We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delta vs. Air France to Paris from NY

New York
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Topic
Delta vs. Air France to Paris from NY

Please advise if Delta and Air France to Paris are created equal.

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
481 reviews
from US$72.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,158 reviews
from US$108.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
572 reviews
from US$51.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
460 reviews
from US$331.40*
Level Contributor
3,498 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Delta vs. Air France to Paris from NY

I find them pretty equal. I have felt though, that the seats on AF plans are a bit roomier. It might all be in my head though.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,732 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Delta vs. Air France to Paris from NY

<<<I have felt though, that the seats on AF plans are a bit roomier. It might all be in my head though.>>>

Some Airbus aircraft (AF rather than Delta) have seats which are generally 1" (or 2-3cm) wider than those on Boeing aircraft so it might not be just in your head.

For most travelers, price is a primary motivator in choosing air carriers, ultimately other considerations seem less important.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,958 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Delta vs. Air France to Paris from NY

They codeshare -- so your Delta ticket might actually be on an AF aircraft, and vice versa.

They're basically equal -- AF configures their 777 a little more generously than does Delta, and AF's food is a little better (IMO), but other than that, there's not really a difference.

Dublin, Georgia
Level Contributor
422 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Delta vs. Air France to Paris from NY

I agree - there's not a lot of difference and typically if you book thru Delta, you will end up on an AF flight, even flying out of Atlanta (Delta's main hub) I typically always use Delta, and when flying to Paris, I have delta tickets and an AF plane.

I personally think airplane food is airplane food and if you are riding coach/economy, there is no leg room no matter what airline you travel, because there could always be more. To me the issue lies in how new the aircraft is. The newer the more comfortable, but that info is hard to find.

Houston
Level Contributor
1,247 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Delta vs. Air France to Paris from NY

www.seatguru.com will give you specific info about each type of plane

scarpenter4
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Delta vs. Air France to Paris from NY

at this level isn't usually about who is the cheapest? and if they are both the same...then which one's flight schedule is best for you?

I like American better than either of these.

Clearwater
Level Contributor
316 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Delta vs. Air France to Paris from NY

I find that the flight attendants are nicer on AF (well AF ground is not). Food is better also on AF. We always fly Delta since my DH has miles with them...so we have been on many Delta flights. Only had horrible service with them...

Delta is top notch can't go wrong.

But dont take the American Airlines flight from JFK they always run late!

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,521 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Delta vs. Air France to Paris from NY

We much prefer AF. Beleive it our not, the food is actually not bad for a transatlantic flight. Most seats have personal entertainment screens, and travelers can help themselves to drinks and snacks between meals at the galley.

On our last flight (in coach) we were offered beer, wine, champagne and after dinner liqueurs. If you ask, they'll bring you more.

If possible, see if you can get on the type of plane that has the personal screens so that you can watch the movies when you want and have your own headphones to regulate volume control. You can probably see what kind of plane you would be on prior to booking and then you can go to www.seatguru.com to see if the personal screens are there. You can also make a much better informed decision about what seats you prefer.

On our last Delta transatlantic flight, we did not have the personal screens, they were a bit stingy with the drinks and no refreshments were available between meals. We definitely prefer AF.

Vicki

Clearwater
Level Contributor
316 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Delta vs. Air France to Paris from NY

Speaking of tv's in the seats. I find that we always get tv's in the seats going to Paris but coming home we get stuck with all of the old planes! And that is the time when you are to stay awake!

Plus last few times traveling to Paris i got stuck with people banging on my seat all night watching movies! I had to tell the lady to stop (I thought she would fall asleep...but no ;-(

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
328 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Delta vs. Air France to Paris from NY

I prefer American as well, as I've ended up on smaller planes (2-3-2 vs 3-5-3, which each of my parents got on their AF flights), but there's not a big difference between any of them-- it's a long, cramped flight if you're flying economy, and if you're flying from JFK in the evening, your chances of being delayed or sitting on the runway for hours are pretty good.