We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CDG Airport, rental car, and carte orange Questions

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
DFW, Texas
Level Contributor
157 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
CDG Airport, rental car, and carte orange Questions

We are flying to CDG and meeting up with friends there. We land at Terminal 2A with American Airlines and they land at Terminal 2E with Air France about an hour later than us.

We are driving to the Loire Valley from the airport before our stay in Paris and have arranged for a Hertz Rental Car.

We plan on picking up the rental car and then driving down to gate 2E and picking up our friends. Is that a good idea? Is the Hertz desk right there in the terminal? If so, where is it? Do you pick up the car in the terminal or do you have to go offsite? Is it better to go ahead and pick up the car and drive down to pick up our friends outside of their terminal, or is it better to leave the car parked, gather our friends and all leave at the same time? Is there parking just outside of the Terminal?

On another note, where do we purchase the carte orange passes? I have read that you can purchase those for the following week at the airport and that you need a passport size photo to afix to it. Is that correct? If we have pictures from our friends, can we go ahead and purchase theirs for them as well?

Thanks so much for your help.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
20,855 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: CDG Airport, rental car, and carte orange Questions

<<<We plan on picking up the rental car and then driving down to gate 2E and picking up our friends. Is that a good idea?>>>

No, there is very short term, drop off parking only in front of the terminal. Picking up a rental just to drive once around terminal 2 to the parking lot is ill advised. It would be better to know that your friends are not arriving late before you commit to your rental car. Otherwise you'll needlessly be paying to park it somewhere.

<<<Is the Hertz desk right there in the terminal?>>

There are car rental offices (and cars) on the lower level of each section of terminal 2. You could pick up at terminal 2E.

Trying to drive across Paris and then 2-3 hours onto the Loire Valley after having just spent the previous night on a trans Atlantic flight as well as an undetermined amount of time waiting for additional passengers before you're actually on the road is not a safe practice. I urge you in the strongest terms to reconsider this plan. Fatigue, high speeds, and unfamiliar roads stretch the limits of highway safety sufficiently to be outright dangerous.

Take the train to the Loire Valley and pick up a rental car the following day. There are many options for reaching your destination by train including TGV from CDG directly to St Pierre des Corps.

USA
Level Contributor
27,107 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: CDG Airport, rental car, and carte orange Questions

You could do as you suggest--pick-up the rental car first and then try to find your friends...but this probably isn't the best idea. Driving around a strange and very busy and crowded airport, searching for people at the curb and places to park or pull over isn't the best solution.

A better plan might be to do one thing at a time--actually arrive at CDG #2-A first...then make your way through the interconnected CDG arrival terminals to CDG #2-E (approx 700 yards) and meet your traveling companions as they come through the #2-E Customs exit....then go make your way to the Hertz

HERTZ Rental Locations at CDG--

aeroportsdeparis.fr/Adp/en-GB/Passagers/NosS…

You may purcahse a weekly (valid from First Train, Monday AM until Last Train, Sunday PM) CARTE ORANGE transportation pass for the NEXT week, beginning on FRIDAY of the CURRENT week....not before. The only places at CDG that you can purchase the CARTE ORANGE transportation pass will be at one of the two(2) RER stations located within CDG (there is an RER station on the lowest level of the SNCF/TGV/RER train station inter-connected between CDG #2-C & D and # 2-E & F. You will have to pass through it on your way from CDG #2-A to CDG #2-E.

FL
Level Contributor
112 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: CDG Airport, rental car, and carte orange Questions

We arrived at CDG this past Tuesday morning. Arrived on Air France. The desk was on site as well as pick up of car. Make sure you have a copy of your guaranteed rate. When all the paper work was done and my husband went to sign I noticed the rate was a lot more than what we expected. I had printed out my confirmation and had that to show them. They seemed surprised that there was a 200 Euro difference.

We drove to Dijon. I must admit we were tired. I don't think ever to the point where driving was unsafe. We also purchased a GPS that covers Europe. We figured just two trips will pay for it. That little thing did a great job of getting us here. In the past we printed our directions on map quest. This was so much better.

Have a safe trip

DFW, Texas
Level Contributor
157 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: CDG Airport, rental car, and carte orange Questions

Thanks everyone for your helpful information. After looking at it, we will do as suggested and walk down to terminal 2E and wait on our friends just outside of customs and then pick up the rental car.

Sarastro, where abouts in Dallas do you live? We are up in Little Elm. Good suggestion about taking the TGV down to St Pierre Pres de Corps. We had looked at that, but even with Prem's fares the cost both ways for the four of us was prohibitive. The plan is to take it easy the first day. We will stop in Chartres for some lunch and to look at the Cathedral, and then head to our hotel outside of Amboise and not a whole lot else that day.

We will drop the rental car back at the airport on Monday and will pick up our Carte Orange passes that morning at the RER station as we head into Paris.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
20,855 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: CDG Airport, rental car, and carte orange Questions

<<<even with Prem's fares the cost both ways for the four of us was prohibitive.>>>

Why do you need to take the train both ways? There are no one way drop off fees for rentals within France. Take the train (you can take it to Amboise from Gare Austerlitz) and drive the car back to Paris.

<<<We will drop the rental car back at the airport on Monday>>

By "airport". I assume you are talking about Orly. It would be absolutely foolhardy to drive across Paris to reach CDG and then pay for transportation back into Paris.

DFW, Texas
Level Contributor
157 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: CDG Airport, rental car, and carte orange Questions

Well, maybe I'm mistaken, but this is what the Hertz website says and had a drop fee of 54 Euros.

Rate Details

Selected Vehicle

Daily 4 days at 43.14 EUR

( With unlimited free kilometers )

Rate Code WEXDMC

Additional Items Included In Total Approximate Charge:

Drop fee 54.00 EUR

estimated mileage 0.00 EUR

tax 51.73 EUR

location service charge: 29.00 EUR

vehicle licensing fee and road tax 8.40 EUR

Discounts

No Affiliations applied

Total Approximate Charge 315.69 EUR

This was from St Pierre des Corps dropping the car at Disneyland Paris TGV. The same held true even to pick up the car at CDG and drop it there by our condo.

It would be great not to have to drop the car back off at the airport, but since we will have the passes anyway for the week, there really won't be any additional costs involved.

If there are any other options, I would love to hear about them.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
20,855 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: CDG Airport, rental car, and carte orange Questions

druisinsince75,

You have found one of the only one-way drop off fees I have ever seen for an ordinary automobile rental in France.

Have you tried Avis, the only other company offering the pickup/drop off locations you have selected. I do not know the type of car you require or the dates you have selected but my "in to blind" quote was significantly less than the Hertz quote you received:

http://www.avis.com/

Normally, I use AutoEurope when renting or leasing a vehicle in France but the only affiliate they have between these two points is Hertz (and one way charges).

Alternatively, through AutoEurope, you could pickup a car in Tours and drop it off 4 days later at Orly in Paris and pay under $300.

DFW, Texas
Level Contributor
157 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: CDG Airport, rental car, and carte orange Questions

Thanks for the help Sarastro! I checked out Avis and it is definately less. Plus there are no drop charges and we can drop the car in Marne La Valle instead of having to take it back to the airport.

9. Re: CDG Airport, rental car, and carte orange Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 15:20