We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canadian Bank Card

Pacific Rim
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Topic
Canadian Bank Card

Can any Canadian here tell me if the regular green TD bank card works in Paris ATM or not? Not a credit card just a regular bank card, I've been told yes from one teller and no on the phone with the bank customer service agent...now confused.

Thanks!!

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
548 Reviews
from US$72.50*
Skip the Line: Eiffel Tower Tour and...
658 Reviews
from US$73.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,213 Reviews
from US$121.30*
Eiffel Tower and Louvre Museum...
821 Reviews
from US$123.80*
Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Canadian Bank Card

Hi --

Look on the back of your card - if you see the Plus system logo or the Cirrus system logo your card will work anywhere in the world that has international ATMs. I've used my Canadian ATM cards with no difficulty - throughout western Europe, in Russia, in Tanzania, throughout Asia, and in Mexico and South America.

My US bank cards have always worked in TD ATMs in Canada, which implies to me that the bank has international affiliations.

Bonne chance et bon voyage.

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Canadian Bank Card

Hi --

I just checked the TD web site - it says you can use any ABM on the Plus system. It didn't just say any Plus system ABM in Canada, so I'd say you're fine. If you're still concerned, call the bank again, and ask to speak to someone who gets paid enough to listen to you bi*ch and moan. That usually will get you a little farther up the ladder to someone who actually knows something.

Good luck.

Paris
Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canadian Bank Card

Hey fellow Canucks,

I can guarantee you the TD green card works fine in Paris for ATMs (I use TD as well).

Do watch out for the fees though: $5 cdn each transaction (ouch!).

But, don't expect your credit cards to work at all places (such as when buying bus/metro tickets and passes) so have euro notes handy.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
146 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canadian Bank Card

Just came back from a week in Paris. 3 of us used our Royal Bank of Canada interac cards. Absolutely no problem. Just turn your card over, and look for the same symbols at the ATM machines. Works just like ours.

Ontario
Level Contributor
51 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canadian Bank Card

Hello!

I called TD regarding this and not only do they charge you 5 bucks per ATM cash withdrawal, there is also a 2.5% commission on the amount withdrawn, built right into the exchange rate so you won't even notice it! This also applies when you use the TD visa directly to make purchases outside of Canada.

Ouch I know! Unfortunately, there is no way to avoid the 2.5% commission it seems. Cash is not safe, and traveler's cheques are no longer convenient or of good value (1% commission when you buy them and another 1% when you use them).

I think you will just have to swallow it, because carrying cash is definitely not the safest way to go.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
24,417 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Canadian Bank Card

If you use cash, not only is it not safe, you also pay 3-15% plus in hidden fees as they are built into the poor exchange rates. Travellers cheque is the cheapest means (majority of people do NOT pay the 1% fee, and best restail exchange rate) but unfortunately not convenient in Europe. Credit/ATM card is the next best deal. TD charges the highest fees and offers the poorest rates among the big banks. Shop around.

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Canadian Bank Card

Hi again --

Re Travelers Checks --

The % for purchase is the least of your worries - the rate of exchange is lousy - if you buy Canadian funds you really can't cash them in any bank in Europe - they don't even want to take Canadian currency ("We don't see enough of it...")- if you buy US funds you'll lose at least 5% on the purchase - if you buy euros, you'll again lose 5% on the purchase - Exchange rates are like statistics - they can be bent in any direction.

The charges to cash TCs are exorbitant - €5 minimum I was told at one bank - and the maximum they would cash for that was $200 US - another bank charged €5 per $100 US according to someone I met in a bank. I don't know what the exchange rate was, but I can guarantee it was not as good as the ATM rate.

One of my Canadian banks is HSBC - I spend half my year in Canada and the other half in the US - American husband - and consequently American banks, as well. HSBC has branches all over the world, and are unbelievably helpful wherever you go. Free ATM transactions require a minimum balance, but I didn't find that particularly onerous. Mind you, I'm old, and actually save money.

Pacific Rim
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Canadian Bank Card

Hi 1BCTraveller,

Sounds like it is a rip off doesn't matter where you go. But the $5 per transaction plus the 2% commission fee do sound a bit outrageous!! Perhaps I should look into getting an account in HSBC.

Have you had any problem with your Canadian issued MasterCard at hotels or restaurants? I have a BMO MC and Amex so I am wondering if those will walk or not? We will be in Europe for a month so will definitely need more cash as we go along.

Thanks for all the help.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,709 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Canadian Bank Card

Well I use my RBC and my TD bankcard in Paris no problem. And, btw, I do NOT pay a penny in added fees( except the added % )

How, get a better account.

I have accounts at both banks that allow no fee foriegn withdrawels. Must keep account balances over certain minimum, which I do, when I return I just transfer money back into higher interest accounts.

Now, this is truth you must understand, most banks are filled with frontline staff that know nothing, yes, harsh but true. I have asked questions to confirm what I have in writing and had tellers and service reps totally clued out, I have always asked for mangement in that case, and then get it confirmed.. my no fee( for foreign withdrawels) accounts always confuse the tellers, so don't let the conflicting informationyou have confuse you. As pointed out by everyone else, any machine with the same symbols ( usaully Plus or Cirrus ) will happily give you money. DO be sure to let bank know you will be doing foreign withdrawels as they sometimes freeze accounts when they see forieng activity on it. This is important, same as with CC.

Montreal, QC
Destination Expert
for Nice
Level Contributor
3,390 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Canadian Bank Card

AMex is not fully accepted as they charge too much o merchants, so small stores and lots of restaurants don't bother with Amex. If you're into luxury goods, the larger stores will accept it )Galeries Lafayette or le Bon Marché for instance).

Your Canadian Master Card will be accepted everywhere except at train stations automatic tellers for tickets and at pumps in gas stations (you just have to pay at the teller and there won't be any problems).

Tell your bank you will be in France (and any other European countries) with the excat dates of your stay. They are eager to block your card if they think the charges are fraudulent.

If you can go to a Bureau de change near your place in BC you probably will get a better rate if you want to buy Euros before departure. Do not bother with the Bureau de change at the airport you will get ripped off the same as if you go to your Canadian bank )no matter what bank!). Credit Union are the worst (Caisses Populaires in Québec).

If you have a Calfore bureau de change nar your place, they usually have good rates.