We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From a Wino....lol

Canada
6 posts
Save Topic
From a Wino....lol

Hi everybody thanks for reading my post....I am anxious to include the whole wine experience in my travels and France is our first stop...can anyone offer advice as to where to start for this type of vacay?

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Bradford, Yorkshire
Level Contributor
575 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From a Wino....lol

French wine? One of my favourite pleasures!

'Where to start....' is a wide open question, with little to narrow the options.

There are several major wine regions eg Bordeaux, Burgundy, Cotes de Rhone, Champagne, Loire Valley. Each is sub-divided into many individual appellation areas. There are lots of lesser known regions. also sub-divided to appellations eg Fitou, Gaillac, Madiran....... and lots of production outside the Appellation system. The production is also spread wide - from Champagne to Cotes du Roussillon is 950km!

Depends what your particular interest / wine preferences are? Red, white, rose? Do yo want to combine with chateaux, scenery, any specific tourist towns? What are your intended entry & exit points, and how long is your stay? Also, to get the most from rural visits you really need a car.

You can message me direct if you like, glad to help.

Mentioned in this post
Bordeaux
Bordeaux
Gironde, France
Burgundy
Burgundy
Bourgogne-Franche-Comte, France
Loire Valley
Loire Valley
Centre-Val de Loire, France
Garden Grove...
Level Contributor
3,220 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: From a Wino....lol

If you ae buying wine in Paris you can get some really good wine at reasonable prices in the grocery stores. There are wine stores all over the place and some wine bars. I usually go to chanin of wine stores called Nicholas. They have all prices and are friendly and helpful They usually have a dayilly or weekly special. I've not had any bad wine frome there.

Hope this helps.

If you like Champagne you might enjoy a visit to that region. It is quite interesting.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,649 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From a Wino....lol

You can start in Paris, taste some Saint Emilion, Sancerre, Cote du Rhone, Pinot noir and then decide you want to see that region.

Classics are Bordeaux wine, Bourgogne wine, Loire Valley wine, Provence/Cote du Rhone wine.

Perso, I like to have them in Paris and mix them with culture, architecture, theater, concerts, art exhibits, museuma etc.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Saint-Emilion
Saint-Emilion
Gironde, France
Bordeaux
Bordeaux
Gironde, France
Loire Valley
Loire Valley
Centre-Val de Loire, France
4. Re: From a Wino....lol

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 22:16