We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transportation confusuion

NJ
Level Contributor
750 posts
209 reviews
Save Topic
transportation confusuion

I have read but I'm still confused. Sorry.

We will fly into CDG AP on a Wed afternoon & want to get to the Marriott Rive Gauche 17 Boulevard Saint Jacques.

We don't really want to spend the money for a taxi.

I am normally pretty good at public transit but the rapt.fr & the Roisseybus are confusing me. Is there a way to do this? On the website, I ended up w/ route that was going to require an 18 minute walk. I can't do that with luggage.

If we just came up out of the RER can we hail a cab? Did I pick the wrong RER? I think there were 3.

Once we get settled in, I understand there are 10 ticket books or something called a Carte d'Orange that doesn't include transportation on Saturday. We'll be leaving Saturday so if we have to buy 1 other ticket OK. Also if we go to Versailles that is extra, not included in the Orange ticket, right?

Am I close to understanding this?

TIA / Merci.

NJ
Level Contributor
750 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transportation confusuion

Never mind about the 1st part. I found the answer on the hotel's web site.

But I'd still love & appreciate some help about the metro cartes.

Eindhoven...
Level Contributor
2,436 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transportation confusuion

You're right - the RATP route planner behaves irrationally. When I entered "17, rue Saint-Jacques", it decided that this couldn't be right, and inserted "17 Rue des 2 Boulevards SAINT-MAUR-DES-FOSSES" - a location in a suburb. This results in a 18 minute walk - to the wrong location...

You can find better suggestions by entering "17 Boulevard Saint-Jacques Paris-14EME".

One option is to take RER-B (dir. Saint-Remy-les-Chevreuse) to Denfert-Rochereau, and change there to bus line 216 to stop "Dareau-Saint Jacques".

(you might also walk from Denfert-Rochereau to your hotel - it's about 600 m)

Both the carnet tickets and the Carte Orange are valid on saturdays, but "normal" carnet tickets are for zone 1-2 (and the airport is way out in zone 5). And while you could buy a Carte Orange for zone 1-5, it would probably be cheaper to buy a separate 1-5 zone ticket for the day you travel to or from the airport - and carnets, Mobilis day tickets or a 1-2 zone Carte Orange for the rest of the time.

CA
Level Contributor
7,577 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transportation confusuion

Take RER B to Denferet-Rochereau and then line 6 of the Metro [direction--Nation] and get off at St Jacques, which is the first stop. There are other ways, but that's the most direct.

You can get a map on ratp.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transportation confusuion

The ratp site has some idiosyncrasies but it's a great tool, once you get used to them.

The Carte Orange (CO) operates Mondays through Sundays - and, though anyone can buy one, it's basically a commuter product for Parisiennes. You get unlimited travel on bus, metro and RER train services in the zones covered by the pass.

The Zone 1/2 CO product covers central Paris (ie: the 20 arrondisments) only. You can buy a CO that will cover Versailles as well, but when we did that day trip, we just bought a supplementary ticket. Better value.

By the way, if you are thinking of getting a CO you need a passport sized (or thereabouts) photo. Bring it with you - the photo machines at the metro stations are fiendishly unreliable and gobble up euros with no comeback.

A book of 10 tickets - a carnet - may be a better option, depending on what days you’ll be there, how much public transport you think you'll use and how much you value the convenience of an unlimited trip product. Again, you can use the tickets from you book of 10 on any of the services operating in the zones for which the ticket permits travel.

NJ
Level Contributor
750 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: transportation confusuion

Great to know about the need for a photo. TY! We're not there that long so it's probably not an issue; I exect you can purchase a R/T ticket good that day only w/o this photo if we have enough time to go to Versailles?

6. Re: transportation confusuion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 06:25