ! I can't eat that !

Ummmm... fried potato skins?

And NOBODY who hasn't seen one running wild, and there are very few of us that have, knows where a haggis comes from!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ugh ! I can't eat that !

I will put myself in the corner with the liver and onions crowd - tender calves' liver with a little bacon, and cooked until the onions are just getting tender...... sorry, wiping the drool from my lips.

Ok here's the no-go list: chitlin's, prairie oysters, squirrel stew.

PS: made haggis pizza once - wasn't bad at all!

Irish in Paris
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ugh ! I can't eat that !

"squirrel stew"

That's a funny name for beef or lamb or chicken isn't it?

Isn't it.......?

Please tell me it is !

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ugh ! I can't eat that !

>> made haggis pizza once <<

That sound you hear in the distance is the skirl of the Coel Mor, the Scottish war pipes, approaching ever closer. And if you listen closely you will hear rhe unforgettable metallic clash of claymores being drawn...

Alba go bragh!!!!

Ohio
Level Contributor
115 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ugh ! I can't eat that !

Chitlins come to mind. I'm not exactly sure what they are, but I've heard the word "intestines" thrown around when people talk about them. And that they smell like, well, excrement. I had a friend who said her grandmother made them every year at Thanksgiving, and she had to leave the house because the smell was repulsive.

Pickled pig's feet, chicken livers, hog testicles, pig knuckles (?)--I've seen them all on menus in the U.S. and would not care to eat them!

For me, it's the good ol' American hot dog. "Ugh, I can't eat that."