We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

An expensive clothing treat for a guy

Lawndale, California
Level Contributor
665 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
An expensive clothing treat for a guy

I'd like to treat myself to a nice, expensive piece of clothing or an accessory while in Paris. I'm a big guy, so shirts, pants, etc. is not really an option, but was thinking perhaps a nice scarf, tie, or leather bag. Any particular designer or upscale shops I should visit? It's probably my one shot at haute couture, so I'm not so concerned about price. Any recommendations would be great. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
347 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: An expensive clothing treat for a guy

There's a great gentlemen's clothing shop on Place Vendome. It's almost directly opposite the Hotel de Vendome which is at 1 Place Vendome.

The staff in there are very patient and helpful, and I bought my husband two very beautiful silk ties last time we were over in Paris. Alternatively Hermes has some beautiful items that might be suitable.

If you specifically want haute couture, that is a legal term which refers to a small number of designers/couturiers who are listed here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haute_couture

Happy shopping.

Mentioned in this post
Place Vendome
Place Vendome
942 Reviews
Paris, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Hermes
Hermes
161 Reviews
Paris, France
Southeast
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: An expensive clothing treat for a guy

While in Paris this March, I treated myself to a charcoal/black cashmere scarf from Hermès. There are several locations in Paris, one just happened to be in my hotel.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Southeast
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: An expensive clothing treat for a guy

I wanted to add that Louis Vuitton has a nice selection of men's leather accessories. I visited the flagship store but the place was so crowded with Asian tourist it was difficult to browse, so I left.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
611 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: An expensive clothing treat for a guy

Every well dressed man should have an Hermes necktie!

Mentioned in this post
Hermes
Hermes
161 Reviews
Paris, France
nebraska
Level Contributor
313 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: An expensive clothing treat for a guy

Tigger is right on with the advice to go to Charvet at 1 Place Vendome. If money is no object have shirts custom made for you there.

Mentioned in this post
Place Vendome
Place Vendome
942 Reviews
Paris, France
Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
3,809 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: An expensive clothing treat for a guy

Hermès is great, you should get to the main store, 24 rue Faubourg Saint-Honoré (the windows are always amazing!). They have all you mention : scarves, ties, leather bags, plus elegant belts, beautiful notebooks, and great perfumes...

Minnesota
Level Contributor
611 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: An expensive clothing treat for a guy

Or you could treat yourself to a bottle of cologne from this store. www.creedperfumes.us/ They make colognes and perfumes for famous people.

Washington state
Level Contributor
720 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: An expensive clothing treat for a guy

Hey, very cool . . . a guy shopping post!

Mykonos, Greece
Level Contributor
555 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: An expensive clothing treat for a guy

If you want something really unusual, go to Goyard's at 233 Rue St Honore (not far from Place Vendome), they are the most famous brand of leathergoods you've never heard of. Their gimmick is a neat chevron print that comes on a selection of colors. I stumbled in there and walked out thrilled to have spent a couple thousand Euro on an incredible black and tan duffel bag. And I felt I was being boring by not picking one of the brighter colors. It may not strike your fancy, but it's worth a look. Another option is go to Cartier's flagship at 13 Rue de la Paix and pick up a solid gold classic Tank watch, if you're into bling.

Mentioned in this post
Place Vendome
Place Vendome
942 Reviews
Paris, France
Rue de la Paix
Rue de la Paix
62 Reviews
Paris, France
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
749 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: An expensive clothing treat for a guy

My husband always buys shoes in Paris. The styles are generally nicer looking than American shoes (sleeker and European looking).

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France