We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip summary - family of 5 with one in wheelchair

Avalon, New Jersey
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Topic
trip summary - family of 5 with one in wheelchair

There are lots of trip reports being posted now, but we arrived home last night after a week in France and thought I'd post a few notes that might be helpful to some.

First - thanks to this forum and all the regulars as it was very helpful in all my obsessive planning.

Few notes:

Location - We stayed in the 6th (Hotel A'Aubusson) and loved it. Since we have a wheelchair and did not feel we could use the metro, we knew we would be walking a lot. Paris is huge (larger than I expected - compared to other cities we have visited in Europe - Rome, Florence, London, Munich, Zurich)

We found the 6th a great location as it is central to walk to all sites and when we arrived back at the hotel in the evening for a quick break before dinner - there were tons of choices for evening entertainment and eating. Also, lots of Patisseries in the area for a nice sweet in the morning. Very safe and clean area to stay.

Food - I had a list of several places from guides and this site as possible restaurants to try. We ended up not using it at all, as for lunch we ended up eating in whatever area we ended up in when we were hungry. We found many nice choices with good food. After all,Paris is a big city with many great food choices. And for dinner- we stayed near our hotel as we were tired and did not want to venture too far. So many good choices near by - just asked at the hotel or wandered and looked at menus. Were not disappointed at all - Maybe we did not have the gourmet meals of a well planned foodie trip - but the food was good to great at all of our picks. Many times, we struck up a conversation with a near by table and came upon regulars that recommended certain meals - always were happy with the recomendaitons. For breakfast we stuck to goodies from the several near by Patisseries....how can you go wrong with that.

Wheelcahir access- what can I say - it was actually very good for a large historical city. Every street corner had curb cuts and well labled crossing areas. The major museums all offered free admission for the wheelchair user and one other to push them. We found the sites we visited for the most part accessable - a few were not and we took turns wandering the area with our daugther while the others toured the site. My husband is afraid of heights - so he waited with her while we did hte Eiffel Tower - but I do think chairs can get up the first level for a nice view - butnot the top. She couldnot get in to the Pantheon or Sacre Coeur - but both has nice areas to wander near by. At all the sites she could visit - representatives pulled the entire family out of the line and showed us to special entrances - so we had no waits - which was very nice. In fact - At CDG - they could not have been better - we were pulled to the front of every line both at arrival and departure. That is all I can think ofon the wheel chair access - I'd say Rome did a better job at all the sites (even the colluseum was accessable there) but Paris surprised me with the access they had. If anyone has more specific quesitons, feel free to ask. Also, note that we push her - she is not a self pusher or an electric chair - and there aremanycoblestone areas - so if the bumps bother you - that could be an issue - she kind of likes the bumbyride sometimes.

Bread - the best bread in the world!

Taxi - we waited about 5 min for a large taxi at the taxi line and our cost for 5 people , 4 suitcases, a foldable wheelchair from CDG to the 6th was 50 euro- we arrived sun at 7am and made excellent time to the hotel and I know the driver did not charge the extra fees he could of for the additional people and bags....

People - could not have been nicer. At the hotel,airport and sites, everyone was fluent in english and made discussions easy. In some smaller shops and not touristy areas they did not always speak english - but were friendly and we were able to communicate enough to do what we needed to do - ususally buy food.....

Also, I had a bad experience with a rental car breaking down on a narrow street, thus blocking traffic, the car started smoking and stopped moving 5 min after I picked it up on the way to the hotel. I was blocking traffic. Four men thsat were working on the street stopped and spoke no english - they were so kind andpushed me to the side so traffic could get by. Then they stayed with me to find someone that spoke English - this man stayed with me and called the rental co (Europcar) to get assistance there and helped me with that....I could not believe how friendly and helpful everyone was - In my experience the 'French hat Americans' reputation is completely wrong.....The entire trip the people we met were friendly and helpful and really kind. I cannot tell you how many people approached us to tell us how pretty our daughter in the wheelchair is ...

enough rambling....allin allan excellent trip.

Retro Tour Paris
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
White Umbrella Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours
My Private Paris
Walking Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Private Tours
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip summary - family of 5 with one in wheelchair

Glad to hear your trip went well (except for car). I think trips depend on attitude and you went for it, bravo. Glad to hear Paris is okay for mobility, family is coming soon and they have concerns. Might have questions for you later.

pacific northwest
Level Contributor
634 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip summary - family of 5 with one in wheelchair

Thank you, great report!

San Diego
Level Contributor
787 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip summary - family of 5 with one in wheelchair

I'm so glad you had a wonderful trip despite the logistical difficulties you travel with!

I'm especially glad that you found Paris accessible, so that ALL of your entourage were able to enjoy your adventure together!

ALL French (and Parisians) love children - the fact you made this trip and their assistance for you obviously shows the "heart" of French people and should put to a rest once and for all that "French People are rude!

It is wonderful that you and your family could enjoy Paris and enjoy the warm hearts and hospitality of the French that they are so often (and wrongly) accused of not having!

Vive la France!

Our community is here to help!Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trip summary - family of 5 with one in wheelchair

What a great trip report. Thanks for finding the time to write it down. Glad you had a good time.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trip summary - family of 5 with one in wheelchair

Bread - yes, best in the world. People – we love the French. Driving – SCARY. Accessibility – great to have some information.

Thanks for the report.

Avalon, New Jersey
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: trip summary - family of 5 with one in wheelchair

thanks everyone for your comments. I really have become addictied tothis board...

Avalon, New Jersey
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: trip summary - family of 5 with one in wheelchair

I need to leard to spell check before I hit enter ....sorry for the misspellings.

8. Re: trip summary - family of 5 with one in wheelchair

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 00:15