We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Chatillon or apartment near Louvre?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
196 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Chatillon or apartment near Louvre?

We're in a dilemma: we don't know whether we should rent an apartment near Louvre (we found it through Vrbo) or stay at Hotel Chatillon in Montparnasse.

Our situation: Honeymoon couple visiting Paris for the 1st time for 5 days/4 nights. We're going early Oct 2008.

Pro of the apartment:

*Access to full kitchen so we can prepare our own meals.

*Easy access to all major tourist spots (big plus!). Located on Jean Jacques Rousseau, which is only a half block from Rue St. Honore

*Home away from home at the last leg of our honeymoon trip. More space for us.

*More romantic - walks along Seine

Pro of the hotel:

*Slightly cheaper than the apartment

*More flexible cancellation policies - can cancel 2 nights beforehand if needed with no penalty

*Maid service and someone to ask at the front desk for directions etc.

*Really close to Metro stations and very convenient to get in and out of the city

*Air-condition. Is it required for Paris in Oct?

We're flying into Paris via Orly and leaving from Charles de Gaulle on a morning flight, so it is important that we can get to the CDG airport easily. We are big foodies so our trip will be planned around our meals, though we will like to hit most of the usual tourist spots in between our chow-hound adventures.

Recommendation and thoughts?

Arkansas
Level Contributor
506 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Chatillon or apartment near Louvre?

Shou...can't speak for the hotel, but the apartment location is a great one. We stayed near there a few weeks ago, you are close to Metro stops, and as you said, easy access for romantic walks along the Seine. And a quick job across Pont Neuf to the Left Bank, or sightseeing on on the Isles (Notre Dame.) We spent evenings (Wed. and Fri.) at the Louvre when it was open, and enjoyed walking through the courtyard up the Tuileries to watch the E.T. light up. Rue de Rivoli has lots of souvenir shops, but they are fine (and affordable!) but Rue St. Honore has fancier shopping. Lots of great cafes, too. The 1st District is a quiet area at night, just depends on what you want. (Of course you don't need AC in October.) For the early airport ride, we called a cab a few days before to arrange.

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Chatillon or apartment near Louvre?

be carefull with VRBO, some good and some ugly deals ...

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
196 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Chatillon or apartment near Louvre?

The apartment I'm looking at seems to get good reviews. Has anyone tried www.francetoyou.com before?

Oregon
Level Contributor
5,095 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Chatillon or apartment near Louvre?

Staying in an apartment is better I think.

And some of your reasons for staying in a hotel aren't really important. You don't need air conditioning in Paris in October. The apartment is within walking distance of many of your destination sites, as well as the Metro. You can ask people in shops or on the street or in the Metro if you need directions about how to get somewhere.

I think a hotel is less private--lots of people coming and going. Maid sometimes knocks on your door when you don't want her to. Sometimes you might inconvenience yourself because you want to be sure the maid includes you on her rounds.

Unless something unforeseen happens, you won't want to cancel because you'd have a heck of a time finding any place else to stay with that type of short notice. In the worst case scenario--if you couldn't stay in the apartment for some reason, it isn't that much money.

I don't know. Those are just some thoughts I had. Good luck making your decision and congrats on your upcoming marriage.

Arkansas
Level Contributor
506 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Chatillon or apartment near Louvre?

Shou - I looked at the Web site, it does look nice, price is good, but did you notice it said "fifth floor walk-up?" Doesn't that mean an American sixth floor? (Luggage can be an issue.) Does not mention an elevator. Also no AC, which you won't need for October, however the higher you are the warmer the building can be. Just maybe ask more questions, or go to some of the other popular apartment companies like vacationinparis.com to compare.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
196 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Chatillon or apartment near Louvre?

Yeah, we noticed the 5th floor up, but since we're young and fit, the floors shouldn't be an issue. We don't have that much luggage anyway. I'll check out vacationinparis.com as well!

Do you have a particular flat that you would recommend from vip?

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Chatillon or apartment near Louvre?

seems to be a good deal at this price, and 5th floor means light and view. VIP have id 38 in the same area, some positive comments from people. Personaly i use id 122 in the 6 th, more pricey, but the area is more convivial than the Louvre area ...

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,573 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Chatillon or apartment near Louvre?

For such a short stay I would choose a hotel.( In Love gets to go for nice long visits, where an apt makes good sense) I sure as heck don't want to cook or make beds on vacation, but especially , on my HONEYMOON,, no way!!

Also, seems like apt always want an up front payment, and once you arrive if its not to your liking, too bad. At least a bad hotel can only keep a night or two as cancellation instead of whole amount, might you, since you are only 4 nights I guess its not such a big deal.

Personally I thought staying in the 1st was dead boring, at night it was dead, and sorry, the row of touristy souvernir shops ( that all sold same stuff) along Rue Du Rivoli gets pretty stale .

I would think the 5th or 6th would be alot more fun and romantic,, I have stayed in both.

Have you looked at this hotel " Henri IV Rive Gauche" or " Hotel des Grand Ecoles" , now, those look romantic !! And won't break the bank.

As noted , a/c is not needed, but keep in mind if hotel or apt faces a busy street to make sure windows are double paned, or get a courtyard room..unless you like traffic noise at 7 am..LOL

CT
Level Contributor
852 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Chatillon or apartment near Louvre?

..I think Joan is right. You are staying for a short period of time. Apts are great but I think for short stays not worth it. If there are any problems with the apt, the last thing you want is to use any of your vacation time to deal with the problem or the landlord. Most importantly, if this were my honeymoon, the last thing I would want to do is cook or make beds..believe me you will have many opportunities to do that in the coming years!

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,034 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel Chatillon or apartment near Louvre?

Staying in an apartment can save you considerably more than staying in a slightly cheaper hotel.

You do not need maid service or a front desk for directions, or air conditioning in October. And, you are correct about the extra space. It's really nice to have places other than the bed or a desk chair for relaxing, especially after a long day of seeing and doing.

In an apartment, just having coffee/breakfast and a fridge for water, juice, wine, etc. will save you plenty.

But, I would recommend that you keep looking.

Five flights of stairs will get really tiresome (to say the least). One of the joys of staying in an apartment is running out each morning for fresh pastries and other breakfast items, and collecting foods for simple meals - the vegetables and other produce, seafood, etc., are just amazing! We also like to return to the apartment to relax before heading out again for the evening. I cannot imagine five flights of stairs going and coming. In Paris you'll be doing more walking than you can possibly imagine, in spite of yourselves. We're usually dragging ourselves "home" from the bus stop. Five flights of stairs would be a definite impossibility.

Hotel Chatillon is pretty far "out there".