We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris to Nice/Marseille/Cannes...

New York City
Level Contributor
109 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Paris to Nice/Marseille/Cannes...

We are travelling via train from Paris to Rome, and thought we might stop in one of the beach resorts for one night en route. Does anyone have a suggestion of which city would be most conducive to our needs? It looks like the rail europe train goes to both Nice and Marseille - are either of these cities good for relaxing on the beach during a whirlwind European tour? If so, any hotel ideas? Also, wanting to make sure we can easily get from the train to the hotel.....

Retro Tour Paris
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
White Umbrella Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours
My Private Paris
Walking Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Private Tours
Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris to Nice/Marseille/Cannes...

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the "rail europe" train from Rome to Nicce and Marseille. There are several trains daily on this route, operated jointly by the French rail system, SNCF, and the Italian, Trenitalia. Most, if not all, of them are not direct though, involving at least one connection.

My preference if I were making the trip as part of a vacation would be to take the night train, which is direct. (I think there are actually two or three but only one of them is direct.) That would save the daylight hours for sight-seeing, as well as saving the cost of a hotel.

If you want to spend a day in either Nice or Marseille, I'd pick Nice. Marseille is a big and rather gritty port city. Nice is, IMO, much pleasanter. Marseille does not have a beach, and, while Nice does, it is shingle not sand. There are sandy beaches close by, at Beaulieu-sur-Mer for example, less than ten minutes from Nice by bus or train.

Lots of interesting places in Nice to explore and good restaurants too, but i you stay in Beaulieu, you'll find plenty of places to eat there too.

I don't stay in hotels when I am in this area, so I am niot the best person to ask. If you decide on Nice or that area, you could ask for hotel recommendations on the Nice forum.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
125 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris to Nice/Marseille/Cannes...

Take an overnight night train to Nice and when you arrive in the morning, wake up and look outside. The view is breathtaking and one where you are so thankful to not be blind. The sunrise on the sea, the sound of the train on the tracks and the early morning smell of coffee is.... wonderful....if you plan it on the right day, you might get into the open markets right when they open in old Nice. The taxi fare is inexpensive and you will be treated to something that can only be carried in your memories. Good luck.

Hanover, Germany
Level Contributor
1,277 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris to Nice/Marseille/Cannes...

I would recommend Cannes for a short stay. It's not as large as Nice, you don't have so much traffic at the 'Croisette' as at the 'Promenade des Anglais' at Nice. I've been there for some hours in May and found it has a more relaxing atmosphere than Nice. For infos have a look at