We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How early should we book accommodation

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NSW Australia
Level Contributor
469 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
How early should we book accommodation

We are planning our 'dream' trip to Europe but it isn't until September 2009.

How early is too early to book things like accommodation. Should we book 12 months out? or is that too early...or maybe too late.

I reckon that I will be an expert by the time I get there as I think I'm becoming addicted to TA. Everyones stories are so interesting.

Carson City, Nevada
Level Contributor
225 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How early should we book accommodation

Aussiemerc

I personally never book hotels more than three months in advance. Depends on what hotel(s) you're considering. The well-located places can be in high demand in September. Have you figured out what area in Paris you'd like to stay?

NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,672 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How early should we book accommodation

I usually start thinking about booking about six to eight months in advance - but only because I find researching where to stay one of the most exciting parts of my trip planning! Actually, you may find that some hotels won't take bookings more than a few months in advance, you'll just have to play that by ear.

And I agree, popular places do book out early - however I would think that you'd be able to be fairly choosy if you start about eight months out.

Happy planning!

halwimsey

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,133 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How early should we book accommodation

Many of the Paris hotels I looked at did not take any reservations more than 6 months out.

I'd probably recommend you decide on an area of Paris to stay in and choose some hotels in preparation for booking.

And finally, out of all the addictions you could have, an addiction to TA should be encouraged. :)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
748 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How early should we book accommodation

I think it depends how picky you are. We booked our July trip (1 week, during Tour de France finals) about 6 months in advance, but we wanted a specific hotel that only has about 12 rooms. When we went for a long weekend in April, it was more spur of the moment and we booked about 3 weeks in advance and were happy to be more flexible with the hotel and the location.

I think 12 months is too early, but 6 months is probably about right to start seriously looking.

pacific northwest
Level Contributor
621 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How early should we book accommodation

Hi Aussiemerc,

We will be going to Paris for the first time at the end of May so I'm no expert, I'll just share what my experience was. In researching accomodations last November for this trip I had to grab some dates and an apt. from a certain company based in the US that I had heard good things about if I wanted something in my price range (we prefer apartments ). So it may depend on what your $ stituation is and if you want apt or hotel. I don't know if hotels have more leeway or not. But with the dollar verses euro I'm glad I paid in dollars, so that was a beg factor for me, along with size of apt, neighborhood, etc.

So, I guess I found that 7 months ahead was not too early and many dates and apts were already booked, maybe just this one company is popular.?

pacific northwest
Level Contributor
621 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How early should we book accommodation

Sorry! "Big" factor....

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,649 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How early should we book accommodation

You can book as soon as you have enquired about cancelation policies. It is easier to book and change your mind about place or time that book at last minute.It is especially important if you have a starred restaurant in mind.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
202 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How early should we book accommodation

I agree, TA is addictive. I need my daily "fiX" first thing each morning with my coffee.

You will also pick up heaps of tips, ideas and suggestions for your coming trip, so by the time you are ready to book you will have a great idea of where you want to stay, eat etc.

You can use this extra time to hunt around for the best hotel rates, so when it does come time to book you will know which website has the best rates for your chosen hotel.

Enjoy the planning!

Shooshy

simpsonville,sc
Level Contributor
1,355 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How early should we book accommodation

Although Sept. is less tourist it is trade show/convention time so if you want to stay in a chain type hotel that caters to groups needing meeting rooms etc. (something like the Paris Eiffel Hilton) keep that in mind.Many hotels are small,say 20 rooms ,so if you see one you like thats limited book as soon as they are accepting gookings. Do check cancellation policy.

We booked an apartment in Jan for Oct.last year and booked in Jan for Aug this year.

scarpenter4
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How early should we book accommodation

A few things:

I recently discoverd booking dot com, you do not need to pay at the time of the reservation like so many of the travel services.

Also I use Hotwire and Priceline and its never too early to look at the Hotwire offerings. They can change daily.

The $150 deal that I got for July was gone a few days later.

I have used both Priceline and Hotwire in Paris.

For Priceline you really need to check out Betterbidding dot com.

If you register with them, you can easily search key

words like "Paris" and that saves lots of time.

If you see someone reporting a hotel you like around your time frame...its time to consider.

Good luck