We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kids and art museums

Westport, CT
Level Contributor
127 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Kids and art museums

My husband and I are very excited to go to the Louvre as well as a few other art museums (can't wait to see Rodin; the Rodin Museum in Philadephia whet my appetite!). My question is: does anyone have a clever idea for how to get a young teen excited about going to these museums? She is very into her own creative pursuits and will be well behaved; I was just wondering if there is a book, or a movie, or something to help her make a connection (and enjoy it as much as we do!). Sorry if this sounds like a petty request. Thanks!

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
1,336 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kids and art museums

Dear Westportia,

I think that when people understand what they are seeing, and understand the history of the art and artist, they will become more interested in art itself. Sister Wendy Beckett has written an excellent book called the Story of Painting, which explores western art from cave paintings to modern art. You may also introduce your teen to artist's biographies. Once a teen is interested in the artist, the art becomes more an object to be seen and appreciated. It sounds like you are already an enthusiast. With teens, that may be a deterrent! I would listen to your teen to learn what kind of art appeals to him or her. You might end up at the Pompidou Center to see the modern art or go to the Picasso Museum. I think you'll love the Rodin, as most of the sculptures are set in a beautiful garden.

If you like small, house museums, I would recommend going to the Jacquemart-Andre, which is located on the Blvd. Housemann, in the 8th Arrond. Jacquemart and Andre, husband and wife, were great art lovers, and their collection is on display in their mansion. As part of the entry fee, they provide headsets, with both music and commentary. It only takes an hour or so to go through, and it may set the tone for further exploration. A lovely restaurant is also on the grounds as well as a small, but excellent gift shop.

Bonne chance and bon voyage!

BT

USA
Level Contributor
11 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kids and art museums

Have a look at these sites:

parismomes.fr/surprises/page_surprises.php…

parismomes.fr/surprises/page_surprises.php…

They have ideas to get her involved.

JPH

3. Re: Kids and art museums

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 06:19