We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

French Chocolate bars?

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
Level Contributor
4,559 posts
453 reviews
Save Topic
French Chocolate bars?

Does anyone the name of French Chocolate bar? I want to take some home for my husband and friends.

We have La Nestle and Le Cadbury chocolate bars in Canada.

Level Contributor
3,493 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: French Chocolate bars?

Valrhona is excellent. Milka is decent chocolate (not as high end as Valrhona but plentiful). So is Le Poulain.

Just go to Monoprix and see the candy section, there are dozens to choose from.

Montreal, QC
Destination Expert
for Nice
Level Contributor
3,344 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: French Chocolate bars?

Every trip (and that is at least once a year) I bring back 3 dozens of 100g Milka chocolate bars. The "Lait alpin" one (that is milk chocolate) comes in 3 bars-pack and they go for abit over 2 euros a pack.

Be aware of the weight though, 36 bars = 3.6 kg ... or if you prefer 10 bars = 1 kg.

Their expiry date is about 9 months away (just bought them last Friday and their date is June 23, 2009)

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,390 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: French Chocolate bars?

Carrefour do their own range, which are quite good. There's currently a box of Carrefour Belgian chocolates on the go here!!

But just be cautious - a lot of the French chocolate has nuts added. More so than Cadbury or Nestle, so if there are nut allergy sufferers (like Myself and my son)just be careful.

(And just to clarify - not a major allergy but we're both asthmatic and eczematic so we are warned off. So, we can do the "may contain traces" stuff. )

paris
Level Contributor
2,646 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: French Chocolate bars?

Best one is Cote d'or : milk chocolate and hazelnuts are to die for

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,273 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: French Chocolate bars?

If you can find it, Cazenove! They're a chocolate bar maker in Bayonne, France and I've seen their bars in Paris.

Many of the brands listed above arent French.

You may want to splurge on Christian Constant, or Gerard Mulot.

Tours, France
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: French Chocolate bars?

As an English chocoholic who emmigrated to France twelve years ago, it has taken me almost ten years to wean myself off Cadburys Dairy Milk.

I am now definitely addicted to Cote d'Or french Chocolate.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: French Chocolate bars?

What is wrong with Belgian ? Galler, Cote d'Or and others are available at grocery stores in Paris.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,537 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: French Chocolate bars?

About twenty years ago a big battle raged in France and some other parts of the EU over chocolate, in particular the meaning of chocolate.

Until then there were very few relatively cheap chocolate bars available. The master chocolatiers decreed that proper chocolate (ie theirs) was a fine art and should not be cheapened. An attempt was even made to outlaw the use of the word chocolate in the EU for for the cheaper variety which had a lower cocoa content. They were desperate to keep out Cadbury's, Mars and even some Swiss varieties. A lot of people, however, wanted cheap, affordable, chocolate bars that they could nibble when they wanted to. Posh chocolate was all very well for special occasions or as presents, but the price had made it a tad too exclusive. A fudged compromise was reached about packet labelling, but cheap chocolate bars finally arrived in France.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: French Chocolate bars?

>> A fudged compromise was reached about packet labelling, but cheap chocolate bars finally arrived in France. <<

I guess that the fact that Menier chocolate bars have existed for more than 150 years and Poulain for 160 years stands up in front of your crafted France-EU battle romance ...

Tours, France
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: French Chocolate bars?

"I guess that the fact that Menier chocolate bars have existed for more than 150 years and Poulain for 160 years stands up in front of your crafted France-EU battle romance ..."

In defence of Wansteader, this is not a "crafted France-EU battle romance". I well remember a few years ago that the EU were saying that many English chocoalte bars should not be allowed to be called chocolate, because the cocoa content was less than that in many continental bars of chocolate. French chocolate traditionally is darker, with a higher cocoa percentage.

Thankfully this EU proposal to ban English chocolate went the same as other ridiculous EU proposals such as to ban curved bananas, English Sausages, etc.