We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip with 13 yr old in late August

Westport, CT
Level Contributor
127 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Trip with 13 yr old in late August

Hi everyone, I have read many, many posts, and this is a terrific forum. I have a few specific questions. We will be in Paris from 8/16-24. Staying in an apt in Les Gobelins neighborhood. We would like to see all of the classic sites and museums. We would also like to go to a show in the Moulin Rouge. My DD is 13, but is 5'7" and looks older. Can she go to a show, too? Do we buy tickets ahead? An 11:00 show is too late for us; what are the options. Also, I have seen several day trips to Giverny and Versailles (cityrama, museumpass website). Is it advisable to buy/reserve these in advance? Is there a reputable vendor you would recommend? Also, my daugher is very into fashion. Is there someplace special you would take her to satisfy that interest? Perhaps a shop for teenagers, or a street with lots of quirky shops (not interested in haute couture, except for windowshopping!). I have heard that lots of businesses are closed in August. Any advice on that front? Merci beaucoup.

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip with 13 yr old in late August

Enjoy your trip!

Go to the Flea Market for fun vintage and cheap fashion in Port De Clignancourt (end of the metro line 4) on Saturdays and Sundays. But as in most cities and tourst places you should note that pick pockets work the crowds and metro - so be super aware and keep valuables/credit cards in a security belt and only some cash in your pocketbook etc.

If your lodgings have a safe - use it.

Go to Monoprix - a store that has various brances throughout the city - often with large basements with fashion and accessories depts

Go to the Marais Area in the 4th arondisment for local fashion (the area has its own website)parismarais dot com

NB this is like the fashion and gay capital of europe so if that isn't your cup of tea... many shops open 365 days a year in this area

versailles has it's own website where you can book tickets - versailles dot fr

Many smaller shops and restaurants that are not in the main tourist areas will be closed in August

go to the paris office of tourism webiste for lots more information and booking of museums etc. their website is

parisinfo dot com

P.S. there shouldn't be a problem to go to the Moulin Rouge - children over 6 can go - so also look at their website moulinrouge dot fr

simpsonville,sc
Level Contributor
1,355 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip with 13 yr old in late August

Versaille and Giverny are both doable on your own unless you just want to be w/ a group. You'll have more time to wander and get side tracked if you go on your own. For Ver. get a Forfait Loisirs at a RER C station-it includes train fare,ticket to Ver. and an audio guide. Giverny involves a train ride (45 min) to Vernon and the a bus to the home and gardens(highlight of my last trip)

If you know how to Google or Yahoo search the internet is great for planning,also get a guide book that suits you-hang out at bookstore and puruse them -and get a good map.

I know somehow people get tickets to Dept. store fashion shows-use Search box ,someone on TA will know.

Monoprix is a good stop for reasonably priced cosmetics and clothes(bigger branches)

I'm going in Aug and have only seen a couple small Restos. I was interested in would be closed. It is still vacation time for many people so not much closes except Mom and Pop type places. The city still wants our money!!!

Arkansas
Level Contributor
509 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip with 13 yr old in late August

Was just there with my three teens. For specific info. you can type in, say, "Moulin Rouge" in the search box, and research age/ticket prices, etc. With two boys I didn't want to take them to that show! For your daughter, a wonderful teen shop my daughter loved, loved (very reasonable), and bought several things, was Zara, there are many locations I think. Our favorite store was near Bon Marche in the 7th, also stores on Champs Elysees and near Galleries Lafayette. Get a good guide book and look under "Shopping" and it will tell you which Metro stops to use.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,966 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip with 13 yr old in late August

I ahve taken my 14 yr old son to Paris, hubby then took our next son when he turned 14( these are one on one trips ) and this July,( in 8 days actually yeah!) I am taking my 12 yr old daughter to Paris.

Versailles is definately NOT something to do on an overcrowded tour, the best parts like the gardens etc need to be done slowly , enjoy the day so to speak. Do it on your own, OR, consider a Fat Tire Bike Tour there, I have been to VErsailles at least 1/2 dozen times, took the bike tour last year, it was a novel and fun was to do it, and yes you can handle the biking as long as you are normal fit person, I am closer to 50 then not, and do not hang out at the gym,, if I can do it most people can.

Cityrama and Parisvisions are the two main big bug tour companies in Paris, both reliable, established and well known, they do the bus tours, but also offer mini van tours which would be a better choice, if you are rich, LOL

I took son on the Cityrama Loire Chateau daytrip a few years ago, expensive but he enjoyed it.

Moulin Rouge, I don't think they care how old child is do they??? Are you sure you want to spend all that money on that anyways, you could spend it on some great meals and private guides instead and get way more out of it, just a thought.

