We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

schedule critic and suggestions for something special please

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
187 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
schedule critic and suggestions for something special please

Wed 9/10- Depart USA

Thurs 9/11

M: Arrive CDG, make our way to hotel

A: Fat tire bike tour

E: Latin quarter

Fri 9/12

(2 day museum pass)

M: Arc de Triomphe

M/A: Champs- Elysees

A/E: Louvre

Sat 9/13

(2 day museum pass)

M: Army Museum

Orsay

A: Sainte- Cahpelle

Notre Dame

E: OPEN

Sun 9/14

Versailles

Mon 9/15

M: Eiffel Tower

M/A: Champ de Mars

E: Seine River Cruise

Tues 9/16

M: OPEN

Depart for USA 1:00pm

We are staying in the 15th close to the Rue de Commerce. I tried to follow a map when planning. We will be traveling via the Metro and/or bus. Does my plan seem logical? I’m looking to fill up my two “open” spots. I would also like to fit in Montmartre if possible somewhere.

Also, I just got a little extra cash for the trip and wanted to surprise my boyfriend with something really special. I was thinking a hot hair balloon ride, but with the Euro to Dollar conversion its looking like that will cost ~$600. I was hoping to spend about half that for something fun and exciting. Any suggestions?

M- morning, A- afternoon, E- evening

Thanks!!

Indian Shores...
Level Contributor
700 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: schedule critic and suggestions for something special please

How about lunch at Le Jules Verne in the Eiffel Tower? I thought it was pretty unforgettable.

simpsonville,sc
Level Contributor
1,355 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: schedule critic and suggestions for something special please

When you are at the Musee Armee cross the street beside it and do the Rodin(on the Pass) even if you just do the sculptires in the garden. There is a outdoor snackbar/cafe in the garden also.

You have spaced things nicely and not too hectic. Have Fun!!

Oregon
Level Contributor
5,095 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: schedule critic and suggestions for something special please

How about surprising your boyfriend with a segway ride. They are either at 10am or at 6pm and they last about 4 hours (you practice first and then off you go). It is just a blast. I did it at night and the city lights (including the twinkling Eiffel Tower) are gorgeous! It's really fun. This would be in the right price range, if I understand you correctly. People just drool with envy when you ride past them. Everyone wants to do it. Find out more at Fat Tire Bikes website or viator.com. Even though both sites lead you to the same segway ride, occasionally their prices vary so you could pick the cheapest one if that is the case.

I suggest that on Friday you start your day on Ile St. Louis wandering around, then visit the Louvre, walk through the tuilleries to the Place de la Concorde and then walk up the Champs-Elysees to the Arc de Triomphe and see the view in the evening. Otherwise, you could reverse the order and end up on Ile St. Louis in the evening and have dinner at one of their many restaurants. Don't miss Ile St. Louis. It is so quaint and village-like. Check out gelato at Amorino on Rue St. Louis, the main street on Ile St. Louis. Delicious and they shape it like a beautiful rose on a cone.

The other thing I encourage you not to miss is Opera Garnier (open on Mondays). I think it is the most beautiful building in Paris--and that is really saying something! Perhaps start your day Monday at Opera Garnier, then visit Jacquemart-Andre (open on Mondays) which is nearby. This is a museum/mansion which is beautiful. They provide an audio guide to use as you go through. Then you could have lunch in their lovely belle epoque restaurant. After that you could make your way to the Eiffel Tower and Champ de Mars and then the Seine trip.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: schedule critic and suggestions for something special please

The only thing that I think bears consideration is the fact that you've planned a Fat Tire Bike tour for the same day you're arriving. If you've traveled to Europe from the US before on an overnight flight, you know how jet lag feels and have taken it into consideration. If not, you may be surprised to learn that it's all you can do to keep your eyes open the day you arrive.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
187 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: schedule critic and suggestions for something special please

Thanks for the suggestions. Looked into segway and since I am pregnant- according to their website- that is a no go. Also looked into lunch at LJV and that might be an option, but I would rather "do something" rather then "eat somewhere"....

Any other suggestions???

Oregon
Level Contributor
5,095 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: schedule critic and suggestions for something special please

I agree about not doing the segway ride while you are pregnant. I'm glad you noticed that.

How about doing at tour at Musee des Arts Forains in Bercy Village (Metro: Line 14--Meteor--no driver; you get off at Cour St.-Emillon) This is a tour of antique fairground arts. You can look up their website. I did the tour on a Saturday and I don't know if they offer them on other days too. The thing I do know is that you absolutely must have a reservation in advance. Contact diane@pavillons-de-bercy.com and diane will email back to you with a confirmation. It is very inexpensive (around 15E) and really different from other things in Paris. Diane, the tour guide, only speaks French but you don't need to know what she is saying. You get the gist anyway. You ride on a couple of simple (not at all dangerous) rides, play an old game, etc. It is fun.

If you look this up on "search" at the top of this forum you are liable to read how much people enjoyed it.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,530 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: schedule critic and suggestions for something special please

Just back from Paris and have a couple of time saving hints for you, the line at Versailles for tickets was INSANE, fortunately we bought the train/admission ticket at the Invalides RER station and waited only about 2 minutes plus it saved us a few euro. We packed a nice picnic lunch and had it in the gardens after touring the state apts.

The line for the towers of Notre Dame was equally insane, we got there at around 10:15 and waited for well over an hour to go up. Not sure if you'll do that if you're pregnant but queue up before it opens and you shouldn't wait nearly as long. No elevator so it's a lot of climbing. But oh what a view!!! I'd move St. Chapelle and Notre Dame to the morning, queues get worse as the day wears on. Musee d'Orsay has a separate entrance for Museum pass holders, Invalides isn't that busy but you can't dodge the lines at the Towers of Notre Dame and I believe the same is true of St. Chapelle because of security.

We had the worst meal we've ever had abroad in the Latin Quarter, I'm still mad at myself for picking that place to eat, if you are planning on eating there, hopefully you can find a recommendation before going. Or eat somewhere else unless you want a casual meal of kebabs.

Toronto
Level Contributor
48 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: schedule critic and suggestions for something special please

LoveChicago--do you mind my asking where you ate in the Latin Quarter? We are going there next week (staying in the Latin Quarter) and don't want to waste time and euros!

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,530 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: schedule critic and suggestions for something special please

We got suckered into one of the set price menu places called Hellenis at 11 rue Xavier Privas, I really should have known better but I was tired and hungry. The 1st tip off should have been that I was eating French food at a Greek restaurant, when the waiter put the straw hats on our heads we should have ran for the nearest exit. We saw all kinds of lovely looking kebabs go by with huge prawns and large chunks of meat (I'm sure they were sold by weight and very expensive) while we waited and waited, literally we had our bags in our hand and had gotten up to leave when our food came. It was nasty and overcooked, we tried to send it back, the waiter acted dumb, we argued with him and the "manager", it was just dreadful.

I've had good takeaway kebabs in the Latin Quarter and I've even had good raclette and fondue but it's really a crap shoot, if someone is outside trying to hustle you in, it's a good sign that you should run far, far away!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
657 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: schedule critic and suggestions for something special please

Angel - Firstly congratulations on your pregnancy!

I am just wondering why the segway tour would not be recommended for pregnant women compared to riding a bike?

I am interested in the segway tour myself now that I have read your post. I'm not pregnant but just wondering how physical it might be?

Jane