We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Day 2, Saturday

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,716 posts
202 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - Day 2, Saturday

We had another leisurely start on Saturday, and awoke to find the sun was out, contrary to weather forecasts. It was a stunning day, indeed!

We set out on the RER to St-Michel du Notre Dame and went to our favourite cafe from our honeymoon trip, across from our previous hotel on Rue Lagrange. The pain aux raisins are as big as cart wheels, and as this is my favourite breakfast bite whilst in France, it is a good place for us! Plus the coffee (another must) and pain au chocolat (my husbands fave) are pretty blooming good too!

Then we hopped back on the RER and back to Pont d'Alma for the Musee des Egouts. We only had a short queue of less than five minutes before heading down the stairs (tickets cost €4.20 pp). The staff were very helpful, allowing me to go through to the toilet and chatting away happily with my dh about why on earth we'd pay to go in a sewer!

The Musee itself was very interesting, telling us a great deal of historical fact and allowing us to get a good feel for the work of the sewer workers. Plus, all importantly, it did not smell too badly at all!!!

After than we went to Les Halles shopping centre and failed to find new shoes for my loved one, before heading back for a quick baguette and remoulade lunch. We had another stroll at the Jardins, seeing the Medici fountain and - it seemed - all of Paris as the park was packed!

Then we returned to the hotel to freshen up for Maceo.

We arrived early but were seated straight away. I went for the Menu Vert (€32) and hubby the Menu Decouverte (€38). He started with smoked salmon, poached egg and asparagus soup, myself with poached egg, asparagus tips and pea shoots. Both good. The main was excellent. I had pasta risotto of broad beans and artichoke and dh had wild duck with turnip and fruit. Then to pudding I had a raisin macaroon, apple and chocolate tower, of which the chocolate was AMAZING! Hubby had a fraise sorbet and fresh fraise with cream which was quite delicious and fresh.

We enjoyed the house cava with our meal, which was also good.

All in all, Maceo's food was still breathe taking, but the service, on this very busy night, was not so great. Last time we had jokes, chats and all our food explained in great detail in BOTH French and English. That made it feel special, plus it felt like "our" place then, with only us and six other diners in their all evening. After recommending it to everyone I now realise that means everyone goes!!!!!!!!! Oh well, still great.

Off for breakfast now, and then Montmartre for a veggie lunch! We'll see...

More anon...

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
3,416 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - Day 2, Saturday

Very interesting report, riotstar, how refreshing to read about vegetarian food in Paris.

Denise

Love from Bolton

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
Level Contributor
4,466 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - Day 2, Saturday

excellent trip report.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - Day 2, Saturday

Glad to know that the Musee des Egouts doesn't smell too bad!

4. Re: Trip Report - Day 2, Saturday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 17:18