We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Princess Diana memorial in Paris?

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
979 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Princess Diana memorial in Paris?

I'm wondering if there is a memorial spot for Princess Diana. I know that after she died, people placed flowers and tributes near the entrance to the Pont d'Alma. Is this still done?

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
545 Reviews
from US$73.00*
Skip the Line: Eiffel Tower Tour and...
656 Reviews
from US$74.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,213 Reviews
from US$122.00*
Eiffel Tower and Louvre Museum...
821 Reviews
from US$124.60*
San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
167 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Princess Diana memorial in Paris?

There is a memorial spot for Princess Diana. It is at the end of the Pont de l'Alma on the right bank side (16th arrondisement). It is a small monument and was prominently viewed in the movie "Avenue Montaigne". It looks a lot bigger in the movie. You will notice a lot of flowers - it is still filled even after all these years.

The last time I saw them filled with flowers was last November. I think people will be leaving flowers there for a long time to come.

Mentioned in this post
Avenue Montaigne
Avenue Montaigne
156 Reviews
Paris, France
Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
979 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Princess Diana memorial in Paris?

Thanks so much! I would love to place flowers there when I visit next month.

Great Barrington...
Level Contributor
4,266 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Princess Diana memorial in Paris?

Whenever I take people to Paris, they all want to see different things. But the one thing in common is that they ALL want to see the Princess Diana memorial.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Princess Diana memorial in Paris?

It's in the 8th, opposite the Alma Marceau metro station entrance/exit, just beyond the northern end of Pont de l'Alma at Place de l'Alma. You can identify it by the full size replica of the Statue of Liberty's Flame.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
979 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Princess Diana memorial in Paris?

Thanks so much for the exact location! I've not read anything about it on this forum before, I want to make it a stop when we visit the Arc de Triomph.

Florida
Level Contributor
17,361 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Princess Diana memorial in Paris?

That's not actually a memorial for Princess Diana (since it was placed there in 1987), just a convenient spot for a makeshift one, since you can't really safely leave stuff in the tunnel.

"A Flame to Honor Friendship" - Sept 11, 1987

query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html…

Photo:

dkimages.com/discover/previews/775/493208.JPG

Rumson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Princess Diana memorial in Paris?

It has been turned into a makeshift memorial since it is on the overpass of the Pont d'Alma tunnel. From the site, you look down to the tunnel entrance she traveled.

T

8. Re: Princess Diana memorial in Paris?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 14:18