We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reflections On My First Day In Paris

Indian Shores...
Level Contributor
700 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Reflections On My First Day In Paris

The hub-unit and I flew all night out of Miami, and arrived in Paris on Wednesday at around 9:30AM Although this white-knuckler possibly pulled in two Valium-and-wine-induced hours of sleep on our turbulent flight, I was not willing to waste a day. After checking into our Hilton Hotel in the shadow of the Eiffel Tower (which we are finding quite pleasing)...I did a one hour shower and makeup overhaul while the hubster took a power snooze, and we headed out. From our hotel, we sauntered past Le Tour Eiffel (which is much taller and more amazing than I had even imagined), and stolled along the Seine (crossing from the left to right on the return trip), to log an approximate six miles of pedestrian exploration this afternoon.

First Impressions:

The denizens of Paris are wonderful! I have no idea where this "rudeness" stereotype comes from, because we have been treated with nothing but kindness, consideration, and the utmost in courtesy and helpfulness from the moment we hit French soil. Our butchered attempts at communication in the language have been met with patience, humour, and gentle tutelage.

We had a freakishly amazing lunch at Aux Marches du Palais, where we perservered despite being somewhat intimidated by the complete and utter absence of English word either spoken by staff, written on the menu, or posted on the wine board. Oh. My. Gawd. The Foie Gras starter will never been forgetten...thin, rose-grey colored slices of that delicacy served up with a fig preserve garnish and pink sea (I'm guessing) salt, served with hearty toasted bread slices. My husband had duck tenderloins encased in phyllo with asparagus and a side of bean sprouts, and I had a beef tenderloin with golden fried potatoes. We finished up with a dessert of ice crean and chocolate sauce piped into a rolled-up wafer shell with caramel drizzle and pear sorbet. With two glasses of house wine and one le of Beaujolais, $127 Euros, but SO worth it!

Dress: I've seen every measure of dress today from jeans and ankle boots, to shors/skirts/capris with sandals and tanks. Footwear ranged from sandals, to athletic shoes, to mule/pumps/short boots, whatever. What I did not see was anyone (outside of wait staff) who was dressed totally in black, nor did I see a single person wearing a scarf (but it WAS warm). I wore a nice embellished tee and capri set with good sandals all day, and no one ever even gave me the fashion "hairy eyeball". Dress is as individual and accepted here as it seems to be in every other city in our country.

After picking up some wine and pastries for tomorrew, we are in pre-comatose lock-down for the evening. Stay tuned tomorrow for reports on our lunch at Le Jules Vern and a nighttime Fat Tire Bike Tours. :D

Indian Shores...
Level Contributor
700 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reflections On My First Day In Paris

I forgot to add the most important part: I am completely and utterly bedazzled by Paris. From what I have experienced of it thus far...it is, hands down, the most beautiful city I have ever seen in my life. Wow.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reflections On My First Day In Paris

What a fun post...continued good food, good weather and good times :)

Indian Shores...
Level Contributor
700 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reflections On My First Day In Paris

Ack! Just wanted to edit my original post...we had ice "cream" and "Bottle" of Beaujolais. Time for sleep...brain is badly shutting down. :/

Indian Shores...
Level Contributor
700 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reflections On My First Day In Paris

Thank you, happygoin! Will shut up now...sorry again for all of the typos, but my exhausted, sleepless brain is SO shutting down. I really DO know how to spell. ;)

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
3,767 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reflections On My First Day In Paris

So sweet to read your first impressions, Sweetpolly! How wise to have started with this pedestrian exploration, excellent to get a first impression and excellent to fight the jetlag too...Looking forward to reading your 2nd trip report!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
162 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reflections On My First Day In Paris

Thank you for sharing! I anxiously await your next post.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,222 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reflections On My First Day In Paris

Yes, thank you!

(I think it would be best to continue posting on this same Topic, rather than starting a new one each day, so your entire trip report will be in one place.)

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reflections On My First Day In Paris

sweetpolly, thank you for the descriptive first day report. Welcome to the club!

Garden Grove...
Level Contributor
3,196 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Reflections On My First Day In Paris

Thank you for your report. I am so glad you are falling in love with Paris. It seems you caught the Paris addiction rather quickly.

SF
Level Contributor
501 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Reflections On My First Day In Paris

Lucky you, Hilton over Eiffel tower is so so expensive.