We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tap water

San Diego...
Level Contributor
58 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
tap water

We go next week and still have a couple of question. Do most of you drink the tap water or do you go with bottled?

Will it be in poor taste to wear jeans during the day?

Looks like the weather is getting better....we will be there 4-15 is it usually preety nice this time of year?

Guess Iam just getting nervous, but excited! Thanks,

Nancy

New York
Level Contributor
476 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tap water

My husband & I drank the water and we were fine. We did bottled while out & about during the day and continued with it in the hotel room, but at restaurants we were fine with tap. Of course we actually drank wine. :-)

We wore jeans every single day and we looked like every other tourist. We were fine in our jeans & sneakers.

Have a great time & enjoy!!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,258 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tap water

Had no trouble with the water at all. I drink (tap) water in carafes not bottled at restaurants.

I wore jeans or black jeans all day and night, but never sneakers (black Geox shoes) and kept being asked where things were in French by other French tourists who assumed I was local. And, I'm not small!

It seemed to me that 90% of the French under the age of 60 were in jeans.

I'm making my first trip to San Diego next week and worried my typically black outfits are not going to be a hit there! Just found out about the May gloom - not what I was expecting weatherwise.

San Diego
Level Contributor
787 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tap water

Nancy Sue,

The tap water in Paris is better than the tap water we have here! I usually drink Diet Coke, but, to save money, buy a bottle of water at a local Tabac or supermarche, when it's gone, keep filling it from the tap.

Jeans are fine during the day, but I'm one of those who doesn't recommend them for dinner. I asked our Hotel's front desk for reservations for dinner while wearing jeans and got kind of a funny look - when we were leaving for dinner, I'd changed into slacks and a sweater and got an approving nod.

Evening, May & June are typically overcast here in San Diego, it's called June Gloom, summer doesn't typically "begin" until the end of June. April was actually very nice and this past weekend we had temperatures up into the 80's & 90's. However, today is partly overcast and 60 degrees. Come anyway, it won't get too cold, Black should be fine, but we're a little more colorful out here for the most part! Enjoy your trip!

Oregon
Level Contributor
5,147 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tap water

If you use the "search" feature of this forum you will see many threads discussing drinking tap water. In short, the tap water is just fine. When at a restaurant, ask for "un carafe d'eau" and they will bring you a carafe of tap water.

I also bought a bottle of water from the supermarche and once I drank it, I just refilled the bottle and carried it around with me to drink throughout the day.

You can go on line to check out what the weather usually is this time of year. But the weather in Paris is fickle. Check it for a few days before you go to Paris to get an idea of how to dress. Nevertheless, keep in mind that it might end up being very different than predicted.

I think jeans are probably acceptable. However, unless you are in your 20's, I think it is more respectful to dress a little nicer--and then even moreso if you go to a fancy restaurant, the Opera Garnier, etc. You are in another country. What you say, what you do, and how you dress all reflect on you and your country. I've been to Paris 4 times. I have seen lots of teens and 20's in jeans (even Parisiennes). However, the women older than that don't wear jeans. I know that people on this site say they do but that isn't what I saw. The only exception might be "black" jeans. The color black is very big in Paris. Black pants, top, handbag, etc. with perhaps a little color somewhere--or not.

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
3,779 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tap water

In Love with Paris, you should actually ask for "une carafe d'eau" (a carafe is definitively feminin as everyone can see!).

Tap water is good and it saves a lot of money, so just perfect!

Oregon
Level Contributor
5,147 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tap water

only-lyon: Thanks so much for the correction. I try really hard to get it right when I am in Paris and always appreciate corrections. Part of the fun of being in Paris is practicing speaking the beautiful french language.

Rumson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tap water

I'm a bottled water drinker, have the big water cooler at home. Last trip to Paris had the tap water and it was just fine!

UK
Level Contributor
2,574 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tap water

NancysueSDCA.

Hi

the water like in USA is perfectly safe however when USA/UK boxers or sportsmen go to compete

often take own - something to do with different salts can upset tums. On long hols I drink local on short hols drink Bottled

Hope have lovely time

Regmaiche

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,258 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tap water

thanks SDJeff! I forgot all about this thread or would have thanked you sooner. Whatever the weather - I'm going... Its a business trip.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,100 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tap water

Tap water is fine, and I haven't heard of it upsetting anyones stomache. I know that different water sometimes can, even if it is good, but I have not heard that the water in Paris is known for that at all. Athletes are super paranoid about everything they eat or drink before they compete, as well they should be, but they too would most likely be fine with Pariseine tap water.

I have even see locals taking the water from an outdoor water fountain, ( there was one on Boulevard St Michel) ,, we didn't do that, but we did drink tap water at every meal since it was a great way to stretch the budget. (Bottled water and coke at restaurants can easily be 3- 5 euros, so it does add up) .

We also bought a six pack of beer and a six pack of diet coke to have in our mini bar fridge at the hotel for snacking.