We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stupid Question, but, in case of emergency....

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
424 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Stupid Question, but, in case of emergency....

I know the likelihood of it actually happening is extremely rare, but I'm an extremely anal person...

With that said: in case of emergency while in Paris, say like something that had happened in London....

Do I go to the US Embassy immediately?? Or would I just be better off going to my hotel, doing what I planned on doing and call family from there?

See, I told you it was a dumb question....

Paris
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stupid Question, but, in case of emergency....

Not a dumb question.

Unless you need the services of the Embassy, I would simply go to you hotel or a phone booth and attempt to call the family to let them know you are safe and then go about your day. As phone lines might be tied up sending an email would be another option.

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
403 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stupid Question, but, in case of emergency....

That's not a stupid question at all. It's an excellent one, and one that we should all consider. I'm very curious about the responses, too.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
15,696 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stupid Question, but, in case of emergency....

NOT a dumb question.

My experience has been that it is best to try and make a bee line to the nearest phone and call home to let them know you are okay. Don't even wait to get to the hotel, just pick up a phone card at the nearest Tabac.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
424 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stupid Question, but, in case of emergency....

FYI:

Found some helpful info from here: www.state.gov/travel/

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
748 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stupid Question, but, in case of emergency....

Not a stupid question. I was in Paris on 9/11 (ok, it didn't happen in Paris...) and I called the US Embassy to check in and let them know I was there in case they had any kind of instructions or information for me. I didn't actually hear from them again! I also emailed a few friends and called my mother to let them know I wasn't at home (DC area) and was ok.

paris
Level Contributor
2,646 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stupid Question, but, in case of emergency....

I wouldn't go to the embassy as they would already be very busy dealing with the names of the people involved in this, if any. Just walk to your hotel and phone home to tell them you are OK. Hope it doesn't happen.

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,856 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stupid Question, but, in case of emergency....

If my experience in London this week has been anything to go by, using a public phone will be a lot more efficient that trying to use a mobile (cell) phone.

This is because everyone is trying to call home, overloading the system, the system may have actually been closed to prevent mobile phones being used to trigger more bombs, and the mobile system being closed to allow only emergency services phones (although how this works Im not sure).

Of course, this only applies if you have a card or enough cash to dial direct (Im not sure - are there credit card phones in Paris? Cant remember). If you try to connect via an operator or reverse charges, you may well be p*ssing into the wind.

WA, USA
Level Contributor
371 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stupid Question, but, in case of emergency....

And get on the phone quickly. Remember the big earthquake in the SF area in 1989, the Loma Prieta quake? I felt it several hundred miles away and realized it was probably pretty bad. Within a few minutes I had managed to reach my father, who had just spoken with my mother so I knew they were OK. Immediately after hanging up I tried to call my sister and I couldn't get through. This was minutes after the quake! I wasn't able to talk to anyone in the Bay area again for three days.

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,856 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stupid Question, but, in case of emergency....

True - and call before it hits the news-screens in your home country - I was actually on the phone to my parents when the newsflash was shown on Aussie TV. This saved them a lot of worry!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
424 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stupid Question, but, in case of emergency....

DesAlps - Yes, I was there for the '89 quake and remember how hectic is was to hear from people as power was out for 3 days.

I guess my best option is to head to the nearest payphone and call home...

Thanks, all!