We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travelling with Ryan air

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth Australia
Level Contributor
457 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
travelling with Ryan air

My husband and I are going to Paris, Barcelona and Italy for a few days and are going to take carry on luggage only of the allowed 10kg each. Can I also carry my personal handbag or do i need to stuff this into the carry one case. What if I have a small backpack on (handbag size) is that still OK. I noticed there is no email address to ask Ryan air these questions and as i live in australia there is no local office to call either. Some travellers say that Ryan air are really strict and others seen to have no problem. I just wanted to have my documents and my handbag stuff on my shoulder.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
2,495 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travelling with Ryan air

This is the link for RyanAir baggage 'rules'

www.ryanair.com/site/EN/faqs.php?sect=bag

Each fare paying passenger is allowed a total of 15 kgs checked.

For cabin baggage it says

'Strictly one item of cabin baggage is permitted per passenger (excluding infants). Handbag, briefcase, laptops, duty free etc must be carried within your permitted 1 piece of cabin baggage. It should weigh no more than 10kg and not exceed the maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm.'

Indeed budget airlines like RyanAir are extremely strict so I would err on the side of sticking with their policy. The fact you may meet with varying attitudes to enforcing these restrictions at different airports is a point of discussion I suppose.

I'd aim for something very small with your documents etc that you can stuff in your bag after checking in to get through security and then take out once you are air side.

provence
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
1,978 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travelling with Ryan air

Do also take into account that the dimentions include wheels if you have a roll on.

Check your luggage size because when I measured our roll on case which is the standard size accepted as hand baggage it was about 5cm larger than the Rhino Air dimentions.

ireland
Level Contributor
268 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travelling with Ryan air

sonadnsal, I travel with Ryanair all the time from here in Ireland.

I always have my handbag on my shoulder along with my carry on bag.

Sometimes I'm told ''Only one piece of luggage madam'', Or other times no-one says anything.

You know what with RA it really depends on who you meet on the day. My carry on bag has never been weighed or measured.

Sometimes anyone says anything about my handbag, I just take it and put in my big bag and take it out again once on board.

Diz
UK
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: travelling with Ryan air

I think the point is that you need to have room in your carry-on to squeeze in your handbag/backpack if you're challenged. As the previous poster says, it depends on who's on duty - if you're out of luck, you could be forced to check your carry-on as hold baggage, at whatever on-airport fee they charge.

Russell, Kansas
Level Contributor
586 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travelling with Ryan air

There is also the dreaded "bum bag" option. I know many think these bags are horrendous and scream TOURIST, but using one gets me by when using Ryanair. Wearing it close to your body, putting only travel documents and some spare change in it keeps it flattish and I just pull my sweater over it. No one knows it's there. When off the plane, just dump it into your regular backpack/bag.

6. Re: travelling with Ryan air

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 00:19