We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tedious transportation question

Westport, CT
Level Contributor
127 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Tedious transportation question

I am currently in Paris, having the time of my life, have tried to plan, read previous posts, etc., but I am still not sure on reading the transport maps. I am trying to get from Metro line 7, Les Gobelins, to Versailles on RER C. But I see Rive Gauche, and Rive Droit, and on the actual RER map (which I have in front of me), it looks like there are 3 stops in Versailles. Would a patient soul please help me figure out where to switch from the 7 to the RER, and then, in what direction should I take the RER C? Merci beaucoup and I can't wait to post my recap.

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
174 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tedious transportation question

Hello Westportia,

I am not sure, but when we were in Paris last week the RER line C was closed between St. Michel and Champs du Mars - if it is you will need to do a bit of hopscotching to get the the RER C line. My advice would be for you to walk to the Denfert Rochereau station and take line 6 (Charles de Gaulle Etoile) to Bir Hakeim and then walk to the Champ du Mars station (they connect) and get your RER line C ticket there. As for the Versailles stop, it's easy - it's the last stop on the train!! Just make sure when you board the train to Versailles you check to make sure the destination listed begins with a "V" - that is how you know that specific train goes to Versailles!

Good luck and have a great trip!!!

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,751 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tedious transportation question

Until this Saturday, there is work along RER C with shuttle service replacing some trains. I am not sure how this might affect your plans. However one sure way to avoid all construction is to:

1. Enter the Méto at Les Gobelins

2. Take line 7 (direction Villejuif) one stop to Place d'Italie

3. Transfer here to Line 6 (direct Etoile) to Bir-Hakeim

4. Transfer from Bir-Hakeim (using the underground walkway, do not exit the Métro) to RER C at Champs de Mars.

5. Board RER C (direction Versailles-Rive Gauche and exit there)

Make sure you purchase a ticket valid for zone 4.

Westport, CT
Level Contributor
127 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tedious transportation question

Thanks to both of you. I know how to get to Bir Hakeim, so I'll try that. I walked to Denfert-Rochereau this morning, to check out the RER B line back to CDG. We have a very early flight on Sunday morning, and we were concerned that the ticket booth would not be manned at 6am (we already confirmed that our credit cards do not work in the wall machines--BTW, true of our Citi-MC and our Chase-blink-Visa). So we bought the tickets from the person on duty today for use later this week.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,751 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tedious transportation question

The first train from Denfert-Rochereau to CDG is 5:18. Plan on 45 minutes en route. Weekday frequency is one about every 15 minutes. I am not sure about weekend frequency so give yourself plenty of time.

5. Re: Tedious transportation question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 23:18