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip with 13 yr old in late August

Hi --

FYI - Zara is a Spanish chain with stores all over the world - there's a branch in Greenwich - and stores in 25 or 30 other cities in the US. The web site is www.zara.com.

Oregon
Level Contributor
5,112 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip with 13 yr old in late August

How about a fashion show at Galleries Lafayette? They are on Fridays at 3pm and you must have reservations online in advance. Go to the Galleries Lafayette website.

Skip the Moulin Rouge with your 13 year old. It costs a lot of money and is likely to be embarassing to a 13 year old--regardless of how tall she is or how old she looks.

Checkout the website for Musee des Arts Decoratif. They have temporary exhibits which are fantastic. Sometimes they are haute coulture and that might not be interesting for your daughter, as you mentioned. Last Sept. '07 they had an exhibit by Gaultier/Chopinot which was ballet costumes--fabulous. You just never know what you will find there.

There are cute little shops on nearly every street in Paris. It isn't about going to a particular shop but more about having the time to duck into any place you like the looks of as you pass by. Just a heads up that prices are high in a lot of those shops, although they have some nice things.

There is also a fashion outlet just outside of Paris that apparently has discount prices. If you want more information about this either use the search feature on this forum or ask a question about it and people will give you more information.

I agree that Giverny and Versailles are so special that arriving in a big bus with hordes of people would just ruin it for me.

The Marais District now has many boutique shops and adding more all the time. Near the St. Paul Metro stop (on one of the side streets) I found a great new jewelry store where I bought my trip's souvenir--a great necklace.

Some businesses are closed in August. That is when the Parisiens who can afford to go away leave for several weeks. I didn't like going in August for that reason. However, the weather is gorgeous and there are still lots and lots of shops which are open.

Bertillon will be closed on Ile St. Louis but you can find there ice cream at other shops and restaurants. I recommend Amorino for delicious gelato. It is on the same street (Rue St. Louis) on L'Ile St. Louis. There are many other locations too. As far as I know, Amorino will be open in August.

Have a great trip.

Westport, CT
Level Contributor
127 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip with 13 yr old in late August

Thank you everyone, for the excellent suggestions. I am a little surprised by the feedback about the Moulin Rouge being so expensive. Is it that much more than a Broadway show? I am intrigued by the idea of doing the fat bike trip to Versailles. I will have to look into that! Thanks again.

Oregon
Level Contributor
5,112 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip with 13 yr old in late August

By the way, the fashion show at Galleries Lafayette is definitely not haute coulture. It is models around 19 years old who wear "upscale school clothes." I have been twice now and really enjoy it. It sounds like something your daughter might like. It lasts 30 minutes and it is free.

I have heard great things about the Fat Tire Bike tour of Versailles.

Also, how about a segway tour in Paris? The evening tour is especially great because you see the lights of the city, including the twinkling Eiffel Tower. It's like riding down the street in a fancy car--everyone stares and wants to talk to you because it looks like so much fun--and it is. It is a blast. You must be at least 12 years old so your daughter is old enough. Look up Fat Tire Bike Tours or Viacom.com for more information. Compare their prices. They aren't always the same even though it is basically the same company.

I have read lots of bad reviews of the Moulin Rouge. I just read one yesterday. They pack the people in like sardines, it is expensive, the show isn't that good. People have regrets. You have a 13 year old. Paris is so full of fabulous things to do. There won't be a shortage of replacement options.

Be sure to take her to the Opera Garnier for a self-tour or a guided tour or a ballet performance. Now that is worth the money! I think this is the most beautiful building in Paris.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,966 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip with 13 yr old in late August

I would not compare a Broadway show to the Moulin Rouge.

I would expect Broadway is better , although I have never been there.

Frankly the Moulin Rouge was bad Vegas to me, and yes, I have seen both Vegas and the MR.

I guess we all have different budget thresholds though, so perhaps hundreds of dollars is not a big deal to you,, thats alot of wine and cheese to me, LOL

PS I have gone in August and I don't mind it at all, only a few places close down now, and while it used to be for the whole month I notice many are only closing for a few weeks, plus they are likely not to be places that will matter to you. I also like the hotel rates in August, they are usaully lower then June or Sept.

Westport, CT
Level Contributor
127 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip with 13 yr old in late August

OK, the Moulin Rouge is out! All you had to say was "bad Vegas"! We would like to see a live show and will definitely look into the fashion show and the ballet. My DD is a budding opera singer (possibly); is there a "low key" opera house that you would recommend? (For those from NYC, I'm talking about something like City Opera, where the prices aren't outrageous but the production is still great.) BTW, I looked into the Fat Tire Tours; now I'm torn between their trips to Versailles and Monet's Gardens!!